2011 shifter from mgw close to completion...some specs and info>>

Modshack

forum member
Reaction score
i actually am finished my design now and testing . i will hopefully be ready to ship units end of january.

george

Excellent George! I enjoyed your shifter in my '08 Vette with the 6060. I've been waiting for you to bring this to market...

For those who don't know MGW, George went through several designs on the 6060 shifter and went out of his way to modify and redesign to satisfy his customers when minor issues arose (for some)...Even to the point of replacing his original design with the newer one to keep everyone happy. Exceptional customer service and follow-up is the norm with him.

His latest 6060 design here:
IMG_4739-vi.jpg

ViciousJay

forum member
Reaction score
nice piece there but ill wait to drive someones car with it before purchase. for some reasont he stocker feels short enough to me, if anything id like the the handle a bit longer

ArizonaGT

Road Course Member
Reaction score
I am definitely interested in a longer handle.

And +1 on MGW customer service...George and his team will be there for you should you ever need them.

S

Steedagus

Awesome! Finally, some news on the MGW shifter for my 2011 Mustang!

So, will the MGW shifter eliminate the god awful 1-2 shift I often experience? The only way I've found to eliminate it thus far is to almost floor the accelerator when taking off from a complete stop. This shouldn't be necessary in a brand-new car, IMO. In fact, it's my only complaint with my 2011 Mustang GT.

The 1-2 shift problems are normally the skip shift function. If you fight it when its activated it will seem like you have having transmission problems.

I've talked to quite a few customers who are not aware of the skip shift function which forces you to go from 1st to 4th for fuel economy reasons.

A shifter is not going to fix that. But you can eliminate it through SCT tuning.

RectalRampage

forum member
Reaction score
from my sources i have been told it is VERY close to the
6MTI520 TRANSMISSION

HERE ARE THE SPECS ON THE TRANSMISSION...

Max. Torque Capacity 520 Nm Weight (dry) 53 kg Installation length 682 mm Synchronization 1st and 2nd gear triple cone 3rd and 4th gear dual cone 5th and 6th gear single cone Reverse gear single cone.

all i can tell you is that i have put about 10000 miles on this transmission using the stock unit for about 3000...and about 10 different designs of throw and pivot mechanisms for the other 7k plus.

the shifter WILL grind second gear ( sometimes 3rd) if the throw is too short. i have been driving manuals and road racing everything from lotuses, vipers, corvettes, porsche gt3's etc. for over 20 years and i design ALL the shifters MGW makes personally and i am just telling you what i have personally found to be the case.

the Tremec is not immune to these issues either esp in the tr6060 6 speed. but that is why we never go over 33 percent reduction in our fixed throw designs. you just cant go too short without issues popping up.

has it failed internally on me...NO!! but i consider grinding gears on a constant basis a def. design failure.

george

Thanks for your input George, it is most appreciated.

We will have to watch the comments/end user feedback on all these shifters exceeding 20% throw reduction and see what other people experience.

So far I haven't heard anyone bitch about the Barton shifters and grinding issues, and I think hurst shifters are well over 20% reduction as well.

I definitely wont make my short shifter purchase decision until after your product comes to market.

id like to see what you come up with

jmatero

Reaction score
I hate to tell you all but there are issues being reported everywhere with 1-2 and 2-3 grinding that is not related to the skip-shift. They replaced my flywheel and entire clutch assembly first. Nothing. Now, Ford is using me as a "test" and asked my dealer to add friction modifier to the tranny fluid. It COMPLETELY smoothed out the tranny. Of course the clutch is still terrible... Almost impossible to launch in first without the car bucking... Which Ford claims is "normal".

hireman

forum member
Reaction score
I hate to tell you all but there are issues being reported everywhere with 1-2 and 2-3 grinding that is not related to the skip-shift. They replaced my flywheel and entire clutch assembly first. Nothing. Now, Ford is using me as a "test" and asked my dealer to add friction modifier to the tranny fluid. It COMPLETELY smoothed out the tranny. Of course the clutch is still terrible... Almost impossible to launch in first without the car bucking... Which Ford claims is "normal".

Thanks for the info. Mines been getting harder w/the colder weather to but my dealer wont put it in even of I pay for it. Could you email me privately@ [email protected] and give me the dealers name and number and your service advisors name who had his done for you?
Thanks!!

RectalRampage

forum member
Reaction score

I do see threads popping up, but they are certainly not everyone.

I think this issue stems from the clutch pressure plate bolts backing out.

Its very easy to cause permanent damage to the transmission if you drive the car like that.

Replacing the clutch assembly after the bolts backed out wont do you any good if the damage is already done to the transmission as a result....

If I noticed odd shifting id immediately stop driving the car and have it looked at or replace the clutch myself with an aftermarket assembly.

Hard shifting when its cold out is very normal, it takes a while for oil in the gear box to heat up so be easy with it until it does.

After you have been driving the car for a bit and the fluid has warmed up, it should get better.

Last edited:

jmatero

Reaction score
While there are some people with the pressure plate bolt issue, they now appear to be the minority. I referred 5 owners in San Jose to my dealer. (Thats six of us in one city ALONE). NONE of us had bolts that backed out. Ford is still determining how to address this because the others had no work done to their cars... And Ford told the dealer NOT to add the friction modifier anymore because they don't know what the long-term affects will be on the tranny... Which makes me feel great about being their guinea pig.

Read the transmission sticky and the clutch sticky:

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/foru...anual-transmission-rough-shifting-thread.html

J.Kidd

forum member
Reaction score
And Ford told the dealer NOT to add the friction modifier anymore because they don't know what the long-term affects will be on the tranny.

That was my initial reaction when I heard that they added that and it helped - I was concerned about the longer-term effects (ie. if the modifier would cause the synchros to wear faster/improperly, if it would chemically effect other internal parts of the transmission, if it would lead to other issues, etc.). I know certain manufacturers require certain types of transmission fluid based on those concerns (ie. Tremec requiring GM Syncrhomesh).

I really hope they get this ironed out for you guys experiencing this problem. Gotta be VERY frustrating.

ViciousJay

forum member
Reaction score
If you need someone to beta test your shifter early and write a response to it i have money in hand

Gray Ghost GT

Road Racing Fanatic!
Reaction score
There is NO better shifter than the MGW! I use the MGW in both my '04 Corvette and '09 Mustang GT - perfect! You can count on George to get it right and it will be worth the wait for the '11.

MGW

Official Vendor
Reaction score
anxiously awaiting news of when this will be available..... I can't stand the oem shift quality

been in the car for over a month testing. All is good .just making some final thoughts on throw and tweaks. Hoping to start produciton early feb for end of feb release.

George

spsteevoe

Reaction score
been in the car for over a month testing. All is good .just making some final thoughts on throw and tweaks. Hoping to start produciton early feb for end of feb release.

George

Awesome news! Definately glad i held off on buying earlier on..... I almost went with a barton -which from what i can tell they seem to have come up with similar design theories. I wasn't to thrilled about having to pay separately for the beefed-up shift bracket though.:wtf:

pdmusgt

forum member
Reaction score
I was almost thinking about buying Barton shifter. I see they now have rear support bracket another 30.00 bucks. I talked to Goerge 2 weeks ago about T5 shifter and then 2011 GT shifter. They are replacing the box not just the top part. I'm going to wait for MGW shifter

Full_Tilt

forum member
Reaction score
This is pretty exciting.
Ive noticed the issues with deflection, and difficult shifting quickly with the engine heavily loaded. I was thinking the only thing to do would be to get stiffer motor mounts and some kind of transmission brace.

But hopefully this will do the job!

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back