2013 5.0 Guys - Heads-up on Upcoming Update

marcspaz

~Resigned~
Reaction score
This only applies to 2013 Mustang GT's with a manual transmission built on or before 11/30/2012. Cars with the 5.0 from the 2012 model year or older, 2013's with auto trans or other models (Mustang V6, Boss, GT500, etc.) are NOT affected.

Once my car got to about 1000 miles, it seemed like something went wrong with the car. It seem like a plug went bad or a COP was acting funny. The car lost a little torque. It was very subtle, but noticeable enough that I felt it. I also noticed that at near or at WOT, the car sounds and feels like it skips or misfires. I was thinking it was tune related because when the outside temp is in the 30's and 40's it feels really strong, but if it is 70+ like today, the car is just not right.

So tonight I talked to a friend of mine who runs the service department of a local dealership. I asked him if his guys would take a legit look at it or would they tell me something like a hardly noticeable change in feel would be to hard to troubleshoot; and send me on my way. He advised my that this is a known issue for 2013 Mustang GT's with a manual transmission. Ford is working on releasing an update for the computer in two to three weeks along with a TSB. His dealership is piloting the fix with a known user pool. He asked that I sit tight for about a month, as re-flashing the car doesn't fix the problem long-term.

Not every 2013 Mustang GT's with a manual transmission has this problem, but if you are experiencing this problem you're not crazy, imagining things, or having problems with unreliable fuel. It's legit. Give it about a month, then talk to your local dealer.

Last edited:

dineau

Reaction score
Interesting information, keep us updated about the TSB.

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Why can't Ford get the stick shift 5.0 Mustangs right?

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
How do you have a problem with a later made car but not the previous one, you figure the bugs would be in older versions of the car lol.

marcspaz

~Resigned~
Reaction score
I know right? LOL Got to love this crap. Oh well. As long as they fix it for free along with anything else affected by it, that all I care about.

OkieSnuffBox

forum member
Reaction score
How do you have a problem with a later made car but not the previous one, you figure the bugs would be in older versions of the car lol.

Software is a bear.

Changes/updates often have unintended consequences that can't be tested for until it's in real world use.

marcspaz

~Resigned~
Reaction score
Yea, the test pool for this fix is supposed to drive for 2000 miles to confirm the problem is resolved.

1950StangJump$

forum member
Reaction score
No offense, OP, but I'll believe it when I see it.

I've had my 2011 since May 2010 -- there were rumors about upcoming TSBs for every problem imaginable. Many of the promises for upcoming TSBs came straight from dealers, but never materialized.

Your source might mean well and, perhaps, he is right about the TSB. Other cases, I suspect the dealer sends folks home with future TSB promises to get them out of their hair.

Other times, I believe that TSBs are considered by Ford but never make it to the customers for any number of reasons.

Again, I write this for conversation, not to try and dick with your thread.

Last edited:

marcspaz

~Resigned~
Reaction score
The service manager and I have been friends for more than 6 years. I doubt he would BS me because he doesn't want to deal with me. Especially since that is what the topic of my conversation with him was about as it relates to his techs.

With that being said, I fully agree that although it seems like there may be something developing out of a known issue, it is very possible that Ford doesn't do or release anything official.

I'll let you guys know what my experience is once we get to that 3-4 week threshold.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back