2.6L KB blower and hotrod cams..bypass valve mod?

teeje

Reaction score
Short and simple. I have the stage 1 2.6L intercooled supercharger kit from Kennebell. Lito mentioned something about a bypass valve mod because I have cams. I have hotrod cams I know they aren’t very aggressive but I know vacuum Will fluctuate at idle and cruising conditions so I don’t want to have issues. However, Lito was unaware that KB now offers a new #5 bypass valve. Link is here: http://kennebell.net/products/accessories/external-spring-supercharger-bypass-valve/
My question is, what is this bypass valve mod? He said it was on DOBs FB page but I cannot find it for the life of me. My second question is, should I just bite the bullet and call KB and have them send me the bypass valve I linked? Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

crjackson

Reaction score
If Lito recommends this MOD, then I’d listen to him. You didn’t post much info about your car, or the cam profiles, so I assume Loto has all the info already.

Seems like good insurance to protect your ride.

teeje

Reaction score
If Lito recommends this MOD, then I’d listen to him. You didn’t post much info about your car, or the cam profiles, so I assume Loto has all the info already.

Seems like good insurance to protect your ride.

They’re just ford hotrod cams. I’m too lazy to look up the specs but they’re easily available online. But Lito does have all the info on everything done to my mustang. But he mentioned this “mod” and to search DOB for it but I can’t find this “mod” whatever this mod may be I’d like to know. He’s tuned my mustang for 3-4 years now. Got me all the way to FBO now it’s boost time.

MrAwesome987

forum member
Reaction score
I have Detroit rocker S/C cams, and initially did the bypass mod. Drivability was terrible. Boost was an on off switch. Put the spring back in the bypass valve, and drivability is much better. Car runs fine. I'm running a DOB intake and an M122, so this may be a bit different for your KB setup.

crjackson

Reaction score
Sounds like cams / blower is a mixed bag for street use. Mine is smoother than stock and pushing well north of 700HP. I was considering new heads/cams, seems like it’s good that I didn’t.

Drivability is paramount for me. Love my Roush setup. I hope you get this sorted soon.

MrAwesome987

forum member
Reaction score
The "mod" he is referencing is literally just removing the spring from the bypass actuator. Pretty easy and reversible, but id suggest trying what you've got first, without the mod.

crjackson

Reaction score
I wouldn’t go with no spring, but VMP makes the valve with a very light spring. That seems more reasonable than the no-spring mod.

teeje

Reaction score
Thank you guys for your input. As far as I know kennebell makes that #5 bypass valve which opens up at lower vacuum. The kennebell low vacuum bypass valve opens up down to 5”hg. Would it just be better to go with that?

teeje

Reaction score
Spoke with kennebell. They’re sending me a soft spring that opens down to I believe 5”

jdlatil

Twin Srew Driver
Reaction score
What issues are you having with the current set-up?

teeje

Reaction score
What issues are you having with the current set-up?

Lito said aftermarket cams lose vacuum, which they do, but since they run at lower vacuum , it can cause the bypass valve to stay open when cruising and idling causing it to overheat (the blower) and cause idle surging.

jdlatil

Twin Srew Driver
Reaction score
Low vacuum by pass will pass with drivability if you vacuum was too low to close by pass. Let me, know if you have issues after by pass change.
I have been messing with KB for long time.

teeje

Reaction score
Low vacuum by pass will pass with drivability if you vacuum was too low to close by pass. Let me, know if you have issues after by pass change.

Will do. All they did so far was send me a softer spring. They said that they have another bypass valve that has an internal spring but it would basically be an on off switch and not many people like that. So they said to try this first

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back