10-12 GT Aero **Splitter Options**

Candy10

forum member
Reaction score
I have been contemplating aero parts(splitter/rear wing) for a long time now. Haven't decided on anything because I refuse to believe there are so few options hahaha. I've pretty much decided on the Steeda "functional" rear wing, as my car's not at the level to need a G-Stream.

So for splitters, we have the choice of the standard Boss piece, Laguna Seca, or World Challenge. Is that really it? Nobody else makes aero? Maybe my Google skills are lacking?

It is a daily driver, but see's alot of track time. The standard Boss splitter seems most practical and looks good, but will I even notice any additional downforce?

SoundGuyDave

This Space For Rent
Reaction score
Lots to think about before pulling the trigger on aero...

First, is your car dialed-in in terms of mechanical grip and handling balance? If it's not, aero isn't going to be the panacea you might think it is.

Second, what handling ills are you trying to fix/combat by adding aero to the car?

Third, are you really prepared to deal with an aero package on a DD car? A functional splitter sticks out quite a ways in front, and is a lot lower than the stock fascia. Say goodbye to steep driveway aprons, and watch out for speed bumps!

Fourth, are you prepared to change up the spring rates to account for all the extra downforce on a DD car? They don't magically soften when you're doing 35mph in town...

Be honest with yourself, particularly on points #3 and #4; it'll save you a lot of grief later.

Finally, when you start shopping aero pieces, look or ask for L/D plots. If the manufacturer can't provide anything, then I would bet that it's more of an "appearance" piece than one that is functional. This applies to the wing more than anything else. Most folks just roll their own splitters. See Terry Fair's 2011 Mustang build thread for the reasoning behind that call, as well as some excellent design and fabrication tips.

Candy10

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback Dave, nice to have someone who knows something give me advice.

After reading your post, Im getting ahead of myself it seems. Suspension is getting a complete overhaul soon. So maybe wait for that, dial it in, then add downforce. Got it.

As far as stiff ride and splitter clearances, its not a huge deal. It is my daily, but I put less than 4000 mile a year on it. Even less the last couple years.

All that said, let me back up. What options are out there besides what I listed (I would love to find someone to make me a splitter)?

As far as rear wings, what are some you would suggest I look into? G-stream is on all the Mustangs at the track, APR seems "cheap" to me. Then there's the little Steeda I mentioned.

I paid for the picture package, don't give me shit about the watermarks LOL.
Fontana Chicane by Kenneth Stephens, on Flickr

I should have stated in the first post, but I am just starting to learn how to adjust and balance the car. I just don't have enough track time available for alot of testing.

Last edited by a moderator:

SoundGuyDave

This Space For Rent
Reaction score
You absolutely want to get the mechanical grip and balance sorted before you start hanging aero on the car, that's for sure. Without that as a basis, any aero you hang on the car is going to create some seriously unpredictable behaviour.

First thing to keep in mind is that the mechanical grip portion of things is present with and without aero loading. If the car pushes on corner entry, you can correct it with aero by adding a ton of front downforce, and tune it beautifully for mid-speed corners. That exact same tuning, though, on a high-speed sweeper will wind up OVERsteering like crazy. That will give you a car that's very tight on slow corners (not enough speed for the aero to really add loading, so it's all mechanical grip), nicely balanced on mid-speed corners, and then loose as hell on the high-speed corners. Not exactly what anybody would really like to drive, eh?

Assuming you get your car sorted on a pure mechanical grip basis, then next thing would be to sit down and seriously think about what you want the aero to really do. Is the car just understeering a bit on the high-speed corners? Small splitter may do the trick, with nothing else. If it's tight in, but loose out (again on the high-speed stuff), then you'll be looking for some wing to balance the rear, and may want a larger splitter blade as well to cement the front end to the ground. This is where tunability comes in.

Ideally, you'll want the aero gear to mimic the mechanical grip characteristics and balance, so that the car behaves the same in slow, medium and high-speed corners, and in all phases of the corner, as well. Your tuning capability is going to depend on the design of your hardware, but suffice it to say that tuning a splitter trackside isn't the easiest thing. Exposed surface area is your gross tuning. A larger blade (as a rule of thumb) will give you more downforce, so if your tuning is biased towards too much front loading, the "tuning" is really limited to carving the splitter down in size. A good wing (G-stream, AJ Hartman, Brooks Motorsport, etc) will let you adjust the angle of attack (AOA) to balance the front/rear aero very easily, and will make tuning the splitter a lot easier than doing so with a fixed wing. Essentially, it's dial-a-grip with a pair of turnbuckles. FWIW, G-Stream does have a splitter setup for the S197, but it isn't cheap...

Before you say "just give me the x-tra large blade, please!" you have to remember that the blade size is going to drive the rate at which grip comes in, as well as the absolute amount of grip it'll generate. It also adds dramatically to the overall drag coefficient. You want JUST enough blade to do the trick, and no more.

Think slow-, medium- and high-speed corners. Slow corners are going to be in an airflow speed range where neither the splitter nor wing are really going to be contributing anything. Pure mechanical grip. Medium-speed corners, say between 60-85mph apex speeds, will have some aero effect, but you're not going to get hundreds of pounds of downforce without serious drag. If the blade is too large, it's already developing a large amount of downforce at these speeds, but the wing may not be in it's zone of efficiency, so you have an aero imbalance. High-speed corners are where the aero really shines. 90+mph apex speeds, and the downforce is adding a LOT of grip. The wing is really working at this point, and hopefully the splitter is working equally well. Again, if it's too large, you'll have a ton of AOA dialled into the wing, which will create a bunch of drag, and you may find yourself going slower overall than you were without aero... Not what you're trying to accomplish, I'm sure!

I would start with either a splitter from a reputable company, like G-Stream, or roll your own out of plywood, and pair it with a good, adjustable wing, up and out of the dirty air rolling off the greenhouse. If you roll your own, start with one that's just wayyy too big, and keep a sabre saw with you on your testing days. Keep carving it down, and keep backing off the wing until the balance mimics the mechanical tendencies of the car. Once you have the blade at "just right," you can play around with spats, fences and cunards to help fine-tune the center-of-pressure so that the car rotates the same in and out of aero effect. At that point, all your adjustments come down to a degree or two of AOA on the rear wing to fine-tune the balance at each track. If you use a pre-built splitter, you can skip everything but the wing tuning and drag reduction stuff.

Personally, I'd vote for the roll-your-own. As you tune it, you'll learn a whole lot more about the car and aero in general than you would just bolting on a part. Plan on spending one or two complete track days just doing tuning, AFTER you have the mechanical balance stuff down. Resist the urge to "play," and focus on copious, clean note taking, along with whatever data you can log on-track. Pay attention to how the setup under test behaves under braking, trail-braking, maintenance throttle (apex) and at corner exit. Splitters are somewhat sensitive to ride-height, and you may wind up wanting to increase your spring rate to compensate for the increased downforce as part of the tuning process. If you run 200lb rear springs, and your wing is generating 200lbs of downforce, your rear suspension will compress a full half-inch more than normal as a result.

You'll get more benefit from the aero the faster you're going. But, the faster you're going, the more drag the aero creates, and the more horsepower you need to puch a hole through the air at any given speed. A basic splitter and wing is fairly simple to add and effective, but the less you run (blade size, wing AOA) the better off you are. Focus on tuning the aero on the high-speed corners to mimic the mechanical grip of the low speed corners, and you'll be in the ballpark.

The bottom line is that aero is not something you want to rush into. Make sure the basics (spring rate, damping curves, tire pressures, alignment angles, bar rates, etc.) are right, and also that you have a problem that needs correction. If the car feels just fine in both a tight right-hander at 45mph, and a big, left-hand sweeper at 105mph, then leave well enough alone, and don't take the drag penalty on your top speed. If, on the other hand, if the car feels great on the tight corner, but just doesn't want to turn-in on that sweeper, or the rear end tries to swap ends on a high-speed exit, then you might find some benefit from the aero bits.

Candy10

forum member
Reaction score
HOLY SHIT!!!!!

Thanks for taking the time to write that up. The last couple track days, I did exactly what you said not to do, "play". Just can't help myself when I have the chance to show up a Porsche or GTR LOL. Next time out, pay more attention to the car, and take real notes on how it reacts to changes.

One last question (sorry), I currently have 275s up front and 305s in the rear. Should I first change to a square setup? Same size all around?

SoundGuyDave

This Space For Rent
Reaction score
And the answer is: it depends. Tire width is absolutely a tuning tool. That said, I've been running a square setup for years, and find it pretty easy to balance out the handling characteristics that way. If you're experiencing understeer, I would go to a square setup in a heartbeat. 305s all the way around would be awesome, but 275s are pretty standard fare for an S197 on track.

You can google a suspension tuning quick-reference, and I would print it out and take it to the track with you. When doing suspension tuning, you need to FOCUS on that to the exclusion of all other things, or else you're just wasting time.

Break the track down into low-, medium- and high-speed corners, ignore the "oddball" stuff that might be unique to that particular track, and then really pay attention to how the car acts under braking, at turn-in, at apex, and at corner exit. Focus on driving smoothly, but as close to the limit as you can while consistently hitting your marks, and take serious notes on every session, every lap if possible. Pay particular attention to how the car sets (too abrupt, quick but firm, numb and takes forever!) and how early and hard you can apply throttle.

Establish a goal for each session (working on understeer or getting better turn-in), and make only ONE adjustment at a time. Write down what you adjusted, how much, and what the results were, good or bad! In a day or two of this type of testing, you should be able to get some pretty good data on how the car reacts to various changes that you can make.

If you're establishing a baseline suspension tuning, I would start by going with square tires, max negative camber up front, 1/16"-1/8" toe OUT, front bar full stiff, rear bar full soft, dampers at the "middle" of the adjustment range(s), and your normal tire pressures. Bonus points if you can borrow a tire pyrometer and get somebody to take temps in the hot pits. Do NOT wait for the checker, dive in one lap or two short of full session, get the temps on the tires, then drive around the paddock for your cool-down. Use the temp data to find your happy place in terms of camber and pressures.

Bring whatever tools you need to adjust the bars, tire pressure, toe, and damper settings. Those will be your primary tuning tools. Once you have the pressures and camber set right, then go to the suspension tuning cheat sheet, and start experimenting. Pick the largest handling ill, and work that first. Adjust one thing, see how it does, then either put that back and try something different, or adjust the same thing more, until you're happy with that particular phase of the corner. Then identify the next thing that pisses you off, and lather, rinse, repeat. HINT: Often, you will find the solution at the opposite end of the car that seems to be having a problem. Example: Car understeers mid-corner, which is too little front grip. Or is it too much rear grip? Try adding more rear bar to help the car rotate. ;-)

Candy10

forum member
Reaction score
Im indebted to you, Dave. Thank you.

Just got more USEFUL info in your few posts than I've gotten from anywhere/anyone else.

Pardon my vernacular, but I'm fucking excited LOL.

Tri-bar

Reaction score
I run the Grand Am/Steeda 2005-2009 rear wing on my car. And if any front splitter. 2010-11 Grand Am style. I do have a Boss 302 WC splitter and a custom 2 inch splitter in the works, as well as the stock boss street splitter that I just leave off. With that said, I have the Tiger Racing hood which helps with front end lift. But a little to no front splitter with the Grand Am/Steeda wing has a very good balance front to rear in 80 mph turns, very stable at 100+ too.

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
Impact Pressure in lbs per square foot... goes up to the square of the velocity.
EG:

50.0 mph = 'X'
70.7 mph = 2X
86.6 = 3X
100 = 4X
111.8 = 5X
122.5 = 6X
132.3 = 7X
141.4 = 8X
150 = 9X

As you can see, you would have to set the wing size /angle to do exactly what you want....at a given speed. Then it's a juggling act between adjustable rear wing + non adjustable front splitter. Then the entire mess (down force) drops like a rock, as speed is reduced. Then factor in the drag. Of course the idea is to produce max downforce with the least amount of drag, and that will depend on wing surface area + shape and angle. Set the wing /splitter for optimum handling on a 90 mph sweeper.... and you will most likely have too much drag at 140 mph in the straights.........so it's a series of tradeoff's. And you can't just dump several hundred lbs of downforce on the oem trunk lid, it would have to be re-enforced inside.

Last edited:

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score
One last question (sorry), I currently have 275s up front and 305s in the rear. Should I first change to a square setup? Same size all around?
That's where I'd suggest starting, particularly with a presumably stock-ish 4.6L NA engine. Bring the potential grip at the heavy end of the car up to match what's available at the rear before you start making roll stiffness trade-offs to fine tune midcorner balance. If nothing else, you'll have more options if you aren't stuck having to set one of the sta-bars full firm just to get in the ballpark.

You should be able to fit 285/35-18's on 18x11 wheels up front - see sig pic - without too much effort or additional expense, and some people have managed to fit even more tire than that. You might need (at most) an eighth-inch spacer and then the FRPP hubs for their longer and stronger ARP studs (that should probably be on your list anyway; having OE studs with lots of torque cycles on them fail during a session can ruin your day).

Norm

Last edited:

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Dave, you need to stop giving me bad ideas.

As for the tire size, at some level it depends on how you want the car to feel based on your driving style. I run a square setup, but Terry Fair over at Vorshlag runs wider rubbers on the rear.

SoundGuyDave

This Space For Rent
Reaction score
Dave, you need to stop giving me bad ideas.

As for the tire size, at some level it depends on how you want the car to feel based on your driving style. I run a square setup, but Terry Fair over at Vorshlag runs wider rubbers on the rear.

Well, I do enjoy being the instigator!! And I agree with you on a theoretical level. Tire width (and rim width) are both tuning mechanisms, unless you have rules constraints to deal with. Like Terry, I'm a big fan of large, sticky meat on wide rims. But, unlike Terry, I'm not in a position where I can afford to have a non-rotatable setup. No shop minions, no mount and balance equipment, etc. That said, I've been pretty happy with a square setup, and don't really feel the need to go larger in the rear as I can get the balance that I want without it.

As for the OP, I did notice the Kenne Bell bit in the sig line, so I'm going to assume he has the great big heat generator, er, I mean supercharger on his car. One might argue that it would call for more rear tire to handle the power, but you could also argue that you'd need more front tire to handle the additional weight up front. Proper race cars tend to run larger rear widths, but they also almost universally have rear weight bias to go along with the higher power:weight ratio than most of us have.

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
If you've got a supercharger, I'd run GT500 springs and dampers to account for the added weight.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 4 using Tapatalk

Candy10

forum member
Reaction score
The car is far from stock. Koni adjustables, Steeda bars and arms, frpp springs. 475whp.
Radiator and intercooler upgrades, RAM tein disc and aluminum flywheel, one-piece DSS aluminum shaft.

Saving for something awesome, maybe from Griggs. I need to learn ALOT. Obviously LOL. Appreciate any and all input. Glad I came back here.

zquez

Death Dealer
Reaction score
If you've got a supercharger, I'd run GT500 springs and dampers to account for the added weight.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 4 using Tapatalk

I've got the DOB supercharger kit, a big custom heat exchanger, and a gallon and a half of coolant to boot. I was running 450# front springs on my AST 4150's and even then I was dragging the side skirt on the deck in sweepers. The roll was manageable, but it made driving the car in quick transitions difficult. When I moved to 800# springs up front the car all of a sudden cornered flat and was composed during transitions. Unfortunately, GT500 springs and dampers will do nothing to help a proper track car deal with the extra weight of a blower. Besides good tires, the two biggest things that have helped my handling are stiff springs and more camber. Now I'm fine tuning with shock adjustments and sway bars.

Candy10

forum member
Reaction score
I've got the DOB supercharger kit, a big custom heat exchanger, and a gallon and a half of coolant to boot. I was running 450# front springs on my AST 4150's and even then I was dragging the side skirt on the deck in sweepers. The roll was manageable, but it made driving the car in quick transitions difficult. When I moved to 800# springs up front the car all of a sudden cornered flat and was composed during transitions. Unfortunately, GT500 springs and dampers will do nothing to help a proper track car deal with the extra weight of a blower. Besides good tires, the two biggest things that have helped my handling are stiff springs and more camber. Now I'm fine tuning with shock adjustments and sway bars.

Curious of more details on your motor. My hp/tq numbers are opposite of yours. I'd kill for more torque, but this stock block is stressed as is LOL.

zquez

Death Dealer
Reaction score
Curious of more details on your motor. My hp/tq numbers are opposite of yours. I'd kill for more torque, but this stock block is stressed as is LOL.

Honestly I have no idea why the torque numbers were like that and could have just been the dyno. Bone stock everything except for the blower. More power would be great, but then that just means I need more cooling, and more tire, and more brakes. haha I'm struggling just to make sure I keep making the numbers I've got consistently throughout a 20 minute session. If I had the cash I'd drop a coyote with bolt ons in the car. Same power, all N/A, no horrendous heat.

Back