2013 GT Clutch Issues

iceguyb14

Mustang Fanatic
Reaction score
I've noticed a few times my 2013 GT after some hard driving the pedal doesn't feel as "stiff" as before and it takes a little pumping/driving to get it to feel like normal. Also, last night at the track I had that issue and one run I had the clutch get stuck close to the floor after some hard driving. I had to pull it back up to the regular position for it to return. It's my understanding some 2011s had this and ford issued a TSB to solve the problem, but if that's the case, shouldn't my 2013 not have those same problems? Any ideas? The car is able to shift fine and the clutch doesn't slip or anything. Just these are the only issues.

I'll likely be going to the dealership soon if it continues to happen.

onebadgsx

Reaction score
i believe it is the hydraulic clutch line getting to hot. my 2012 had the same issuses but i since changed the line out to a jpc stainless and wrapped it in heat tape < very important. i also pulled all the old fluid out and run the motul dot 4 factory fluid which has a boiling temp about 100 degrees higher than the standard dot 4. no probs. since....

iceguyb14

Mustang Fanatic
Reaction score
i believe it is the hydraulic clutch line getting to hot. my 2012 had the same issuses but i since changed the line out to a jpc stainless and wrapped it in heat tape < very important. i also pulled all the old fluid out and run the motul dot 4 factory fluid which has a boiling temp about 100 degrees higher than the standard dot 4. no probs. since....

Hmmm good to know!

Godzirra

Asian Idiot
Reaction score

+1 I'm pretty sure this is the culprit to my clutch starting to prematurely slip and go bad. About to replace the whole deal

brushmore

Reaction score
I have experienced the clutch pedal not feeling as stiff on occasion with my 2012. But no ill affects with shifting or clutch engagement. I think there are three causes for this. First is the pedal design but that may only be an issue with early models. The clutch plate coming loose and the clutch line issues just like onebadgsx described. I think that's my issue since it has only happened twice.

2011BaseGT

forum member
Reaction score
The stock clutch line is notoriously too small and restrictive. It tends to cause clutch sticking and weirdness at high rpms.

The fix is the JHR high volume clutch line - or take it to the dealer - the latter, the dealer will just tell you you're crazy - so if they do, then go with the JHR clutch line - improves shift feel and action significantly.

Here's a whole thread on it and a Youtube vid showing the stock line.

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/foru...eck-racing-stainless-braided-clutch-line.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_5U1j-gXGc

larry03gt

forum member
Reaction score
The stock clutch line is notoriously too small and restrictive. It tends to cause clutch sticking and weirdness at high rpms.

The fix is the JHR high volume clutch line - or take it to the dealer - the latter, the dealer will just tell you you're crazy - so if they do, then go with the JHR clutch line - improves shift feel and action significantly.

Here's a whole thread on it and a Youtube vid showing the stock line.

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/foru...eck-racing-stainless-braided-clutch-line.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_5U1j-gXGc

Good info thanks!!
My car is doing this and now with the SC it's more noticeable. and now I have a fix for it.

trakhoar

forum member
Reaction score
Had the same thing happen to my 2012 last night, did a quick WOT rip, shifted, and the pedal stuck to the floor and the brakes got mushy. Had to pump the clutch 10-15 times for it to return to its original position on its own

1950StangJump$

forum member
Reaction score
It's really sad that Ford developed a car that can't make WOT runs when stock without having issues.

WytHorse

forum member
Reaction score
I have experienced this on my 2012.... First time I realized it was a real problem was at the drag strip...once it revved up and I shifted into 3rd, the entire clutch travel was in about the bottom 10% of the usual travel. The pedal still came all the way up, but the top 90% did nothing... Interestingly enough I also experienced no slipping. I get this all the time now when I rev past 5K and want to shift. Up until now my thought was the clutch springs staying out at high rpm...but I wonder if this is it... I think I'm going to get this line, and braided brake lines and change out the fluid... keep ya posted when I do.

ZXMustang

5.0 4V Owner
Reaction score
This crap was happening to me at the track last weekend too. At the track, I added and pumped through 2 quarts of dot4 sync fluid and no change. I removed the helper spring, and still no change. Clutch still sticking to the floor on fast shifts near redline. That clutch line is my last effort before I just buy another clutch. This sucks. My car went 12.1@117 with only tune and offroad H and DRs. Should have been 11's because I had to short shift.

WytHorse

forum member
Reaction score
I did some experimental driving while I was heading in to work this morning....it seems that part of my problem might be a clutch stay-out problem in addition to what I wrote earlier.... like I would speed up to about 5k rpm in a gear, let it coast at that rpm for a sec, and then try to shift gears and noticed that my clutch would feel like I explained earlier.

Question for the OP: Does this happen to you as well?

iceguyb14

Mustang Fanatic
Reaction score
^you mean let it coast in gear?

i haven't really experienced much of a problem since i originally posted. i am going to the track tonight though, so if its going to act up, it will tonight.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back