2012 paint defects

tagle281

forum member
Reaction score
Anyone have any problems with paint defects near the front of the hood and near the edge on the underside of the hood? I'm not able to post pics but it looks like rust is growing under the paint. How can this be if the hood is aluminum? Anyway I took it to the dealer and they took pics to send to Ford. Also there are hairline craks in the paint near the small side window. Advisor said they were scratches but they are not. The cracks go behind the glass. Anyway just seeing if anyone else has had this problem?

AnotherS197GT

Serial Valve Dropper
Reaction score
The bubbling was common on 05-09s, but I've never heard of it on 2010+. Sounds like contaminated metal from the factory.

squidzx6

forum member
Reaction score
interesting first of YES....my detailer pointed out to me it was overspray when they repainted my front bumper "shitty job" some of it is on the passenger front fender..... only not smooth part of the car....

NickSezz

NJSEOS
Reaction score
My 2012 has paint imperfections all over it. If this was more expensive of a car I would care more...

What you are describing seems similar to the issue 05-09 cars had with the aluminum hood corroding from under the paint. If it is bad enough, take the car back.

squidzx6

forum member
Reaction score
My 2012 has paint imperfections all over it. If this was more expensive of a car I would care more...

What you are describing seems similar to the issue 05-09 cars had with the aluminum hood corroding from under the paint. If it is bad enough, take the car back.

Exactly how i feel about it

tagle281

forum member
Reaction score
It is bad enough and I did take it back. Its a new car and regardless if its not a more expensive car. The point is it shouldn't have it.

BAKnBLK2010

Harley Davidson FLHTCI
Reaction score
On my 2012 PW car the bumpers both front and back are a different color white. They almost have a slight yellow tint to them. I'm not going to take it back to the dealer because I don't want any paintwork on the car and they would probably make it worse than it is now.

Xorak

forum member
Reaction score
On my 2012 PW car the bumpers both front and back are a different color white. They almost have a slight yellow tint to them. I'm not going to take it back to the dealer because I don't want any paintwork on the car and they would probably make it worse than it is now.

that's normal though. plastic painted bumper covers will never match painted metal 100%.

Thereaper

forum member
Reaction score
Anyone have any problems with paint defects near the front of the hood and near the edge on the underside of the hood? I'm not able to post pics but it looks like rust is growing under the paint. How can this be if the hood is aluminum? Anyway I took it to the dealer and they took pics to send to Ford. Also there are hairline craks in the paint near the small side window. Advisor said they were scratches but they are not. The cracks go behind the glass. Anyway just seeing if anyone else has had this problem?

My 07 GT had this problem and Ford gave me a new hood after they couldn't fix the original.

cody2639

forum member
Reaction score
I had the same problem with my 2010. The paint had trouble sticking to the whole car. The aluminum hood did what you described. The bubbling paint was due to the aluminum hood corroding under the paint. I was told that this was due to contaminates getting between the paint and the hood before/during painting. Basically a QC problem. I also had a problem with paint on the fender doing the same.

2012-05-10065342.jpg

2012-05-10065620.jpg

2012-05-10065631.jpg

Hard to tell in this one but there is a small spot on the fender that got bigger overtime
2012-05-10065414.jpg

AnotherS197GT

Serial Valve Dropper
Reaction score
It boggles my mind that Ford is still having this problem for so long. The S197 platform has been out since freakin 2004 and they still can't keep their metal clean.

tagle281

forum member
Reaction score
Mine looks like that but not as bad. Although I'm sure in time it would get just as bad. The rest of the car looks fine. Now I just hope when they fix it, they do it right the first time.

Last edited:

Renesis07

forum member
Reaction score
Jeez yours looks worse than mine! Very common on our cars, take it to Ford if you're still under warranty and they should fix it for you.

EDIT: I was referring to the silver S197 that someone posted.

tagle281

forum member
Reaction score
Just an update. Fords gonna repaint the hood under warranty. They declined the qrtr window cracks for now but once it gets in the body shop I'm gonna look deeper. Anyone out there have what look like fine cracks around the smalll windows? I will try to get pics but being that the car is black, its hard to see in pics.

tagle281

forum member
Reaction score
Well here we are 8 months later and the underside of the hood is corroding again. Gonna take it back and try to get a new hood. Im getting frustrated with this car. It may be time to trade it in.

limetym

forum member
Reaction score
had that on my 11. got it painted under warranty by ford. i would get it done before the warranty runs out. It is just corrosion on the alluminum from where it wasnt cleaned good before paint

tagle281

forum member
Reaction score
Yeah I've taken in it already once before and had it repainted so I'm aware of what caused it. Obviously they didn't do a good job getting rid of what caused it.

Last edited:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back