2006 Mustang Dash Panel Speedo/Tach and Vent Bright Trim

Cokeologist

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I am purchasing a 2006 Mustang and would like to remove the bright trim around the vents and the tach/speedo and paint them to black. Interested if anyone has done this, and how to go about removing those trim pieces. Thanks in advance.

DieHarder

Reaction score
Removing the trim is easy. Just get yourself some plastic trim removal tools to prevent scratches. I wouldn't paint them black however there are some semi-clear plastic tinting colors including black that would make the trim appear to be black chrome if you're interested in that.

Cokeologist

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Removing the trim is easy. Just get yourself some plastic trim removal tools to prevent scratches. I wouldn't paint them black however there are some semi-clear plastic tinting colors including black that would make the trim appear to be black chrome if you're interested in that.

Thanks; so they just pry off with trim removal tools?

DieHarder

Reaction score
Essentially, lower the steering wheel; start with the left side just below the air vent where the plastic splits. Get underneath the upper section with some plastic pry tools and pull straight back. It should come out fairly easily. Then follow the rest of the clips to the right air vents. Been a while since I've had mine out but never any issue getting it out or back in.

Dino Dino Bambino

I have a red car
Reaction score
I like mine as they are in chrome. They, together with the brushed aluminium look steering wheel spokes, brighten up an interior that's otherwise black or charcoal.

1702539627467.png
Interior.JPG

Cokeologist

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Essentially, lower the steering wheel; start with the left side just below the air vent where the plastic splits. Get underneath the upper section with some plastic pry tools and pull straight back. It should come out fairly easily. Then follow the rest of the clips to the right air vents. Been a while since I've had mine out but never any issue getting it out or back in.

Got it; thanks. Do the bright trim rings around the vents work the same way?

DieHarder

Reaction score
It's very simple. There are a few Utube vids on it if you want to watch them first.

Ret

forum member
Reaction score
How about just take one off, spray it, and see if it accomplishes what you're after. It's hard to envision that the spray would adhere to it but this would give a chance to see if it accomplishes the look you're after and if the paint will stick to the surface.

Cokeologist

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
How about just take one off, spray it, and see if it accomplishes what you're after. It's hard to envision that the spray would adhere to it but this would give a chance to see if it accomplishes the look you're after and if the paint will stick to the surface.

I have done this three times already with 2013-2014 Mustangs. I know that it will accomplish the look that I am after. I just didn't know how to remove the trim rings for a 2006.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back