2012 5.0 Caught on fire last night? Wtf?

firestang70

SW Ohio Ninja
Reaction score
I have been a fire investigator for many years. Unfortunately there are not enough photos for me to be able to pinpoint a general area where it started. What was the weather like that night? The windows all the way up? Was there any other criminal activity in that area for the past couple days. Was there any evidence of accelerants found?
I have not heard of anything on the radar yet with 5.0 fire issues. Late 90s early 2000s Fords had a major issue with the cruise control. Sorry about your misfortune.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
settle down now gentlemen.

FivePointOh

forum member
Reaction score
I have been a fire investigator for many years. Unfortunately there are not enough photos for me to be able to pinpoint a general area where it started. What was the weather like that night? The windows all the way up? Was there any other criminal activity in that area for the past couple days. Was there any evidence of accelerants found?
I have not heard of anything on the radar yet with 5.0 fire issues. Late 90s early 2000s Fords had a major issue with the cruise control. Sorry about your misfortune.

Weather was around 75F, a tad cloudy. The windows were both up, no criminal activity in the area for the pas couple of days. No evidence of accelerants founds as of now.

Last edited by a moderator:

shad2009

forum member
Reaction score
sry to hear about your loss man...i hate reading about stuff like this...i hope they find out what's wrong and things go in your favor

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Wow, that's really sad to hear. Please let us know if it is some sort of manufacturing defect, though. I don't want my car to go all Mahayana Buddhist Monk and set itself on fire.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Last time I'm going to ask to back down on the rehtoric.

06TORCHEDGT

forum member
Reaction score
Working as a firefighter for several years I have seen a boatload of car fires. 95% of them started in the engine compartment and take a pretty decent amount of time to spread into the passenger compartment. From the looks of it, your engine compartment didn't burn for a considerable amount of time.

Your front tires aren't blown (at least from the looks of it), bumper is in tact, etc. Tires typically go quickly and it looks as if the passenger compartment burned for a really long time. Sorry for the loss and the other complications of insurance, but I would certainly make sure to follow up with the fire department to ensure you get an idea of why it started- looks like vandalism to me, which unfortunately isn't great news.

Im also a firefighter and was also thinking the same thing. Passenger area has significantly more flame damage and heat damage on the paint in that area. Also as said above the engine compartment doesnt appear to have as much heat damage as the bumper and headlights are still intact. Those parts go easily with a little bit of heat. Hope everything works out for you!

YerBuddy

forum member
Reaction score
I bet you sit four rows back in a stadium and yell such game winning tips such as: "Catch the ball", "Run faster", "Score a touchdown".....

...at a baseball game. :naughty1:

This thread is exactly what I needed to read this morning. Holy shit! I feel your pain FivePointOh...keep your chin up and drive on. That's all you can do at this point. I'm interested in the findings.

I hope it all works out in the end. Concentrate on Med School...

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Cars just don't catch on fire sitting in a parking lot off.

Yes they do. Ford trucks had a big recall a few years back for a wire that could short out and send the whole truck up in flames.

I think Jeep had a similar problem.

Sorry to hear about your car. Looked real nice., It will be investigated by the fire and police and the insurance company.

So the 5.0's have the #8 "issue" and now they spontaneously combust too?!?!?! j/k

or Man I knew the 5.0's were hot, but this is a whole new level.

VTXFrank

Obama SUCKS!
Reaction score
I live in Florida.

Where in Florida? I'm near PCB. I'm no expert fire investigator, but I've worked on a ton of BDAR's, Battle Damage Assessment Reports, for Army aviation. My thoughts wouldn't mean a thing in court, but I'd love to see it and give my impressions.

Last edited by a moderator:

gil_t2

Love Nitro in the Morning
Reaction score
This spontaneous combustion is nothing new. Cars ( all makes ) burn everyday, most are being driven at the time, or with in say an hour after being parked. I was in the fire dept for 12 years, and saw it all the time.

RED09GT

Equal Opportunity Offender
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Another thing to look into if it is ruled as arson is whether your local police has a victim's services program of any kind. It might be a bit of a stretch but as a student, this is definitely putting you in a situation of financial hardship.

BTW, I forgot that my storage policy on my car expired at the end of April, this thread reminded me to renew my storage policy.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
thread cleaned up - let's keep it on topic please

Back