2007 Mustang GT engine swap or build current motor

Suppertmain

Reaction score
Hey all,

So I was able to buy back my first car which was a 2007 shelby gt350 and I had done a ton of work on it over the years but now I am ready to do a bunch more to it. Mainly I want to get close to 1200whp via twin turbos and to get there I can't quite decide. Currently it has a built 4.6 that has been bored and stroked with an aluminum block but if anything else was done I am not sure. The options I keep thinking of is either build the current motor more (not sure how much more I can build it), or do a swap mainly to a 5.0 or the 7.3 godzilla. Anyone have any insights about what may be the most cost effective path to reach my goal? I know it will not be cheap

AHaze

Reaction score
Are you building a drag car with an ET goal in mind or did you just pick that number out of the air? 1200 is legit race car territory.
Do you have any idea what has been done inside the current motor? A 3V can get to 1200 (I recall seeing 1350 as the record at one point) but it takes some special voodoo and wont be much fun on public roads. Most "built" 4.6 bottom ends are good to maybe 800 and if you plan to keep this as a legit street car, I would suggest that's plenty.

Zach Baumann

Reaction score
I am building a NA 4.6 3v currently and personally I believe that there are more options for the 5.0 route and many more external sources to get info/tuning. The 3v’s seem to be a speciality market. Don’t get me wrong I love them but if I wanted to make 1200 I’d probably go coyote.

mattjames

Reaction score
I am building a NA 4.6 3v currently and personally I believe that there are more options for the 5.0 route and many more external sources to get info/tuning. The 3v’s seem to be a speciality market. Don’t get me wrong I love them but if I wanted to make 1200 I’d probably go coyote.

If you want to do a Coyote, I have made a wiring guide to do it without a control pack. Also have it fully documented. www.youtube.com/mattsoppa www.make-it-modular.com

Suppertmain

Reaction score
Are you building a drag car with an ET goal in mind or did you just pick that number out of the air? 1200 is legit race car territory.
Do you have any idea what has been done inside the current motor? A 3V can get to 1200 (I recall seeing 1350 as the record at one point) but it takes some special voodoo and wont be much fun on public roads. Most "built" 4.6 bottom ends are good to maybe 800 and if you plan to keep this as a legit street car, I would suggest that's plenty.

Main reason is cause I have a 2020 gt500 with a bit over 1000whp and I had a supra with about the same so I wanted to make something that had more than both of them. It is not super necessary but just wanted that to be the target. From what people have been saying and what I have read, the 5.0 seems to be the best option. So now I will just need to figure out what all I will need to make the swap happen and then figure out what all needs to be built in the engine to handle the power

Dino Dino Bambino

I have a red car
Reaction score
The most cost effective way to 1200rwhp would be a twin turbo 7.3 Godzilla. The bigger displacement will get you there with a lot less boost, and consequently less stress on the engine, while the physically smaller dimensions of the Godzilla leaves more underhood space for the turbos.

AHaze

Reaction score
I agree with Dino ^^^^
A Coyote isn't enough of an advantage over a 4.6 at that power level to justify the swap.
If you're gonna go to the trouble of an engine swap, go for the Godzilla. The street manners will be far better than a smaller motor running on the ragged edge.

JC SSP

Reaction score
I would love to see pics of your GT500. Your old Supra too... Those things fly!

Deathstang II

Reaction score
Stick with a 3v, I'm currently in the process of building mine and I'd much rather have the title of a 'yote killer than doing what everyone else does.....coyote swap everything....yawn. Plus, you have a better sounding motor than the 5.0 ;)

whitmanink

Reaction score
There's no replacement for displacement
thats what turbos are for, not to mention , like the 5.0 uses vct and twin cams to make up for the smaller displacement, infact delete 2 cams off the 5.0 and you are in 3v area now

Last edited:

mattjames

Reaction score
thats what turbos are for, not to mention , like the 5.0 uses vct and twin cams to make up for the smaller displacement, infact delete 2 cams off the 5.0 and you are in 3v area now

that’s the silliest statement with the cams I’ve ever heard

whitmanink

Reaction score
that’s the silliest statement with the cams I’ve ever heard

i dunno i was under the impression that the 4 cams and extra valves are how the 5.0 get the extra power from,, seeing how a 4.6 can be at the same power level as a gen 1 ? thats how i came to my strange thinking lol

Dino Dino Bambino

I have a red car
Reaction score
i dunno i was under the impression that the 4 cams and extra valves are how the 5.0 get the extra power from, seeing how a 4.6 can be at the same power level as a gen 1 ? that's how i came to my strange thinking lol

The Coyote 5.0 not only has eight more valves, two more camshafts, a 1.2 point higher compression ratio (2.2 points for Gen 3), and 350cc more displacement (434cc for Gen 3), but it also has TiVCT. This system varies the cam lobe separation angle as well as the intake/exhaust centerline angles, thus allowing the Coyote to put out more torque over a wider rpm range than a 4.6 3V could ever accomplish.

Last edited:

Dino Dino Bambino

I have a red car
Reaction score
Little motor, big motor, the results are the same, once you add the blower. Both make more power.

But the bigger motor can make the same power as the smaller motor with a lot less boost, thus allowing the bigger motor to live longer.

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
How the hell ur gonna get 1200 hp out of a 4.6 is beyond me.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back