2007 V6 S197 Struts not centered in tower hole

Sleepy22_98

Reaction score
I just replace the lower control arms in a 2007 that I recently bought. The car has newer struts, shocks, sway bar links, and tie rods. After taking it for a test ride tonight, I am still hearing clunking from something on the passenger side. Thinking maybe the strut mount. Then I noticed that the piston rod threads with the nut are not in the center of the tower hole and was wondering if something was not installed right by the previous owners mechanic. I do not see any kind of camber adjustment bolts on the strut. You can also see marks in the paint of the tower where the 4 nuts used to sit, so it looks like the nuts are nut in the same spot as they once were. So wondering if the strut isnt sitting correctly and this caused damage to the mount. any ideas?

DieHarder

Reaction score
There is no camber adjustment to speak of unless you add camber bolts or something else to make it adjustable. That said, it's more likely your sway bar links are loose. I would check torque on all of the bolts/nuts on the right side of the suspension to ensure everything is tight. Might be a good idea to have alignment checked if that wasn't done after all of the parts were replaced.

Sleepy22_98

Reaction score
I’ll check all the nuts and bolts. But I’m sure I pulled on everything already looking for looseness. Is it normal that the strut is not centered in the hole. Wondering if I should loosen up the 4 mounting nuts and see if I can center them. Going to get alignment once I’m sure everything is good.

JC SSP

Reaction score
Can you post pic?

I think the control arms R/L side specific, so there is no way those are on backwards.

Sleepy22_98

Reaction score
I took pictures of each side, but not sure how to load the picture up into the posting. I also checked all the bolts and I found one on the driver side that was for the sway bar link that was a little bit loose. Also noticed that the sway bar bushings have this opening slip, facing up on one and facing down on the other. I’m guessing that makes no difference.

F50AE138-5886-4CCE-8595-E93F06D11AC4.jpeg

D1DBA3ED-4D6B-4924-BF5A-41E6FE7B2723.jpeg

Miker

Reaction score
Those sway bar end links are torqued to 85 ft lbs. That's pretty tight. Also the strut top mount is designed to go in a certain way. It has a notch that should face outward. I wonder if someone installed it in a different orientation to try and get a different camber number for some reason? That doesn't look right.

2011/5.0

Reaction score
Those sway bar end links are torqued to 85 ft lbs. That's pretty tight. Also the strut top mount is designed to go in a certain way. It has a notch that should face outward. I wonder if someone installed it in a different orientation to try and get a different camber number for some reason? That doesn't look right.
The only time you want to switch the top mount is if the car has been lowered,which makes it easier to align without camber bolts or slotting the strut holes out.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
Mine are exactly like that, on purpose.
I have steeda cc plates, thats why.

JC SSP

Reaction score
As previously stated, check to see of the strut mount is oriented correctly...

Notice the notch on the GT500 mounts, this goes facing the engine compartment.

s-l640.jpg

dt3570__3.jpg

Sleepy22_98

Reaction score
Loosened the top nuts and pulled it down to look at top of mount. I do not see any arrows or cut outs for alignment. Here is a pic of the strut numbers but can’t find anything on line which one it is

98283CAA-A747-4D65-A203-B8FB30F0C231.jpeg

JC SSP

Reaction score
Rotate it clockwise once and check, then rotate again, etc and see if its in the center.

Sleepy22_98

Reaction score
Since I was trying to rotate them out, but could not I decided to take the shock out and found what I’m guessing. It’s supposed to be the Mark. See picture this Mark is facing the back of the shirt facing towards the engine.

026B9A3A-348F-47A8-A5E5-BF69FB7557BB.jpeg

Sleepy22_98

Reaction score
I rotated the Mark 180° and put it back in the car and now it is centered. Thanks for your help.

Miker

Reaction score
As previously stated, check to see of the strut mount is oriented correctly...

Notice the notch on the GT500 mounts, this goes facing the engine compartment.

s-l640.jpg

dt3570__3.jpg

I think you are mistaken. The arrow and the notch goes outward, away from the engine compartment. At least I hope you are wrong as my car is at the alignment shop right now and I oriented them facing out!

JC SSP

Reaction score
I think you are mistaken. The arrow and the notch goes outward, away from the engine compartment. At least I hope you are wrong as my car is at the alignment shop right now and I oriented them facing out!

My bad, you are correct arrow or notch facing out the fender. NOT IN!

Sorry been awhile since I have done these.

Sleepy22_98

Reaction score
I got a question about my other car issue...Ford Focus with a rattling in the drivers side suspension...Struts and sway bar links are 1.5 years old and i just put new lower control arms in a couple months ago...after the new arms got an alignment....switched the front with the rear tire since it was supped on inside edge and now new tire is cupped....everything seems tight and i was wondering if the bearing got busted by a pot hole. so im in the process of removing the strut...question is can the link seem tight, but actually be bad?

I took the strut out this morning and it seems totally fine, like new....the only old part under there is the ti rods....the ball joint shaft is loose in the it is easy to move front to back but not up and done, like normal wear, but not worn out...it does make a noise when it hits the side...is that still a good tie rod end...would this be able to cause a cupped tire on edge?

Last edited:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back