'14 GT Automatic - drag racing results from a few simple mods

Five Oh Brian

Mustang Guru
Reaction score
My car is down for a week or so. Had to order a new ring & pinion and am waiting for it to show up. Rear end is torn apart at the shop currently. When the new ring & pinion go in, my 1-pc d/s will go back in, as well (the factory 2-pc has been in for the last couple months). VERY frustrating waiting for the car to be reassembled. Driving a less-than-spectacular loaner car currently.

fiveoh

forum member
Reaction score
My car is down for a week or so. Had to order a new ring & pinion and am waiting for it to show up. Rear end is torn apart at the shop currently. When the new ring & pinion go in, my 1-pc d/s will go back in, as well (the factory 2-pc has been in for the last couple months). VERY frustrating waiting for the car to be reassembled. Driving a less-than-spectacular loaner car currently.

Your ring & pinion broke?

FIVE-OH

forum member
Reaction score
I don't think you will gain much if anything by a long cool down. I let my car sit a few times, doesn't really effect my ET's more then a hundredth or so at most. My best ET is actually my first pass after a 90 min drive LOL.

Five Oh Brian

Mustang Guru
Reaction score
Your ring & pinion broke?

Short story: Bad install originally.

Long story: Tech that installed my 4.10's didn't get one of the bearings seated properly before making measurements. Pattern was good, but as soon as the car hit the street, the bearing popped all the way into place leaving the measurements out of whack. Had a vibration that the tech blamed on my 1-pc d/s, so I sent it back to Shaftmasters to have them balance it. They called to say it spun 100% balanced, no issues, and they shipped it back to me. They guessed it was a pinion bearing issue, and it sounds like they were right. The bad install tore up the ring & pinion, so the rear is getting rebuilt and new 4.10's are on the way. This tech is really good typically - this is the 5th gear swap he's done for me - but he messed up this time. The shop is covering the cost of repair.

Riptide

Will work for Mustang.
Reaction score
My trap didnt change much with cool down either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatwat

Riptide

Will work for Mustang.
Reaction score
Now I'm questioning whether that money was wisely spent or not.
I am also wondering the same thing. I don't think the driveshaft gets you much if anything at all. It's more of a safety thing to hold more power than it is a performance modification. TBH. I wish I had saved the $800. Same thing goes for the uca/lca I got because I didn't need that right now either.

On the bright side down the road with a supercharger those items may be more helpful than they are now. But it would be nice to have $1500 back in my pocket.

Oh and I noticed this today. Here is some more evidence, seems pretty solid, that the 4.10 gears definitely don't hurt your performance and in fact there may be a small but measurable benefit.

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/foru...2-2011-2014-mustang-gt-automatic-w-4-10s.html

Five Oh Brian

Mustang Guru
Reaction score
Fresh gears (still 4.10's like before) and my 1-pc d/s are going back in my car tomorrow. It'll be later this month before I can get to the track to see how the car runs. Should be the best air we've had all year coming up. My best ET this season has been an 11.78 with an 11.80 to back it up and a whole bunch of 11.8's and 11.9's, as well. With the better air, I'm looking for something in the 11.6's with the current set up.

Five Oh Brian

Mustang Guru
Reaction score
I am also wondering the same thing. I don't think the driveshaft gets you much if anything at all. It's more of a safety thing to hold more power than it is a performance modification. TBH. I wish I had saved the $800. Same thing goes for the uca/lca I got because I didn't need that right now either.

On the bright side down the road with a supercharger those items may be more helpful than they are now. But it would be nice to have $1500 back in my pocket.

Oh and I noticed this today. Here is some more evidence, seems pretty solid, that the 4.10 gears definitely don't hurt your performance and in fact there may be a small but measurable benefit.

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/foru...2-2011-2014-mustang-gt-automatic-w-4-10s.html

I believe you're right that the 1-pc d/s is more of a safety mod than a performance mod. You're also right that UCA's and LCA's aren't needed with a 6R80 car (unless you've lowered the car). A lot of people buy a lot of aftermarket stuff that does nothing for their ET's, but sometimes it looks/sound great so it's not always about ET's.

The jury is still out on which gears are "best" for Coyote 6R80's, but my minimally modded '14 GT with 4.10's is currently #12 on the 4V All Motor 1/4 mile list here in these forums (6th quickest 6R80 on the list) and it's the quickest all motor Coyote 6R80 at our two local dragstrips, so my car is doing very well for having done so little to it.

Five Oh Brian

Mustang Guru
Reaction score
1-pc driveshaft is back in, as well as a fresh set of 4.10 gears. Car is vibration free finally and ready to hit the strip next Friday. Cooler weather is coming, so I'm looking for an 11.7 or better this time around.

Sent from SYNC in my '14 Mustang GT...

JLear

2014 GT
Reaction score
Good luck sir! I took mine to the track with stock power on 28" et streets and got a 12.9 @ 109.7, I'm going to add exhaust and tune along with some 26's and see what it does.

5.0 Probie

forum member
Reaction score
1-pc driveshaft is back in, as well as a fresh set of 4.10 gears. Car is vibration free finally and ready to hit the strip next Friday. Cooler weather is coming, so I'm looking for an 11.7 or better this time around.

Ahhhhhhhhhh. That vibration free feel on these cars is heaven! Glad your back to it.

I am a few parts away from joining you Brian. I need to get LCA'a and brackets first. This new suspension allows the car to hook up nicely, at least until it will not and then I light up the tires like I am on a wet road and no air in the tires :asshat:

We did get the new wing painted and installed this week. Looks fantastic. Next month we will get the head unit so we can use the new camera =]

auto02

HUGE member!
Reaction score

What kind of D/A are you running in up there in the north west?

Five Oh Brian

Mustang Guru
Reaction score
What kind of D/A are you running in up there in the north west?

Our dragstrips near Seattle are 150-250 feet above sea level. DA's in the spring are usually sea level to 800'. DA's in the middle of summer often rise to 2000-2500'. Fall is my favorite time as DA's go slightly below sea level, but our local tracks are usually closed for the season by late Sept - early Oct.

Five Oh Brian

Mustang Guru
Reaction score
Ahhhhhhhhhh. That vibration free feel on these cars is heaven! Glad your back to it.

I am a few parts away from joining you Brian. I need to get LCA'a and brackets first. This new suspension allows the car to hook up nicely, at least until it will not and then I light up the tires like I am on a wet road and no air in the tires :asshat:

We did get the new wing painted and installed this week. Looks fantastic. Next month we will get the head unit so we can use the new camera =]

We just can't leave well enough alone on our cars! So glad my wife tolerates my hobby....

Five Oh Brian

Mustang Guru
Reaction score
Finally got back to racing today after being rained out last week. 1-piece d/s is back in again, and the car ran as expected (improved just a couple hundredths vs the 2-piece d/s in very much the same density altitude).

Ran an 11.76, a pair of 11.78's, a pair of 11.79's and a variety of low 11.8's. Trap speeds were mostly in the 114-115 mph range (we were racing into a headwind and everyone I spoke with was off a few mph tonight. I did manage a 117+ trap speed on one of my 11.78 runs, though.

All in all, my car ran strong. Today was the last day I can run at either of our local tracks this year, so it's time for the off season modding to begin!

Last edited:

FIVE-OH

forum member
Reaction score
Finally got back to racing today after being rained out last week. 1-piece d/s is back in again, and the car ran as expected (improved just a couple hundredths vs the 2-piece d/s in very much the same density altitude).

Ran an 11.76, a pair of 11.78's, an 11.79's and a variety of 11.8's. Trap speeds were mostly in the 114-115 mph range (we were racing into a headwind and everyone I spoke with was off a few mph tonight. I did manage a 117+ trap speed on one of my 11.78 runs, though.

All in all, my car ran strong. Today was the last day I can run at either of our local tracks this year, so it's time for the off season modding to begin!

Do those 1 piece driveshafts induse any vibrations or harmonics at all compared to the stock 2 piece?

Funny how your seasons done, while mine will be just starting...we are open all year, but it's too hot during the summer to sit in staging lanes with your a/c off.

Five Oh Brian

Mustang Guru
Reaction score
Do those 1 piece driveshafts induse any vibrations or harmonics at all compared to the stock 2 piece?

Funny how your seasons done, while mine will be just starting...we are open all year, but it's too hot during the summer to sit in staging lanes with your a/c off.

No vibrations with the 1-pc d/s in my car (Shaftmasters).

I wish our racing season was longer like yours. It was 75 and sunny yesterday & today. We used to run longer into autumn when the density altitude would get below sea level. Last night it was 700' to 800' above sea level. My 11.7's could have been 11.6's in better air!

Five Oh Brian

Mustang Guru
Reaction score
I originally posted this thread with average #'s for each change to my '14 GT, but thought it might be interesting to list best ET's here. Car is 100% factory stock, except mods as noted below...

First mods: SCT Tuner with canned 91 octane tune and M&H Drag Radials (28" tall). DA 1000-1700' above sea level...

1.943 = 60'
5.367 = 330'
8.156 @ 88.03 = 1/8 mile
10.565 = 1000'
12.601 @ 111.15 = 1/4 mile

Next round of mods added: Bama race tune, 5,000 rpm Circle-D 4E stall converter, and 1-piece aluminum driveshaft from Shaftmasters. DA 100-400' below sea level (same level of mods on a day with DA in the 300-900 above sea level was about 2 tenths and 1.5 mph slower, by the way)...

1.655 = 60'
4.912 = 330'
7.664 @ 89.07 = 1/8 mile
10.040 = 1000'
12.036 @ 113.13 = 1/4 mile

Next round of mods added: 4.10 gears & Mike Rousch tuning. I also ran the Bama race tune back to back with Mike's tune and found virtually no difference in ET's between the two tunes, but Mike's tune is so much better for drivability that he is the go-to-guy for tuning 6R80's!!! DA in the -100 to +100 range.

1.622 = 60'
4.830 = 330'
7.515 @ 90.34 = 1/8 mile
9.836 = 1000'
11.802 @ 114.82 = 1/4 mile

Next round of mods added: Pypes O/R H-pipe with revised tuning by Mike Rousch. DA was 200-900' above sea level, so worse air, but marginally better ET's anyway.

1.627 = 60'
4.794 = 330'
7.480 @ 91.21 = 1/8 mile
9.807 = 1000'
11.786 @ 114.02 = 1/4 mile

Next changes: Had to put the factory 2-pc driveshaft back in temporarily, but also added GT500 axlebacks. DA 850-1000', so the air was a bit worse, yet the ET didn't really change much & the trap speed really woke up several mph! Who would have thought the factory mufflers were so restrictive on the tall end of the track!

1.638 = 60'
4.835 = 330'
7.529 @ 91.13 = 1/8 mile
9.849 = 1000'
11.804 @ 117.70 = 1/4 mile

Next round of mods: Was able to get the 1-pc driveshaft back in the car, but zero changes otherwise. DA very similar in the 700-800' range.

1.627 = 60'
4.811 = 330'
7.498 @ 91.57 = 1/8 mile
9.811 = 1000'
11.761 @ 117.03 = 1/4 mile

Now our local tracks are closed for the season, so I have 5 months to add some key mods before we start up again next season. I'm probably leaning toward long tube headers. Also considering a big & little drag wheel set up to lose some weight on track days. The goal is to hit 11.50 next season. So, until then....

Last edited:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back