Question for Team JDM

Hawgman

THE fucking bad guy
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Read on another board where a user there just got back from visiting you guys, getting a tune tweaked, might have been some other stuff, don't really remember...

Anyway, he said that Team JDM does not recommend a catch can for Saleen supercharged cars, that it is bad for the supercharger and they need the oil blow by to lubricate them. He also said that you guys have seen scarred up rotors and cases on cars that run catch cans. He said that you guys told him that Saleen and Whipple both advise not running catch cans.

Was wondering if you cared to elaborate over here on the subject since there are quite a few supercharged cars of all flavors here, and quite a few of those cars run catch cans.

ClassJ

Powershifter
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
idk about blower rotor wear but I consider a little upper cyl lubrication a good thing in most cases as long as it does not get excessive or start to cause buildup or detonation.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Hawg - the owner is question is a friend of mine.

Here's his quote:

They went on to say the oil does 2 things. It both lubricates the rotors and also provides a better seal of the rotors to the case increasing efficiency and HP. They cautioned that no oil getting in there could cause the rotors to gouge the case, resulting in even a poorer seal and subsequent loss of HP. They said they''''ve seen scratched cases b/c of this.

(and I didnt think you went to that other site :poke: )

Born To Run

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Question for JDM

Read on another board where a user there just got back from visiting you guys, getting a tune tweaked, might have been some other stuff, don't really remember...

Anyway, he said that Team JDM does not recommend a catch can for Saleen supercharged cars, that it is bad for the supercharger and they need the oil blow by to lubricate them. He also said that you guys have seen scarred up rotors and cases on cars that run catch cans. He said that you guys told him that Saleen and Whipple both advise not running catch cans.

Was wondering if you cared to elaborate over here on the subject since there are quite a few supercharged cars of all flavors here, and quite a few of those cars run catch cans.

How could they regulate how much oil is delivered to the case or rotors.
There could be no blow by or a whole bunch.
What if a guy never runs in the boost range.
Not all motors & cars are exactly the same!!!
Lets hope they chime in on this one.

Hawgman

THE fucking bad guy
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
(and I didnt think you went to that other site :poke: )

Actually someone emailed it to me because he just finished putting a catch can on his car and he knows that I have one on mine.

SC boss

watch this!
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I cant beleive that JDM would not share this information a little louder with this forum, especially since (according to Dons power poll) 40% of our members have a twin screw or roots blower! If this is true I really feel for all that have purchased this but who wants to hook me up with a good deal on your used one?!:makeadeal:

MSgt46270

Reaction score
Your talking about this type of item?

Oilseperator001.jpg

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
KB runs a seperator on all of their s197 kits now. I fail to see how one PD blower needs the oil on the rotors and another doesnt. especially considering the basic design is ultimately the same.

All i know is i was fouling my plugs without the catch can and it immediately stopped when i installed the catch can. These blowers have self contained oil for the parts that need oil. The rotors do not and should not have oil on them

06FMGT

forum member
Reaction score
What oil separator is that? Or is it a self made one? If so what are the part numbers?

Born To Run

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
JDM question

KB runs a seperator on all of their s197 kits now. I fail to see how one PD blower needs the oil on the rotors and another doesnt. especially considering the basic design is ultimately the same.

All i know is i was fouling my plugs without the catch can and it immediately stopped when i installed the catch can. These blowers have self contained oil for the parts that need oil. The rotors do not and should not have oil on them

+1 on that Ron.

Hawgman

THE fucking bad guy
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
No mention of KB?

There was no mention of KB in the post. Perhaps KB recommends a catch can. Or as Ron said maybe they are included now.

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I don't have the part numbers, but it was a PITA to build.

I started with one of those as well, and its the on KB includes in their kit, however it fills too quickly and al ot of the oil gets sucked right through the seperator to the other side. go with a stefs catch can and you cant go wrong.

There was no mention of KB in the post. Perhaps KB recommends a catch can. Or as Ron said maybe they are included now.

Yes Kb includes them in all the s197 kits now.

The entire point of recycling the oil into the intake is for emmissions purposes only, nothing else

J

jbailer

I'm hoping Jim or Chris from JDM will chime in but one of the things they told me when I asked about this was the concern of introducing a vacuum leak. I got the Stef's separator and tested the assembly before installing it to ensure there were no leaks.

I was getting so much oil through there I HAD to do something. I had oil running through my throttle body and out of my intake. Plus it was all over the plugs.

BTW, if you are ordering a Stef's can you should know that you can specify the threads when ordering. I got the 5123 because I wanted the AN threads for the whole SS braided line setup. Since the PCV tube is 5/8, I had them put male -10 fittings in and out to reduce the number of fittings (no reducers). If you don't care about the braided line, I think the 5128 is the base part number for the can with NPT threads and you can specify the threads there too. It just takes a little longer to get the can while they make it, not long. -Joe

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
slightly off topic.... anyone know if this issue of oil in the TB is as prevalent on the Centri style set ups?

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back