2010 sway bars

Gfreak

Reaction score
Hey y'all. curious what your thoughts are about aftermarket sway bars for a daily driver.

I don't have a ton of mods in the car at the moment, but do have it lowered slightly this kit: https://www.steeda.com/bilstein-mus...t-lowering-spring-kit-05-10-gt-46-228888.html
(and a panhard bar in the back)

took it in for some PM work recently and the shop said that the front sway bar bushings are bad, and the rear sway bar itself is bad. But they wanted just under $600 to do the work (and supposedly the rear bushings are discontinued/nla?)

Anyways, trying to figure out if it's worth spending the money for aftermarket replacements for each. And if so which ones would y'all recommend?

I see Steeda recommended quite a bit, but not sure if it matters much on a daily or not either way.

Appreciate any advice y'all

GriffX

Reaction score
Do you have the changeable bushings in the front or the pressed-on type? The newer pressed-on has less NVH than the older. The rear is a solid beam, it can rust but that's all and usually not a problem.
The best with beefier swaybars, they do not make driving uncomfortable, one of the best mods I did (from 2007 to 2014 OEM bars).

DieHarder

Reaction score
Hey y'all. curious what your thoughts are about aftermarket sway bars for a daily driver.

I don't have a ton of mods in the car at the moment, but do have it lowered slightly this kit: https://www.steeda.com/bilstein-mus...t-lowering-spring-kit-05-10-gt-46-228888.html
(and a panhard bar in the back)

took it in for some PM work recently and the shop said that the front sway bar bushings are bad, and the rear sway bar itself is bad. But they wanted just under $600 to do the work (and supposedly the rear bushings are discontinued/nla?)

Anyways, trying to figure out if it's worth spending the money for aftermarket replacements for each. And if so which ones would y'all recommend?

I see Steeda recommended quite a bit, but not sure if it matters much on a daily or not either way.

Appreciate any advice y'all

Sway bars don't usually go "bad" unless they've rusted through. The links can go bad however. In this case sounds like someone trying to take you for a ride. If the bushings are bad you can measure the diameter of the sway bars and buy Prothane bushings to replace them. Inexpensive and will make a measurable difference in the ride and handling. Also easy to change out yourself (a couple of hours work even if you're old like me). :snoopy

AHaze

Reaction score
Do you have the track pack? If so, the sway bars are already GT500 pieces and probably not worth upgrading unless you want adjustable bars to fine tune cornering balance.
I picked up a used Steeda adjustable front bar and paired it with a stock GT500 rear bar and poly bushings. I have the front bar on the middle setting most of the time. Full stiff makes the car understeer more than I like.

Gfreak

Reaction score
Do you have the changeable bushings in the front or the pressed-on type? The newer pressed-on has less NVH than the older. The rear is a solid beam, it can rust but that's all and usually not a problem.
The best with beefier swaybars, they do not make driving uncomfortable, one of the best mods I did (from 2007 to 2014 OEM bars).
I'm actually not sure, i'd have to check.

good to know that they don't affect the drive-ability at all!

JC SSP

Reaction score
For many years people have been removing sway bars (most the front) for weight transfer during drag racing. They are designed to control body roll when handling.

I recommend fixing your stock one, cheap GT500 from a junk yard or aftermarket set. Depends what you do with the car and how much you want to spend.

Gfreak

Reaction score
Sway bars don't usually go "bad" unless they've rusted through. The links can go bad however. In this case sounds like someone trying to take you for a ride. If the bushings are bad you can measure the diameter of the sway bars and buy Prothane bushings to replace them. Inexpensive and will make a measurable difference in the ride and handling. Also easy to change out yourself (a couple of hours work even if you're old like me). :snoopy
Hmm, might be the links. I'd highly doubt that it rusted out. It's a shop i usually trust, but it wasn't the usual mechanic that took a look at it this time.

Are poly bushings that much better? Is the noise/squeaking I've heard about really that bad or not as noticeable as the internet says lol.

Do you have the track pack? If so, the sway bars are already GT500 pieces and probably not worth upgrading unless you want adjustable bars to fine tune cornering balance.
I picked up a used Steeda adjustable front bar and paired it with a stock GT500 rear bar and poly bushings. I have the front bar on the middle setting most of the time. Full stiff makes the car understeer more than I like.

I'm about 90% sure I don't have the track pack, but I'll double check.

DieHarder

Reaction score
Hmm, might be the links. I'd highly doubt that it rusted out. It's a shop i usually trust, but it wasn't the usual mechanic that took a look at it this time.

Are poly bushings that much better? Is the noise/squeaking I've heard about really that bad or not as noticeable as the internet says lol.

I'm about 90% sure I don't have the track pack, but I'll double check.

Poly bushings typically perform better than rubber resulting in sharper handling (provided the end links are good). As far as noise goes as long as you grease them with a high quality grease (which is usually provided with the bushings) I've not experienced any noise myself. Red bushings are a step up from rubber with black bushings normally being the hardest.

totaljustice

Reaction score
I just bought these from Rock Auto. The front set was 27.99 and the rear set was 37.00. They're from Energy Suspension and were high rated. And the price didn't break the bank. You would just have to find a way to press the old bushings out and the new ones in for the rear bar.

Screenshot_20240323_135944_Email.jpg

totaljustice

Reaction score
At least the 2010 and newer Performance Package has a 24mm rear sway bar. I imagine the 05 and later PP would have the same if the OP's car has that option. But Dieharder is right measure yours first.

yote0

Reaction score
There is no S197 Performance Package. That's an S550 thing. There was, however, a Track Pack available on the 2010 GT and the 2013/14 GT.

took it in for some PM work recently and the shop said that the front sway bar bushings are bad, and the rear sway bar itself is bad.

They may have told you that because Ford often sells the bar along with the bushings and links as an assembly, such as this one:

JC SSP

Reaction score
When replacing bushings, Always always measure your sway bars. They can very from different years, date of production and even different models.

totaljustice

Reaction score
There is no S197 Performance Package. That's an S550 thing. There was, however, a Track Pack available on the 2010 GT and the 2013/14 GT.

They may have told you that because Ford often sells the bar along with the bushings and links as an assembly, such as this one:

And if you don't believe me, look up 2012 equipment group 204A. It's on page 11 of the 2012 brochure and see attached MSRP Sticker!

Attachments

• 2012 Mustang MSRP Sticker.pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 2

yote0

Reaction score
I'm talking about the GT trim level cars, not the V6.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back