1 inch wheel spacers too much for stock rims?

Rapture

forum member
Reaction score
I can't afford proper offset wheels right now. Looking to pick up some adapters. Bolt on and hub-centric only. Do you think 1" is too much for the rears? I measured it to be over 1 inch and almost 2 inch in the front but if heard of inch being to much on stock rims. I have the premium luster nickel 19" on my 05. I'm probably one of the only ones with these on the older model s197. The only info I can find on the offset of these says there +50mm. Front may even need a bigger adapter. Take a look and please give opinions. Like I said I want new wheels when I can afford them. I want the AMR silver in 18" staggered setup from American muscle.

Edit: I changed "spacer" to "adapter"

ec33c6eb5d8b59428971bd69984d8237.jpg

e631363e174d10f8753f80dc1a64cd47.jpg

826d0492a72f2a8b1ba4b643d45bfc5a.jpg

Last edited:

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
I have 1" on the rear with my 18x8.5 Factory Bullitt wheels. It looks like a bit much to me, but I guess it grows on you after a while. No fit issues with 255/45R18 tires.

Rapture

forum member
Reaction score
I have 1" on the rear with my 18x8.5 Factory Bullitt wheels. It looks like a bit much to me, but I guess it grows on you after a while. No fit issues with 255/45R18 tires.

Do you happen to have a good pic of the rear? Does it come out past the fender?

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
The smallest u can get with the bolt on types is 20mm = aprx .8"
Watch out, they list the fronts and rears as separate items. IE: XXX mm, front only....and XXX mm, rear only". AM only sells the rears.

The ricer across the street from a friend, had 20mm HR hubcentric spacers on all 4 x corners..and he had a front wheel come right off. The 5 x embedded studs all snapped right clean off. My guess is that 20mm spacer's don't allow enough meat to support the embedded studs. The 3-15mm spacers are just flat plates..and from 5-15mm, use longer studs... which require open ended lugs.

I'd leave it alone for now, and just save up for some new wheels.

Rapture

forum member
Reaction score
The smallest u can get with the bolt on types is 20mm = aprx .8"
Watch out, they list the fronts and rears as separate items. IE: XXX mm, front only....and XXX mm, rear only". AM only sells the rears.

The ricer across the street from a friend, had 20mm HR hubcentric spacers on all 4 x corners..and he had a front wheel come right off. The 5 x embedded studs all snapped right clean off. My guess is that 20mm spacer's don't allow enough meat to support the embedded studs. The 3-15mm spacers are just flat plates..and from 5-15mm, use longer studs... which require open ended lugs.

I'd leave it alone for now, and just save up for some new wheels.

Not what I wanted to hear. If HR snap then I'm not touching ebays. Crossed off the list. Next. My search for eibach sportline rear springs.

Thenorm

Autocrosser
Reaction score
Not what I wanted to hear. If HR snap then I'm not touching ebays. Crossed off the list. Next. My search for eibach sportline rear springs.

definitely don't touch ebay.
I broke a set before i then had some custom made.
properly made adapters are fine. I've used them to race autocross on sticky Hoosiers with no issues

here is a good option for custom spacers at good price.
http://www.motorsport-tech.com/wheel_spacers.html

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
Unless you under or over torque the nuts, the H&R's will not fail.

I will get a photo of both sides of my car - I need to adjust my panhard a bit, the tires are close to flush, though.

frank s

at Play
Reaction score
5198917670_0e8fb687a9_o.jpg

Shows the H&R 25mm (one inch) spacers necessary for 18-inch "Fanblade" wheels to clear the GT500 front brakes. This is a rear wheel. Since the GT500 and GT rear brakes are identical except for pad material, they don't require spacers to clear, but the vehicle is better-balanced aesthetically and physically when they are present at both axles.

The original "Bullitt"-style wheels on Shelby GT Mustangs and GT/California Special Mustangs will fit ((with spacers), but only if the wheel-mounting (hub) studs are shortened by five millimeters; the Fanblades have pockets in the appropriate places, so no operation is required.

Showing what they look like on a car with "P" springs and 245-45 RE-01 Bridgestone tires (wear rating like 80?):

5002713960_202a75ef8e_o.jpg

5002713928_0200fae83e_o.jpg

5002714024_d650a7fb74_z.jpg

I did dozens of autocross runs with this setup. The spacer-to-hub nuts were blue-Loctited, and never showed any signs of loosening.

Rapture

forum member
Reaction score
5198917670_0e8fb687a9_o.jpg

Shows the H&R 25mm (one inch) spacers necessary for 18-inch "Fanblade" wheels to clear the GT500 front brakes. This is a rear wheel. Since the GT500 and GT rear brakes are identical except for pad material, they don't require spacers to clear, but the vehicle is better-balanced aesthetically and physically when they are present at both axles.

The original "Bullitt"-style wheels on Shelby GT Mustangs and GT/California Special Mustangs will fit ((with spacers), but only if the wheel-mounting (hub) studs are shortened by five millimeters; the Fanblades have pockets in the appropriate places, so no operation is required.

Showing what they look like on a car with "P" springs and 245-45 RE-01 Bridgestone tires (wear rating like 80?):

5002713960_202a75ef8e_o.jpg

5002713928_0200fae83e_o.jpg

5002714024_d650a7fb74_z.jpg

I did dozens of autocross runs with this setup. The spacer-to-hub nuts were blue-Loctited, and never showed any signs of loosening.

Looks perfect. Thanks for sharing. Do you think the blue loctite is needed? If so is it permanent?

Rapture

forum member
Reaction score
Looks perfect. Thanks for sharing. Do you think the blue loctite is needed? If so is it permanent?

So do think billet aluminum spacers that are hub centric for my vehicle from eBay would be as good as the HR. As long as there torqued to spec and loctite with the blue. 1 inch

And if not please elaborate on details why, I just want to gather some knowledge.

Last edited:

frank s

at Play
Reaction score
I don't know if the Loctite was needed for the application, but I intended the nuts should never come off, so it was required for my peace-of-mind. Loctite just requires a bit more effort in undoing the nuts—you have to apply force all the way off; they don't spin like clean fasteners.

I have no experience with the eBaY spacers, but passed them up for the relatively expensive H&R items, for my peace-of-mind.

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
If you didn't put blue thread locker on the oem studs.... you would never know if they loosen up over time.... you can't get at em ..after the fact.

Apparently, the purple thread locker is slightly weaker than the blue thread locker. I have never used it b4...and only found out about it a yr ago.

KonaBlueBryar

forum member
Reaction score
I autoXed and beat the crap out of my car for years on 1 inch ebay spacers. people can say whatever they want. i had the same wheels as you with 255/40/19 bridgestone potenzas. had them on for 2 years and they are fine. now my buddy has them and he has had them for a year and still no problems... i would put spacers on ASAP man!!!

the s197s all are the same chassis so the offsets were the same no matter the year. your gonna be flush with 25mm spacers. that was lowered on H&R super sports.

Rapture

forum member
Reaction score
I autoXed and beat the crap out of my car for years on 1 inch ebay spacers. people can say whatever they want. i had the same wheels as you with 255/40/19 bridgestone potenzas. had them on for 2 years and they are fine. now my buddy has them and he has had them for a year and still no problems... i would put spacers on ASAP man!!!

the s197s all are the same chassis so the offsets were the same no matter the year. your gonna be flush with 25mm spacers. that was lowered on H&R super sports.

Wow I really appreciate the post man. Car looks great. I was really wanting to see my rims with these spacers. I also have Bridgestone Potenzas as well. 245s though. Wish I had the 255s.

Since you have the same rims have a lot of questions.

Did you use loctite on the spacers?

Do you ever check the torque on the spacers?

I know it was a while ago but do you happen to remember the seller on eBay?

Did you use them on all four? Or just rears?

Do our rims have open slots (cavities) between mounting holes?

Do I need the ones with the lip? Or without?

Would these work?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/221704982237

Sorry for the question overload

Thank you

Last edited:

KonaBlueBryar

forum member
Reaction score
no problem man! and i will try to answer the questions in order.

i did not use locktite, but it definatly wouldnt be a bad thing if you did. when i ran 1.5 inch spacers on my jeep i did just because it came with them.

i torqued the spacers to 100ft/lbs and checked them on and off but they were always fine.

i dont remember the seller on ebay because i actually bought them used off guys on instagram.

I had 25mm , or one inch, spacers on all four wheels, these cars require the same amount of offset for front and back so it makes no difference.

yes they have open slots and the wheels worked perfectly with the spacers.

i would greatly advise the ones "with the lip" which in correct terms means hubcentric. they further assure that the wheel is centered on the hub and wont vibrate.

those look great!!! they have alot of good reviews!!! seems like its a legit company

Rapture

forum member
Reaction score
no problem man! and i will try to answer the questions in order.

i did not use locktite, but it definatly wouldnt be a bad thing if you did. when i ran 1.5 inch spacers on my jeep i did just because it came with them.

i torqued the spacers to 100ft/lbs and checked them on and off but they were always fine.

i dont remember the seller on ebay because i actually bought them used off guys on instagram.

I had 25mm , or one inch, spacers on all four wheels, these cars require the same amount of offset for front and back so it makes no difference.

yes they have open slots and the wheels worked perfectly with the spacers.

i would greatly advise the ones "with the lip" which in correct terms means hubcentric. they further assure that the wheel is centered on the hub and wont vibrate.

those look great!!! they have alot of good reviews!!! seems like its a legit company

Thanks for your help buddy. I thought those looked great and since I have lived in Fremont, California that makes it even better I guess. I'll post some pics when I get them installed. Hopefully it looks as good as yours, I'm lowered too, so we will see.

Have you ever thought about getting your rear rims custom widened? Is it even possible with these rims?

KonaBlueBryar

forum member
Reaction score
it is, in a perfect world i wanted to wide all of them by an inch and a half and have 19X10s on all four corners. im not a fan of staggered wheels lol. i love those wheels though

Rapture

forum member
Reaction score
it is, in a perfect world i wanted to wide all of them by an inch and a half and have 19X10s on all four corners. im not a fan of staggered wheels lol. i love those wheels though

Yeah I also really like the rims too. The only thing holding me back from being in love is the width. If I had the cash I would get the rims widened to 11 in the rear and put something ridiculous on there like 325 or something. Probably be the only one with that wide on those rims. Would look so good. I'm sure there would need to be some modification to the car but still

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back