127500 cam swap?

Mike K

WANNA BE FAST
Reaction score
So I have some 12500 cams I will be putting in, in the spring and I am wanting to know if it's possible to replace the springs and valve seal with the heads still on the engine? If so what tools would I need to be able to do the job?

I'm just trying to delay down time and messing with the front timing components.

Mike

Mike K

WANNA BE FAST
Reaction score
So it is possible then, that is great news. Have you guys done it? Is it possible to change valve seals while I'm in there?

Mike K

WANNA BE FAST
Reaction score
I'm going to go with lockouts. I just feel its one less thing to go wrong as the car will remain my DD.

05stroker

Never enough power guy!
Reaction score
I have never done it but it can be done. You will need the spring comp tool , wedge, and the fitting to presurize the cylinder through the spark plug hole.

I thought there was someone here who did a write up on it.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
Once the spring is off you will have access to the seal. Just be sure to have the piston at tdc and pressurized.

I've done it with the heads on and off. Make sure you stick some lint free cloths in the oil drainbacks and keep a few magnets handy.
I documented doing it with the heads on a few years ago. It was under chit chat and will turn up in a search.
The Freedom racing tool works better than the Rotunda.

weather man

Persistance Is A Bitch
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Get some back pain patches for your back Mike. My understanding is that it is pretty tough on the back to do it that way.

Mike K

WANNA BE FAST
Reaction score
Looks like I need to get some tools and finish ordering parts.

Thanks Brian. Lol. I'm probably going to do them at my brothers place so if I don't get it done in a weekend its no big deal. I would have them done by now but I only have a single car garage now :(

So for parts besides springs what else do I need? Can I reuse the stock clips and retainers?

AnotherS197GT

Serial Valve Dropper
Reaction score
You need new spring retainers for the upgraded springs. What springs do you have?

Keepers are reusable.

Mike K

WANNA BE FAST
Reaction score
I haven't bought the springs yet. I'm undecided on those but I will most likely get the comp springs and retainers.

AnotherS197GT

Serial Valve Dropper
Reaction score
I haven't bought the springs yet. I'm undecided on those but I will most likely get the comp springs and retainers.

Don't. I read somewhere that the comp springs are actually 2V springs or something like that, and they don't properly seat in the 3V heads causing problems. And if you do stick with comp DO NOT get the 26125-24. I had them and they broke. Get 26113-24.

I'm trying to find the thread but I can't!

Last edited:

Mike K

WANNA BE FAST
Reaction score
Thats why I'm doing some research before I buy. Gray ghost had mentioned that in his thread. I'm going to look up what he will be running.

05stroker

Never enough power guy!
Reaction score
Don't. I read somewhere that the comp springs are actually 2V springs or something like that, and they don't properly seat in the 3V heads causing problems. And if you do stick with comp DO NOT get the 26125-24. I had them and they broke. Get 26113-24.

I'm trying to find the thread but I can't!

What cams are you running?

AnotherS197GT

Serial Valve Dropper
Reaction score
What cams are you running?

Stock now. I had 127500s.

b2ce453b.jpg

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back