2011 shifter from mgw close to completion...some specs and info>>

Wingspan

forum member
Reaction score
I ordered mine a week ago and was told mid Jan, don't mind the wait. I was wondering if you have a 401a pkg that comes with the chrome shift ball and want to use the mgw ball and jam nut it looks like the grommet is not needed due to the shift boot hole being smaller. Does anyone know if the shifter comes with something to make the install on that shift boot look factory clean ? I can't seem to find a pic with that boot.

Thanks

I have the 401a interior in my GT. No worries:

MGW-022-L.jpg

Mac1

Reaction score
Thanks a lot Wingspan !!!

That looks great!!! I appreciate the picture, I'm looking forward to getting mine soon !!

Lewis26

Reaction score
Looks like mine didn't ship yesterday. :(

Can't wait to get mine and install.

Lewis26

Reaction score
Received and installed mine today.

It's awesome. Just a fantastic feeling shifter.

I did notice a bit more NVH and gear whine but the shift action is incredible.

fastandcurious

Reaction score
Received and installed mine today.

It's awesome. Just a fantastic feeling shifter.

I did notice a bit more NVH and gear whine but the shift action is incredible.

Is that extra NVH with the heat shield or without?

I've had mine in the box for too log now, been waiting on a friend to give me a hand. Is this install something you guys are tackling solo?

LindsayEOD

forum member
Reaction score

I've had mine in the box for too log now, been waiting on a friend to give me a hand. Is this install something you guys are tackling solo?
I just intstalled mine about 2 weeks ago. I included the heat shield and the extra NVH is VERY minimal IMO. I have the Roush AB's and I can barely tell it is there, and that is only when Im listening for it. As far as the install, the videos on MGW website are a must to watch. I would recommend a lift but if you have a jack and stands, shouldnt be an issue. If you have never installed one, like me, I would seriously watch the videos a couple of times before attempting it. It is a fantastic, well made, item.

Lewis26

Reaction score

Without the heat shield. I just didn't think it was necessary for me n

I installed solo, because my one buddy who helps me out with everything is out of town. It's not a horrible job,Vbut does take some time. I was also pretty familiar with what is down there from installing and removing the Barton shifter I owned before.

I'm gonna add some more dynomat to try and shield from the gear noise a bit more.

way2qk4u2c

forum member
Reaction score
MGW does a fantastic job buidling these shifters. Im glad you love it mike- worth every penny for sure.

Jsarms1

Reaction score
Got on the list today and ship early Feb, George, any hints or pics on the new race knob? Don't want to spend the money on a nice shift ball just to replace it in a month or two.

JAJ

forum member
Reaction score

I did mine solo. No problem.

The NVH question is an interesting one. I had what I felt was considerable NVH with mine (with the heat shield) and now I have virtually (if not actually) none. I slid under the car this afternoon with about a square foot of Dynamat and a pair of scissors. Next thing I knew "There it was - gone!"

fastandcurious

Reaction score
Guys, another quick question about installing. I'm a bit weary of putting my car on 4 jack stands. I have Race Ramps that allow me to easily raise either the front or rear 8". My question is, the instructions state to have the car on level ground. Is this absolutely necessary for this install? I ask because if I raise the front of my car with ramps I believe I have enough room to reach the bolts underneath and complete the install. Can anyone offer any advice on this? Thanks!!

Wingspan

forum member
Reaction score
Guys, another quick question about installing. I'm a bit weary of putting my car on 4 jack stands. I have Race Ramps that allow me to easily raise either the front or rear 8". My question is, the instructions state to have the car on level ground. Is this absolutely necessary for this install? I ask because if I raise the front of my car with ramps I believe I have enough room to reach the bolts underneath and complete the install. Can anyone offer any advice on this? Thanks!!

I installed my shifter with the car on a set of Race Ramps. Make absolutely certain that the car is chocked and the parking brake set so there's no chance the car can move and you should be fine.

yellowrubiu

Reaction score
I installed my shifter with the car on a set of Race Ramps. Make absolutely certain that the car is chocked and the parking brake set so there's no chance the car can move and you should be fine.

x2... I did my install on race ramps as well. I raised the front.

JAJ

forum member
Reaction score
And don't forget to rub that Manniglas heat shield pad all over your face, neck, arms and chest before you install it. It'll feel wonderful when the incredible itching stops after a few days.

Actually, unless you're really a masochist, wear gloves, long sleeves and eye protection when handling the Manniglas. It's brutal!

yellowrubiu

Reaction score
And don't forget to rub that Manniglas heat shield pad all over your face, neck, arms and chest before you install it. It'll feel wonderful when the incredible itching stops after a few days.

^ :roflmao:

I believe the latest version of the boot is much softer and should be much easier to install.

stepqhen

forum member
Reaction score
I just spoke to MGW yesterday and added the heat shield to my order. My girlfriend ordered mine a couple of weeks before Christmas and they said it should ship next week.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back