2011 gt Auto

Slayer7391

forum member
Reaction score
I have a concern with the auto in my car. I've taken it to the dealer a couple of time, and they tell its normal on these cars. What happens is when you are slowing down almost to a stop and the trans down shifts from second to first you can feel the shift like thump. If you accelerate at the point of the shift there is a void until it completes the shift.
Has anyone with an auto felt this, and if so has the dealer found a solution.

I bought an intake an tuner form steeda, and install the set this weekend thinking the programming of the computer would fix it, and the thump noise is actually worse. Now it makes a loud clunk noise, and it doesnt do it all of the time.

Could this be the torque converter shaft or maybe a part in the trans thats not working correctly.

BAKnBLK2010

Harley Davidson FLHTCI
Reaction score
My wife's Explorer Sport Trac Adrenaline has the same tranny as the 2011 GT's and it does the same thing. We asked the dealer also and they said it's a normal operating condition with no computer updates available. It's done it since new and now has about 23,000 miles with no other problems.

KungFuHamster

forum member
Reaction score
My wife's Explorer Sport Trac Adrenaline has the same tranny as the 2011 GT's and it does the same thing. We asked the dealer also and they said it's a normal operating condition with no computer updates available. It's done it since new and now has about 23,000 miles with no other problems.
ditto. my wife has a 2010 F-150 and her transmission does the same thing.

Bnjf

Reaction score
2010 F-150 here. Same clunk. It's annoying in stop and go traffic. I'm pretty sure it's normal.

KJGT

forum member
Reaction score
with a 4.17 first gear in the trans you are going to know when it shifts into 1st if the car is moving.

Bodam

forum member
Reaction score
hmm, now I need to pay attention to mine. I don't remember any of this...

KJGT

forum member
Reaction score
Mine did it until I put a new converter in it. Then it went away.

Stall converter is pretty well uncoupled at low RPM compared to the stock converter so that makes perfect sense.

When I put the one piece driveshaft in I noticed it more :)

orgchem

Reaction score
Mine does exactly what you describe. I was worried about it initially, so I brought it to one dealer who told me Ford told him it had to do with the 'adaptive transmission' and to wait 15,000 miles lol. Didn't buy that, so I brought it to another dealer who flashed an updated calibration to my PCM (based on a TSB which doesn't explicitly mention the 2->1 clunk). That didn't fix it.

After realizing how many other people who have autos have the same characteristic, I'm just not worried about it anymore. I thought it was only my car and that it might be a sign of a problem; until I found these threads where tons of people with autos are driving the same way. Guess it's just a characteristic of this trans.

09 Ricky

forum member
Reaction score
with a 4.17 first gear in the trans you are going to know when it shifts into 1st if the car is moving.

X2.....on the 2011's there is a tsb/reprogram to not make it as harsh. My 2012 is smooth as glass at the moment. I can defiently tell when its rolling and down shifting to first but it doesn't clunk or feel like it has slack. But with such a steep first gear it's to be pretty normal, won't hurt a thing. They also have the same tsb for the f150's. I wouldn't worry about it. The tsb could fix it or make it worse......I don't know for sure.

Last edited:

orgchem

Reaction score
X2.....on the 2011's there is a tsb/reprogram to not make it as harsh. My 2012 is smooth as glass at the moment. I can defiently tell when its rolling and down shifting to first but it doesn't clunk or feel like it has slack. But with such a steep first gear it's to be pretty normal, won't hurt a thing. They also have the same tsb for the f150's. I wouldn't worry about it. The tsb could fix it or make it worse......I don't know for sure.

Do you know the TSB number for that?

Bryan

forum member
Reaction score
Ive never noticed my 2011 auto doing this, now that everyone else mentions it, maybe i need to pay more attention to the trans?

I do know that if i let the car sit for say.... a week.... and start the car, put it into gear, it takes awhile for the transmission line pressure to come up.

One time i started it up and immediately put it into reverse, acted like it was starving for fluid... So now i start it, let it idle down, then put it into gear and make sure its good to go...

Our nissan warehouse forklifts and toyota forklifts do the same thing since new and they are about 5 years old now with zero issues.

Anyone elses trans shift kinda lazy? Everyone who drives my car says it shifts too soft, i love how nice and soft it shifts when normal driving, shifts firmer at WOT

Later

Mishri

forum member
Reaction score
I noticed thunks with downshifts on every automatic i've owned. these aren't 90,000 luxury cars that you expect perfectly smooth/quiet operation on. nothing is breaking because of it.

KJGT

forum member
Reaction score
Ive never noticed my 2011 auto doing this, now that everyone else mentions it, maybe i need to pay more attention to the trans?

I do know that if i let the car sit for say.... a week.... and start the car, put it into gear, it takes awhile for the transmission line pressure to come up.

One time i started it up and immediately put it into reverse, acted like it was starving for fluid... So now i start it, let it idle down, then put it into gear and make sure its good to go...

Our nissan warehouse forklifts and toyota forklifts do the same thing since new and they are about 5 years old now with zero issues.

Anyone elses trans shift kinda lazy? Everyone who drives my car says it shifts too soft, i love how nice and soft it shifts when normal driving, shifts firmer at WOT

Later

Its supposed to shift soft at part throttle and firmer at high load, that a good thing about computer controlled automatics that use PWM to regulate pressures.

I never noticed any hesitation putting it reverse after a colt start, the trans may have something in the logic that wont let it go into gear quick at fast idle (to avoid neutral drops :) ). I would maybe have the trans fluid checked though.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back