2011 5.0 engine replacement

Trbo6gn

forum member
Reaction score
Hell yeah. I took mine in to the dealership and told them of the "rattle noise" and they jumped right on it. Replaced my engine and even my transmission too.

r.barn

forum member
Reaction score
uh oh, I noticed a rattling noise coming from the front of the car at 2,100 rpm while cruising down the freeway. It just started too.

Sounds like rocks in a coke can down by passenger foot well.

What is this ?

SWST2008

Reaction score
my car has had this problem since i bought it in feb. they told me it was a factory defect in the block not allowing enough clearence for the pistons until the car warms ups... im just worried a engine replacement is gonna kill the resale value of my car

Swoope

Reaction score
my car has had this problem since i bought it in feb. they told me it was a factory defect in the block not allowing enough clearence for the pistons until the car warms ups... im just worried a engine replacement is gonna kill the resale value of my car

fail,

but i will play along.. so a car with a replaced motor has less resale value than a car with a blown motor?

beers

VTXFrank

Obama SUCKS!
Reaction score

That's some bullshit right there. But thanks for the laugh, troll.

BAKnBLK2010

Harley Davidson FLHTCI
Reaction score

What you are experiencing is called piston slap. Should only be happening on cold morning start ups with outside temps below about 40 degrees. Just let the car warm up to operating temp before you drive it on these type of mornings and you will be fine. My car does this also. A lot of people have complained about it but I haven't heard that Ford is offering new motors because of it, they are saying it is a normal condition.

tmcolegr

It's All About the Build
Reaction score
Has anyone had to have a engine replacement due to a grinding/ rattle noise at 2500 to 3000 rpm's?

Before everyone gets all sideways on this issue, there is a TSB out on piston rattle

As soon as I delete some of my other attachments I'll post the 3 other new TSBs that were released yesterday...

Edit: Done!!

Last edited:

KungFuHamster

forum member
Reaction score
What you are experiencing is called piston slap. Should only be happening on cold morning start ups with outside temps below about 40 degrees. Just let the car warm up to operating temp before you drive it on these type of mornings and you will be fine. My car does this also. A lot of people have complained about it but I haven't heard that Ford is offering new motors because of it, they are saying it is a normal condition.
LS1's had the piston slap issue when they first came out too. no biggies.

SWST2008

Reaction score
Loving it!!! My worries was that if I ever sell the car and I have to disclose that the engine was replaced at only 5000 miles most ppl are gonna think it was abused just because it being a sports car. And yes it does only make the noise when the motor is cold (cold or hot weather) and yes ford is replacing it due to the fact... not tryng to be rude but if I wanted to hear smartass remarks I have a husband that can give me that lol

Last edited:

KungFuHamster

forum member
Reaction score
Loving it!!! My worries was that if I ever sell the car and I have to disclose that the engine was replaced at only 5000 miles most ppl are gonna think it was abused just because it being a sports car. And yes it does only make the noise when the motor is cold (cold or hot weather) and yes ford is replacing it due the fact... not tryng to be rude but if I wanted hear smartass remarks I have a husband that can give me that lol
in my redneck hometown they call beating on a car "ragging it out".

when you modify it, they call it "souping it up".

i lol'd the last time i drove my car home and a dude told me my car was souped up.

SWST2008

Reaction score
Whats a good exhaust to put on my car? I currently have Borla (axleback) and it seems I have lost hp since the install. I was told the exhaust I have doesnt allow enough back pressure so im losing torque???

KungFuHamster

forum member
Reaction score
Whats a good exhaust to put on my car? I currently have Borla (axleback) and it seems I have lost hp since the install. I was told the exhaust I have doesnt allow enough back pressure so im losing torque???
that statement is incorrect.

BAKnBLK2010

Harley Davidson FLHTCI
Reaction score
Loving it!!! My worries was that if I ever sell the car and I have to disclose that the engine was replaced at only 5000 miles most ppl are gonna think it was abused just because it being a sports car. And yes it does only make the noise when the motor is cold (cold or hot weather) and yes ford is replacing it due to the fact... not tryng to be rude but if I wanted to hear smartass remarks I have a husband that can give me that lol

So who replied with a smartass remark? I just told you what was happening with your motor. Wasn't trying to be a smartass. :wtf:

GrabberBooGT

forum member
Reaction score

If you're getting a new motor because of the cold engine piston slap, buy your dealer a beer. Most everyone else has been shown the door . . . many getting the "normal operating characteristic" response. See here:

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/foru...1-mustang-5-0l-knocking-cold-start-drive.html

Last edited:

JerryC

Reaction score
Ok, so the answer to the "piston slap" noise is a flash of the PCM.

So how does that work??? Surely it cant be a "clearance" issue if a PCM flash fixes it.

Is the slap really detonation and the flash pulls timing or adds fuel?

If so, does that tie in with #8 going south?

sterlinggray11gt

Reaction score
5.0L—PISTON RATTLE IN COLD AMBIENT TSB 11-7-4
TEMPERATURES BELOW 10 DEGREES CELSIUS (50
DEGREES FAHRENHEIT)—BUILT ON OR AFTER
8/17/2010
FORD:
2011 Mustang
ISSUE WARRANTY STATUS: Eligible Under Provisions Of
Some 2011 Mustang vehicles equipped with a 5.0L New Vehicle Limited
engine and built on or after 8/17/2010 may exhibit a Warranty Coverage
piston rattle noise in cold ambient temperatures of IMPORTANT: Warranty
10 degrees Celsius (50 degrees Fahrenheit) and coverage limits/policies are
below. The noise normally occurs in the 2000-3500 not altered by a TSB.
RPM range and will decrease as engine Warranty coverage limits
temperature warms up. An update of the powertrain are determined by the
control module (PCM) calibration to reduce intensity identified causal part.
and duration of the noise is now available.
OPERATION DESCRIPTION TIME
ACTION 110704A 2011 Mustang: Reprogram 0.3 Hr.
Reprogram the PCM to the latest calibration using The PCM (Do Not Use
IDS release 73.04 or later. This new calibration is With Any Other Labor
not included in the VCM 2011.5 DVD. Calibration Operations)
files may also be obtained at Buy Motorcraft Parts Online | Official Motorcraft Auto Parts Site | FordParts.com. DEALER CODING
CONDITION
NOTE BASIC PART NO. CODE
PLEASE ADVISE THE CUSTOMER THAT THIS RECAL 04
VEHICLE IS EQUIPPED WITH AN ADAPTIVE
TRANSMISSION SHIFT STRATEGY WHICH
ALLOWS THE VEHICLE’S COMPUTER TO LEARN
THE TRANSMISSION’S UNIQUE PARAMETERS
AND IMPROVE SHIFT QUALITY. WHEN THE
ADAPTIVE STRATEGY IS RESET, THE
COMPUTER WILL BEGIN A RE-LEARNING
PROCESS. THIS RE-LEARNING PROCESS MAY
RESULT IN FIRMER THAN NORMAL UPSHIFTS
AND DOWNSHIFTS FOR SEVERAL DAYS.
NOTE: The information in Technical Service Bulletins is intended for use by trained, professional technicians with the knowledge, tools, and equipment to do
the job properly and safely. It informs these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or provides information that could assist in proper
vehicle service. The procedures should not be performed by “do-it-yourselfers”. Do not assume that a condition described affects your car or truck. Contact a
Ford or Lincoln dealership to determine whether the Bulletin applies to your vehicle. Warranty Policy and Extended Service Plan documentation determine
Warranty and/or Extended Service Plan coverage unless stated otherwise in the TSB article.The information in this Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) was
current at the time of printing. Ford Motor Company reserves the right to supercede this information with updates.The most recent information is available
through Ford Motor Company’s on-line technical resources.
Copyright ã 2011 Ford Motor Company Online Publication Date July 1, 2011 PAGE

Back