Opti-Coat 2.0, my review

MLC40

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Ok, let me state that I am not in the same league as the experts on here like Seer. Before I bought this car I bought all my car cleaning and care supplies at Kmart. Since I bought this car I stepped up on the care and have tried a number of higher end products like (Zaino, Fusion, Pinnacle Souveran, BFWD etc. The following is my thoughts on Opti-Coat 2.0 (OC).

I love having my car look great but I love racing it more. Part of racing is always trying to win which results in hours working on stuff. As a result I was looking for a product that would look great and last longer than the stuff I had tried. OC claims that it will last forever but if it last a couple of years I will be happy.

From my reading on this product the key is making sure you have a clean surface for the OC to bond to. Also, since this is a "permanent" coating you better have the finish the way you want before you apply it. I foamed, washed, Ironx and Tarx, clayed, polished, jeweled, foamed and the did a wipe down with eraser before applying the OC. As you may imagine this took a lot of time.

Applying OC is about as easy as you could get. You simply wipe it on and as long as you don't do too much it bonds to the paint, no buffing off required. The first few panels I did I used too much and needed to wipe the excess off. This is very easily done with a MF towel. It is very cool to watch the OC bond, it flashes off in seconds.

I did this in my garage with pretty good lighting and thought I was careful but as luck would have it I missed some spots where I applied too much OC. Those spots look like you have some quick detailer on the car that should wipe off with a light swipe, they don't. To fix these screw-ups you need a mild polish. I removed my screw-ups by hand using PO85RD, a very mild polish. It is was very easy to fix these screw-ups which is great because I was pissed I left them.

So was all this worth it? I don't know yet. The car looks great and water flows off the car like no other product I have used. If this lasts I will be very impressed. If the weather holds I will be at the track on Saturday and will get the car very dirty. I will see how the clean-up goes after the track and will monitor how long this product lasts. I will update this thread once in a while to let everyone know what I think but for now I am very happy.

If you were considering this product but were worried about applying it I would say don't worry. It is very easy to use and even if you screw it up it can be fixed in minutes.

Thanks for reading and thanks to the real detailing experts on here like Seer for all their helpful posts.

Seer

forum member
Reaction score
Glad you enjoy the product. You should top it with Opti-Seal which is one of Optimum's new wipe on walk away spray sealants. It will add a lot of slickness to the surface.

MLC40

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Glad you enjoy the product. You should top it with Opti-Seal which is one of Optimum's new wipe on walk away spray sealants. It will add a lot of slickness to the surface.

I will get some and try it. I was thinking about putting on coat of V07 for slickness but I want to see how it cleans up with nothing on top. Also, I was going to top it with Souveran when I want it to really pop. The bad thing about Souveran is it does not last.

superslow86

forum member
Reaction score
Nice. I have been tossing around the idea of doing this. Hopefully it is a good as they say it is. Any before/after pics?

MLC40

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Nice. I have been tossing around the idea of doing this. Hopefully it is a good as they say it is. Any before/after pics?

I don't have any before or after pics per say but I have a lot of pics of the car and can snap some Saturday morning before I head to the track if you want. I am not sure what you can see in a pics but the paint is as close to perfect as I can make it.

MLC40

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Update

So far so good. The burnout rubber came off with a hose and the car cleaned up from the track fine. Ran a new PB, will post that in the correct section later.

superslow86

forum member
Reaction score
Nice. So overall, you are happy with it so far? any issues yet even though it has only been a month? Did you do your wheels?

Seer

forum member
Reaction score
Nice. So overall, you are happy with it so far? any issues yet even though it has only been a month? Did you do your wheels?

you wont find issues with opti-coat 2.0 until about 2.5-3 years. It is not like a sealant where weather/rain etc will reduce its durability.

Coatings are not like sealants.

superslow86

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks. And in 2.5/3 years IF it starts to break down you can just polish it off and apply a new coat right? Is a sealant needed or recommended on top of the opti-coat or would that be considered over kill and a waste of sealant? Do you happen to know how this holds up on wheels as far as brake dust and what not or is it better to stick with a wheel sealant used regularly? Thanks!

Seer

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks. And in 2.5/3 years IF it starts to break down you can just polish it off and apply a new coat right? Is a sealant needed or recommended on top of the opti-coat or would that be considered over kill and a waste of sealant? Do you happen to know how this holds up on wheels as far as brake dust and what not or is it better to stick with a wheel sealant used regularly? Thanks!
Yes, you just polish it off and start over.

You can apply a sealant over top of it, as some nano coatings aren't as slick as some people would like. But I'd only do it for looks.

It holds up better on wheels than a traditional sealant does.

MLC40

S197 Team Member
Reaction score

Another cleaning after a track day, much easier than any other product I have used. I did coat the wheels and I am glad I did. I have a MasterBlaster so after a wash all I have to do is blast the car, wheels included, and the water blows off. I really think this coating reduces wash time as bugs, rubber and dirt wash off easy. I have another 6 weeks or so until I store the car buy so far I think this product is great.

Cammed 05

Always happy
Reaction score
I applied it to the rents GB 5.0 about a year ago to surprise my step dad as a welcome home off a tour. I went with m105<m205<po85rd then applied the OC.

Still working excellent a year later. Great product for sure. Doc G knows how to make some cool stuff!

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back