16" waffle stars..?

keeno

Mustang Freak
Reaction score
Will the ugly ass 16" waffle star gt rims clear the front brakes on a S197?
Looking for cheap options for lighter fronts when going to the track..over my heavy ass 20" rims. Set local for sell...

eddieval5

forum member
Reaction score
Stock gt brakes? My brother just so happened to get some today ill slap one on my front wheel for you tomorrow and post a pic.

keeno

Mustang Freak
Reaction score
Thanks Eddie! Yes stock GT brakes.....I figured with all the problems fitting 15" wheels on these things, a stock 16" wheel would be no problem..

keeno

Mustang Freak
Reaction score
I would love to have some racestars...but i'm racing on a budget...I figured the 16" were at least a little lighter than the 20's I'm running now on the front at the track...

hangon

forum member
Reaction score
I know your wheels have got to be extremely heavy because I have them in 18x9 and they are way to heavy. Just pick you up some of the summit style 5 spokes. You'll save on shipping because you can just go pick them up. I'm sure they have them in stock.

keeno

Mustang Freak
Reaction score
Yeah they do.I called Summit today..I'm probably getting those tomorrow..I will need 3/8 spacers from what i have read on here...?

keeno

Mustang Freak
Reaction score
I've seen some guys running a set of spare/donut tires up front.
Do they use the temporary tires or put taller skinny tires on and use the steel skinnys? I actually have 2 of those donuts from a 99-04..I wonder if they would clear the calipers on the 05?

keeno

Mustang Freak
Reaction score
Does anyone know if the spares from the trunk of 99-04 will fit on the front of S197's ?

Daniel Day

Resident psychopath
Reaction score
Since you already have a pair, just bolt one of them on and see. If it does, it will be close.

keeno

Mustang Freak
Reaction score
I almost have to take mine to a shop everytime I need to do anything that requires jacking the car up, its so low..add the Roush ground effects and its even worse..I figured someone may have tried this already.

eddieval5

forum member
Reaction score
Sorry didnt get a chance yesterday got off work late and it rained soon as i got to my dads. Will get pics uploaded sometime today.

eddieval5

forum member
Reaction score
And that is a Negative they do not fit. The wheel doesn't sit flush against the hub and the caliper touches the inner part of the rim and scratches the piss out of it.

IMAG0085.jpg

IMAG0086.jpg

Didn't even make a 1/4 turn and it did this.

IMAG0087.jpg

IMAG0088.jpg

IMAG0089.jpg

And a little surprise i saw while i had the wheel off :/ guess i have to go shopping at autozone this weekend.

IMAG0090.jpg

keeno

Mustang Freak
Reaction score
Well thanks for going to the trouble...saved me from buying the rims then having to sell them again..but hey, you found the torn tie rod boot! Thanks!

eddieval5

forum member
Reaction score
no problem glad i could give to this forum. yeah hoping thats the cause of the popping and clunking i here when driving.

Back