Wire Tuck and cleanup engine bay

2k05gt

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I was bored and hated the underhood wiring that ford gave us, I tried to do a quick wiretuck and it was driving me nuts, I could not understand why they made the harness like this. Who makes this stuff up..

anyway it took 16 hours and alot of advil and not the results I wanted.
to do what I wanted to do would have required cutting up the harness and extending the wires, not what I wanted to get into right now. If I find a couple of harnesses I will work on making one that will hide 80%

July2011-1.jpg

July2011-2.jpg

July2011-3.jpg

July2011-4.jpg

July2011-5.jpg

Last edited:

RetroGT2006

06 S197 Member
Reaction score
I wish i had the knowledge/patience to do something like this.. It looks way cleaner, all i would change is the Fuse box/PCM out of the engine bay, along with the battery. Thats just how i'd love to do it one day, not downning your work at all. I think it looks great! =)

2k05gt

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I made them, Magna-Clamp and steel-braided line covers.

I am thinking about flipping the PCM to face the rear, this would extend the harness atleast 10 inches.
I can move the AC evap cable to the head light harness. that will reduce 4 wires. it's hard because of the common
Red wires that are all soildered together in the harness that is used for the COP's, Injectors, TB and Cam sensors.
this is the single biggest issue with the wiring. IMO.

Last edited:

blue streak

forum member
Reaction score
What exactly did you have to do to get the big hunk of harness that covers the pass. valve cover down and off the cover? that's my biggest problem.

Wicked GT

OCD with ADD...
Reaction score
Looks super clean, congrats!!!! I try not to look at the wires as my OCD makes me start trying to do what you did. I just close the hood as I don't have the time or patience to get started on it right now.

Solar_Eclipse2

forum member
Reaction score
I made them, Magna-Clamp and steel-braided line covers.

Do you have a spot to get a lot of them cheap? Also which sizes did you use for which hoses?

I'm not skilled enough to do a wire tuck but I would like to at least dress up some of the hoses.

2k05gt

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
What exactly did you have to do to get the big hunk of harness that covers the pass. valve cover down and off the cover? that's my biggest problem.

I took all the wire loom and tape off, then seperated the wires that went to the COP'S, Injectors, TB and Cam / phaser sensors and retaped the others. I had to extend a red common wire that feeds the COP'S and Injectors 8 inches with red 18 guage wire, I soildered them, used RTV to seal and covered with shrink wrap. then taped it back up. the bulk of the wires are along the passenger side fender.

Total PITA, I am not sure I would do it again. I think I will merge 2 harnesses into 1 and re-run several wires. I would also like to make a plug for the cables on the top of the engine for easy removal.

Waterproof automotive connectors
10_pins_waterproof_auto_connector.summ.jpg
10_pins_male_waterproof_auto_connector.summ.jpg

Last edited:

2k05gt

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Do you have a spot to get a lot of them cheap? Also which sizes did you use for which hoses?

I'm not skilled enough to do a wire tuck but I would like to at least dress up some of the hoses.

Ebay is a good place to get them. Search Magna clamp, It's a worm style hose clamp with a nice anodized Red/Blue Aluminum cover....

Jegs has a huge sellection, Spectre I think makes them.

I will put together a list and post it in the DIY section, Including the Radiator hoses

2014_GT

Bowtie Bitch-Slapper
Reaction score
I was bored and hated the underhood wiring that ford gave us, I tried to do a quick wiretuck and it was driving me nuts, I could not understand why they made the harness like this. Who makes this stuff up..

I worked at Ford as an engineer and dealt with this issue quite a bit. The harness design and placement has to to account for mass production not just aesthetics. Remember, roughly one Mustang rolls off the assembly line about every 60-70 seconds which means each operator (assembly line worker) has that amount of time to perform all their functions while the vehicle is at their station.

Solar_Eclipse2

forum member
Reaction score
Ebay is a good place to get them. Search Magna clamp, It's a worm style hose clamp with a nice anodized Red/Blue Aluminum cover....

Jegs has a huge sellection, Spectre I think makes them.

I will put together a list and post it in the DIY section, Including the Radiator hoses

You're the man! I would really appreciate the list. You did a great job and it looks :supercool:

blue streak

forum member
Reaction score
I took all the wire loom and tape off, then seperated the wires that went to the COP'S, Injectors, TB and Cam / phaser sensors and retaped the others. I had to extend a red common wire that feeds the COP'S and Injectors 8 inches with red 18 guage wire, I soildered them, used RTV to seal and covered with shrink wrap. then taped it back up. the bulk of the wires are along the passenger side fender.

Total PITA, I am not sure I would do it again. I think I will merge 2 harnesses into 1 and re-run several wires. I would also like to make a plug for the cables on the top of the engine for easy removal.

Waterproof automotive connectors
10_pins_waterproof_auto_connector.summ.jpg
10_pins_male_waterproof_auto_connector.summ.jpg
Thats what I was thinking. My engine bay is currently empty so Im trying to clean up a bit.. And the connector idea would be pretty cool.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back