15x11 rears?

DTL

forum member
Reaction score
If he doesn't "need" a 10" (or wider) wheel, then why does he "need" a 275 tire? If it makes so little power and an 8" wheel is so much more desirable, then why not run a 235 Mickey or a 26x8.5? Why are some people so opposed to doing things the right way? Just because something "can" be done, doesn't mean it's correct. There are a number of people in this thread, who go pretty quick. (Like chassis certs and licenses quick) and they're counseling a certain course of action. Maybe that should be a clue.

Speedboosted

Found missing cylinders
Reaction score
If he doesn't "need" a 10" (or wider) wheel, then why does he "need" a 275 tire? If it makes so little power and an 8" wheel is so much more desirable, then why not run a 235 Mickey or a 26x8.5? Why are some people so opposed to doing things the right way? Just because something "can" be done, doesn't mean it's correct. There are a number of people in this thread, who go pretty quick. (Like chassis certs and licenses quick) and they're counseling a certain course of action. Maybe that should be a clue.

He doesn't need a 275, I've never said he does. I'm not disagreeing at all with you about the right way to do thing, but the people you are talking about are driving cars that are completely different from the car that OP has. I'm not sitting here telling you that your Outlaw cars need a wider/smaller tire or whatever, I'm saying that HIS car doesn't need a 15x10 because it's a stock 3v. Skinny DR's would be just fine on it. I didn't know they even had a 235 DR in an appropriate S197 height, so I would suggest that to him, especially since he has an auto (I think).

Maybe it's just me (and that's fine) but I wouldn't spend money trying to put the same tires/suspension on my 13 second car as someone does on their 7 or 8 second car. That would be a waste of money for him since he wouldn't "use" the parts. Everyone has a budget and has to draw the line somewhere, why not look at other cars around his power level and see what they're doing?

What do you have to do with an Outlaw team by the way? Are you a driver or pit crew or what? Serious question.

STOCK GT

forum member
Reaction score
Just a FYI. It's no long a 13 second car. 3V has been yanked and it's replacent is on the way! The car has a strange 9" with a 3:89 gear along with the sway bar brackets already cut down and a full BMR suspension front and rear, and a DSS driveshaft. While I'm waiting for the motor to arrive I'm was thinking about about what drag setup I want. I love the look of a 275/60 stretched on a 15x12 and I figure that huge rim wouldn't fit on a stock length axle so I was thinking the 15x11 like I had metioned. I would never put a 15x8 on the car because that's not the way how I do things. I like to do it once, do my research, and hope to not have to change it down the road. I know a 15x10 will work great. But I just wanna be alittle different and have that tiny tiny stretch.

STOCK GT

forum member
Reaction score
My rear is narrowed 2.5" on each side but that was because I wanted a deep dish look so you don't need to narrow to fit 11" or even 12" but watch your back spacing.

I have my wheels drilled for wheel studs but that was for slicks. I don't run studs for radials.
And yes the wide rim does help a bunch with contact patch. You will even see wear on tire and they are even.

I'm guessing the modifications done to fit the 15x11 were also the same?Narrowing the each side 2.5"

I was thinking the 15x11 with a 8.5 bs would work just like a 15x10 with a 7.5 bs.

King Dingaling

Reaction score
I'm guessing the modifications done to fit the 15x11 were also the same?Narrowing the each side 2.5"

I was thinking the 15x11 with a 8.5 bs would work just like a 15x10 with a 7.5 bs.

Correct, if you are adding an inch in width it should work, just make sure the barrel of the rim will clear the brakes.

DTL

forum member
Reaction score
What do you have to do with an Outlaw team by the way? Are you a driver or pit crew or what? Serious question.

This last year, I crewed for an O8.5 car and a x275 car. My x275 car is in chassis-shop jail getting the cage updated to 25.3 after I outran the 25.5.

Speedboosted

Found missing cylinders
Reaction score
This last year, I crewed for an O8.5 car and a x275 car. My x275 car is in chassis-shop jail getting the cage updated to 25.3 after I outran the 25.5.

Cool, sounds like fun. And I see that OP now comes in with relevant information that would've been good in the beginning, so I'll say that now he needs a 275 and whatever size wheel you think he should have

DTL

forum member
Reaction score
I can see the benefits, (from a fitment point of view) to the 8" wheel. I know a lot of people don't like to cut on their cars and that's completely understandable. There's nothing "wrong" with a narrower wheel, but there will be some mild benefits to the wider size. All other things being equal, I would encourage anyone to run the wider wheel size, but it's not the end of the world if you don't.

STOCK GT

forum member
Reaction score
I can see the benefits, (from a fitment point of view) to the 8" wheel. I know a lot of people don't like to cut on their cars and that's completely understandable. There's nothing "wrong" with a narrower wheel, but there will be some mild benefits to the wider size. All other things being equal, I would encourage anyone to run the wider wheel size, but it's not the end of the world if you don't.

Agreed! So I think I'm going to call weld tomorrow and see what they can do!

Appreciate all the input, anyone else with pictures, I'd love to see them!

rcm90

forum member
Reaction score
I would think the shocks could be an issue as well

The rim would contact the shock shaft about the same time it would hit the inner wheel well. Shocks are only an issue with a double beadlock.

FWIW, im going to hack off the bumpstop mount, stand the shock up, toss on drag brakes and see if a double beadlocked 12" wheel will fit for the 275.

Last edited:
Back