11' traction control sensativity issue

C.Love

forum member
Reaction score
There is on, sport mode(press once) and off (press for 7seconds and hold brake pedal). In on and sport mode in mild corners the traction control kicks on very easily. This just started to occur and hasnt ever done this in the year Ive owned the car. Its very annoying especially when driving around town, yes it happens in around town corners. If I turn it off all the way no issues occur. No lights are present

Anyone know how to adjust/reset the ninny? Or have insight as to what can be wrong?

C.Love

forum member
Reaction score
That's why the first thing I do is turn it completely off every time.

Something is wrong or off just dont know what. Sensors are in place, lights arent blinking, all the way off works.

The only thing I can think of is the steerig rack and traction system talk to one another and they are pissed my steering knuckles have been modified a touch.

Last edited by a moderator:

Wingspan

forum member
Reaction score
There is on, sport mode(press once) and off (press for 7seconds and hold brake pedal). In on and sport mode in mild corners the traction control kicks on very easily.

Just to clarify, there are 4 settings:

1. On
2. Press button once: stability control still on, traction control off
3. Foot on brake, double click button: Sport mode
4. Foot on brake, hold button for 7 seconds: everything off

From your description it sounds to me like you are not in Sport mode when you think you are (as you only mention pressing the button once to enter). My apologies in advance if I've misunderstood what you've posted.

C.Love

forum member
Reaction score
Just to clarify, there are 4 settings:

1. On
2. Press button once: stability control still on, traction control off
3. Foot on brake, double click button: Sport mode
4. Foot on brake, hold button for 7 seconds: everything off

From your description it sounds to me like you are not in Sport mode when you think you are (as you only mention pressing the button once to enter). My apologies in advance if I've misunderstood what you've posted.

No man you're on point. To be honest I thought only 12+ had sport mode when I made the post didn't realize the 11's do too. Sport mode is good to go no problems and everything off no problems. with it in the "on" mode and stability control still on, traction control off modes its very sensitive. i don't recall it ever being that sensitive. Perhaps I am the broken one lol.

As I mentioned this occurred after I changed the knuckles. It maybe that I just notice this because the car turns alot faster now. IDK

C.Love

forum member
Reaction score
they have been modified for more steering angle. That isn't the issue, although for a time I thought I would see that issue happen but so far it hasn't. I was gearing up to get a 302s rack.

Its possiable that the rack is seeing the extra angle (how idk as the rack itself wasnt modified and the only other sensor around is the ABS) and getting upset on tight low speed corners.

i guess my option is to always have it in sport mode or ignore it

ddd4114

forum member
Reaction score
I'm assuming you pulled the tie rod mounting point closer to the hub to get more steering angle? I wonder if there is some sort of expected yaw rate vs. steering wheel angle and vehicle speed in the ESC calibration. With a modified location like that, you would probably change that relationship pretty significantly.

Also, I don't have all of the measurements for the S197 steering layout, but a change like that will probably decrease Ackermann percentage. However, I don't see how that would have much effect on ESC.

C.Love

forum member
Reaction score
I'm assuming you pulled the tie rod mounting point closer to the hub to get more steering angle? I wonder if there is some sort of expected yaw rate vs. steering wheel angle and vehicle speed in the ESC calibration. With a modified location like that, you would probably change that relationship pretty significantly.

Also, I don't have all of the measurements for the S197 steering layout, but a change like that will probably decrease Ackermann percentage. However, I don't see how that would have much effect on ESC.

Yup pretty much all of this. Also I didnt modify the knuckles myself. There is a company/fabricator that does this and has does this for many Older s197 chassis. So he did it. The caveat is I am probably the only person thus far that has done this on a stock rack in a 11+. The other few people in the world (I can think of 5) that have done this have manual racks or they wont say what they have done as all of those cars are competion drift cars. In short Im alone in this whole venture.

The steering ratio also becomes quicker. I am guessing all of this is sensed and traction/stability freak out and the niinies come in. At this juncture the only resolution is to figure out how to disable this completely (boss 302s parts maybe?) or simply turn it to full off or sport mode. Since this car is still 99.999% street car I will turn it off. Im sure someday I will want it fully disabled

Last edited:

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back