2010 mustang gt clutch and shifting issues

michaelthreatt24

Reaction score
There was a clutch kit put in my car about 2 weeks ago. Now I can get in my car it shifts fine, but after I drive it for awhile the gears get real notchy. Then when I stop at a light it is real hard to get it in first gear. I can cut the car off the shifter goes right in gear. Please help what could be the problem?

THUNDER39

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
There was a clutch kit put in my car about 2 weeks ago. Now I can get in my car it shifts fine, but after I drive it for awhile the gears get real notchy. Then when I stop at a light it is real hard to get it in first gear. I can cut the car off the shifter goes right in gear. Please help what could be the problem?

THUNDER39

That is a symptom of a slave cylinder going bad. It happened to me when I put a Centerforce clutch in. Any pressure plate that puts excessive force on the slave cylinder will cause premature wear. In my case it took about 1500 miles for it to completely go out. Replaced with a McLeod RST and new slave and never had a clutch issue again.

What clutch kit did you have installed?

michaelthreatt24

Reaction score
I am not sure. My car was in a chop for a week for alignment issues then all of a sudden the clutch went out. The shop paid for the clutch. I just know it came from O'Reillys

THUNDER39

michaelthreatt24

Reaction score
I think the clutch kit from O'Reillys had a new slave cylinder in it. My car shifted fine when I first got it then after about a week and a half when it started getting hard to shift

THUNDER39

AbdullaGT500

forum member
Reaction score
I put an Oreilys clutch in a 2010 GT at my dealership a few months back. It lasted about 100 miles before it completely came apart. Pedal got more and more stiff and it let go completely. I've had 3 2010 GT's with Clutch master cylinder problems. Not sure if there was a change in that year or what the deal is, but they seem to go bad often.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
Is there a better replacement slave cylinder other than the oem piece?

The oem is a pretty good unit. The problem is clutch companies who overload it with too stiff of pressure plates. Use what's worked for others. In my case it's been McLeod RST (RXT uses the same pressure plate) and Exedy 07806 which is comparable to the Mach 350 or 400 depending on the disc.

To answer the question you asked I'd say that no, there isn't a better slave than a Motorcraft slave. All of the aftermarket ones to come out have had issues.

michaelthreatt24

Reaction score
My problem ended up being the clutch master cylinder. Thanks for your help

THUNDER39

michaelthreatt24

Reaction score
I am back again come to find out It was not the clutch master cylinder. I tried taking it back but the mechanic shop that put the clutch in is not warranting the work because it was cash in hand no paper work. The mechanic did not supply the parts so that is his reason for not warranting it. I found out from Ford that the slave cylinder was leaking. Ford really don't want to touch it because they did not put the clutch in. I just got a bad deal first off when I went to pick my car up after a week is when I found out about a clutch. 2nd there is no paperwork on the clutch job. 3rd I really don't have the money to do the job right. So I don't know what to do.

THUNDER39

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Time to back up and punt. Maybe it's time to learn how to replace your own clutch. Do you have the tools and space to work on the car yourself? Because otherwise it's a crap shoot taking it from one shop to the next and hoping one of them will eventually fix all the issues caused by the previous shops without fucking you.

michaelthreatt24

Reaction score
My only problem is I didn't have the clutch put in my car. The shop had it for alignment issues for a week then when I went to pick it up is when I found out about the clutch. I just think it is bad business but I am on the receiving end of it and I can't do anything about it.

THUNDER39

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Based on your description of the events, I would guess that one of O'Reilly's inept employees fried your clutch because the person moving your car didn't know how to drive a manual. They knew they were at fault which is why they replaced your clutch hoping to make the problem go away. If it's that bad then perhaps a lawyer might convince O'Reilly's corporate to pay for fixing your car to the condition it was before via the Ford dealership might be a possible course of action.

Under absolutely no circumstances would I let O'Reilly's shop touch your car again.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
There is only one thing you can do on a budget. Get a used oem takeoff clutch and pressure plate along with a new slave and do it yourself. If you have a few hundred dollars then look at a kit from rockauto.com. They have kits that include all new parts, some even have a new flywheel.

I'd guess that the alignment shop had some fun with your car on a test drive but you will never know for sure.

michaelthreatt24

Reaction score
I agree O'Reillys didn't put the clutch in. Leeds Collision had my car for alignment so they had Jinright Automotive put the clutch in. O'Reillys is the part store the clutch kit was purchased from.

THUNDER39

michaelthreatt24

Reaction score
I have been during a lot of research in my clutch issues come to find out. The manager at the Leeds Collision Shop was joy riding in my car getting side ways etc. He didn't know that I knew he was driving car unnecessarily he said the clutch just went out and he was being nice by replacing it. My car is stuck at the Ford Dealership the slave cylinder from the clutch kit was pouring out fluid. Ford doesn't want to touch the clutch because it is not a OEM clutch.

THUNDER39

michaelthreatt24

Reaction score
Well the problem is he's just saying it just went out but I have witnesses saying he was driving my car hard. I finally got in touch with the Owner of Leeds Collision so he suppose to getting to the bottom of this whole ordeal and suppose to call me back. I really don't know how it's going to turn out. I just want my car fixed and fixed right. I just really think it is bad business for Leeds Collision Shop driving a customers car for your pleasure.

THUNDER39

mrt2you

forum member
Reaction score
I will start by saying I have worked at new car dealer body shops for over 30 years. I have seen lots of unusual things happen.
your situation is pretty cut and dry. there should be no way possible not to end up without a new oem clutch installed by a qualified mechanic.

was the body work customer pay or insurance?

if collision shop owner doesn't pay for a new oem clutch. and it was insurance work you could file a complaint with the insurance co. they will have a LOT of influence over the shop regarding direct repair relationship with them, they can pull the direct repair status and cost the shop a LOT of money.

if the owner gives you anything but payment for a new oem clutch installed by a ford dealership, I myself would lawyer up ASAP. this will be the fastest was to solve this problem. and yes legal fees are recoverable in court in this case.

even if it was customer pay a lawyer can resolve it quickly. the shop owner knows he won't have a leg to stand on once this case ends up in court.

Last edited:

michaelthreatt24

Reaction score
I finally got my car fixed the right way by Pell City Ford. I have new clutch master cylinder, flywheel, clutch, slave cylinder. Pell City Ford has a great service shop. They did everything thing in there power to help me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back