2007 Won't Crank or Start

760Mustang

forum member
Reaction score
I'll try to be as inclusive as possible in terms of what I've recently worked on and what I've tried.

A few days back I swapped out my spark plugs as needed, in addition to changing the oil and filter a day or two after that. After those two items were addressed, everything was well and drove fine. I don't think either of those are the issue, but I still wanted to include them anyway. Yesterday I was swapping out some worn outer tie rod ends and upon putting my car back together and taking it off my ramps, I turn the key and nothing happens under the hood. I spent a few hours trying to figure out what had gone wrong and the only thing I could think of was the banging on the knuckle that the tie rod ends go into had dislodged something, whether it be a ground wire, internal component somewhere in the starter. I gave up after it had gotten dark, though went back in a couple of hours and decided to further test and try to hear anything at all under the hood when it suddenly came back to life without any fuss. I thought all was well until I checked again today and the same no start and no crank is happening. I've been taking everything apart trying to find what's wrong and was hoping somebody would be able to help point me in the right direction after all my research online hasn't pinpointed the issue yet.

Here's a list of things that I experienced:

- All electronics appear to work
- Lights turn on and do not dim when turning the key
- No security lights indicate that should be worried about
- No clicking sound from the starter
- No cranking sounds
- Battery and alternator are less than three months old (and not Ford's OEM parts) and battery terminals look great
- Starter's connections were nice and tight.
- I can't find any loose wires anywhere, though I haven't raised the car to look for any. Would there be any close the bottom that could cause this
- Starter relay is functional (tested by swapping horn relay and horn operated fine)
- Tried steering wheel locked and unlocked, no change
- It's an automatic so nothing to do with the clutch not pressed enough
- Tried both keys and it makes no difference

The items that could rule in to be the issue are a bad starter, poor connection to starter, bad ignition switch, and bad neutral safety switch.
I'm in the process of removing the plugs to see if I can turn the engine by hand. My entire dash is as apart to inspect the ignition switch and make sure there wasn't a loose wire back there either, and there isn't. I don't have any electrical testing tools to make sure a component is getting power, but I'm also at about my wit's end with it. If anybody has any input or questions, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

760Mustang

forum member
Reaction score
Just an update saying that the motor can be turned manually, thankfully. Still trying to get to the bottom of it. Spark plugs came out a little too easy so I'll get those torqued up a bit more right now.

I think it may make the most sense to be the starter completely failed, but I'll still look into other causes and am certainly open to suggestions.

Wes06

forum member
Reaction score
Tried tapping on the starter while key turned?
Solenoid may be stuck

nbk13nw

forum member
Reaction score
It would crank but not fire.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Wicked GT

OCD with ADD...
Reaction score
Could you have accidentally grounded the battery? I accidentally hit the wrench against the shock tower and popped the fuse on the positive terminal. Easy, quick, cheap replacement but was a bitch to diagnose.

760Mustang

forum member
Reaction score
Tried tapping on the starter while key turned?
Solenoid may be stuck
I tried that to no avail. I've had charging system issues with this car and replaced a at least times in nine years, then needed to replace the alternator from it being overworked, so it makes sense to me that it could be time to replace the starter as well.

Could you have accidentally grounded the battery? I accidentally hit the wrench against the shock tower and popped the fuse on the positive terminal. Easy, quick, cheap replacement but was a bitch to diagnose.
I wouldn't even know how to test that, but the battery gets the little spark when first reconnecting the negative terminal and powers all the electronics in my car. Would a grounded battery permit the car to start a few times in a row as it did last night? I'm definitely not the best with electrical issues, so it's very possible that my response to your help doesn't even make sense. Please let me know if that's the case!

I ordered a new starter, ignition switch, and neutral safety switch just in case and they'll be here in a couple days. In the meantime, I'll jack the car up tomorrow to get a better look at the starter and it's connections and also take it to get tested if everything looks good and/or is cleaned. I really appreciate any and all help and I'll definitely post what the problem and solution is once it's figured out.

07 Boss

Reaction score
I ordered a new starter, ignition switch, and neutral safety switch just in case and they'll be here in a couple days. In the meantime, I'll jack the car up tomorrow to get a better look at the starter and it's connections and also take it to get tested if everything looks good and/or is cleaned. I really appreciate any and all help and I'll definitely post what the problem and solution is once it's figured out.

So you're just gonna start throwing parts at it? It sounds like a neutral safety switch but I would look into it deeper before just swapping parts that might be perfectly good.

Have you tried to jiggle the shifter around when it doesn't crank? You can have the starter tested or test it yourself before buying a new one. I doubt it is your actual ignition switch if everything else powers up.

760Mustang

forum member
Reaction score
So you're just gonna start throwing parts at it? It sounds like a neutral safety switch but I would look into it deeper before just swapping parts that might be perfectly good.

Have you tried to jiggle the shifter around when it doesn't crank? You can have the starter tested or test it yourself before buying a new one. I doubt it is your actual ignition switch if everything else powers up.

Easy there with your assumptions. Regardless of what the problem may be, I bought parts that could be the problem as a preemptive measure to mitigate the time the car would be nonoperational. Getting everything at once ahead of time allows me to figure out the problem ahead of time and fix specifically the only item that needs to be fixed, rather than your assumption that I'm installing everything just for the fun of it. Things can be returned if you don't install them :p Jiggling the shifter does nothing, but thank you.

Upon connecting the ignition switch wire/starter solenoid terminal to the battery, the car cranks and eventually starts. The car still doesn't turn on with the key once turned off from this method. I think this rules out the neutral safety switch and ignition switch, but please correct me if I'm wrong. I think that this narrows it down to either a starter that isn't getting enough power or a starter that is failing. I'm going to disconnect the starter from the car and test it off the car, as well as cleaning all the terminals and checking all wires related to it. If somebody is more electrical savvy, please chime in!

760Mustang

forum member
Reaction score
Well that was short lived. One out of three times started the car, though with lots of hesitation. The other two times just cranked and didn't start. Now there's no crank, but I can hear the starter spinning, no clicking though. Time to take it off.

hammeron

forum member
Reaction score
based on what you are seeing now, maybe it is the starter motor. i'm pretty sure the engine has to be spinning at some minimum rpm (150)? before it will fire. keep plugging away, you will sort this out soon.

760Mustang

forum member
Reaction score
Tested the started off the car and both the solenoid and starter worked properly. I wiped the live wire and ignition wire to the starter clean, in addition to cleaning the ground that goes under the plastic at the base of the windscreen. Put the starter back on the car and it started up with a little hesitation and stumbled a bit and had some backfiring and it seems that my connection to or plug in 2 or 3 is bad. I'll likely be giving it a break tomorrow, but will have a week off to solve any remaining mysteries and install a few parts. Will keep the thread updated!

760Mustang

forum member
Reaction score
Just to close out this thread, I'm not sure what the original issue was, what caused it to temporarily cease, then come back. My best guess would just be that there was a poor connection that was cleaned up and/or secured better. As for the backfiring, it was indeed an issue with my cylinder 3 plug and the port needed to be rethreaded. Everything's running smooth again!

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back