2008 GT Stock Exhaust Drones from 1k to 2k rpm

bigbooster

2008 Mustang GT Owner
Reaction score
This is my first car and my first mustang, and i knew what i was getting into. Recently driving it on a 1200 mile trip i quickly discovered a nearly unbearable exhaust drone in the low end of the tachometer in fifth gear. Mustangs run in the family, my mom still has her '66 289 V8 convertible and my dad had 2, an '07 GT convertible and a '11 GT Convertible, and neither had such a sound. The car is in good shape with 57k miles on it, and other than a set of vinyl stripes the previous owner put on, it is a bone stock 08 GT Convertible. I heard on similar threads that you can put dynamat down in the trunk, but being a convertible, it wont do much good. Are there any (affordable) exhaust systems that don't suffer from drone? Is it a more serious issue such as a throttle body sensor failure? I already searched around for similar threads, but none came to a solid conclusion. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 21

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
It's the axle backs. Search for 'drone' tons of threads.

Last edited:

weather man

Persistance Is A Bitch
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Install Borla touring, be happy.

bigbooster

2008 Mustang GT Owner
Reaction score
v8's... They make noise.

I am used to v8's. My dad currently owns a C7 corvette convertible, and my mom's 289 V8 1966 mustang convertible still runs and rumbles every weekend. My dad had 2 other mustangs recently, a 2007 GT conv. and a 2011 GT conv. Neither had a drone similar to the one coming out of my car. This isn't just "a noise" it is a painfully loud monotone drone in the low revrange.

Hotrodtinker

Sandwich Ninja
Reaction score
Check to make sure the clamps on the mufflers are tight and that there's no holes anywhere back there. You may just be being sensitive (although I doubt that by your other posts :cheersman:). I'd check to make sure there's no damage or faults. Are you sure there aren't aftermarket mufflers on it?

bigbooster

2008 Mustang GT Owner
Reaction score
Check to make sure the clamps on the mufflers are tight and that there's no holes anywhere back there. You may just be being sensitive (although I doubt that by your other posts :cheersman:). I'd check to make sure there's no damage or faults. Are you sure there aren't aftermarket mufflers on it?

There could be some aftermarket stuff, but the mufflers are oem and everything else (even the air filter) is still stock. Thanks for the helpful info and quick reply, I just want to make sure im not driving around with a leaky exhaust or a ruined muffler. Tomorrow i will know if anything was replaced via the ford 50k mile service, but i dont want to have to spend money i dont have to on exhaust components.:High 5:

Hotrodtinker

Sandwich Ninja
Reaction score
I totally feel for you brother. I've gotten lucky recently selling a few things around the house and getting good deals on stuff but otherwise I need to be careful with my monies right now. Hope you get it figured out quick! I know how annoying drone can be! The car looks good though and you'll find tons of help here. I'm addicted to this website already...

PS: If there IS something wrong with your mufflers I'll sell you my stockers for cheap as hell in a few weeks after I move.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Hard to be certain from the pick, however, IMO, the tips shown are not OEM tips

OEM mufflers didn't drone.

bigbooster

2008 Mustang GT Owner
Reaction score
Thanks, i guess all i can do for now is wait until i get the service report back, and the service bill :bawl:, but hopefully i can get some insight from the guys who made it.

weather man

Persistance Is A Bitch
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Hard to be certain from the pick, however, IMO, the tips shown are not OEM tips

OEM mufflers didn't drone.

Mine did, although it was bearable. The borla were night and day.

bigbooster

2008 Mustang GT Owner
Reaction score
It is too late and dark now to try to get a good pic of the mufflers, and all i have to post is the low res dealership images from when i bought the car.

Attachments

• 45.jpg
    45.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 14
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 14
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 15
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 14

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score

:okay2:

Go look and see if there is writing on the top,of the tips

These are stockers.
488977d1452090423-exhaust-drone-next-steps-imageuploadedbyag-free1452090422.784522.jpg

bigbooster

2008 Mustang GT Owner
Reaction score
There is no writing on the top of the tip, normally where the pypes/borla/ford racing/bbk/etc. logo is stamped there, but this is just smooth chrome. It looks like the stock muffler with the chrome tips (an option on my year mustang).

Attachments

• s-l225.jpg
    s-l225.jpg
    7.6 KB · Views: 110

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Hmmm.... Ok long time since I had a GT

KatoS197

forum member
Reaction score
I was gonna say....I don't remember rolled tips on 05-09 cars from the factory. Could be wrong though.

Still think there's a leak somewhere.

NickD87

forum member
Reaction score
Looking at the tips Im thinking its stock and based off how your describing I am leaning to small leak as well.

Weatherman I do find my touring have some drone, night and day vs s-types but still a hint

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back