2013 oil pump....billet back plate

hamish

forum member
Reaction score
So do you think that I should just keep the '13 spring in the pump or swap in the 3v spring?

If you decide to swap the springs I could use the GT500 one if you can spare it.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
Bumping this one up due to an upcoming build.

I've always ran a stock 3v pump. I felt that it would hold up provided I kept factory clearances, used a good balancer, and used 5w-20. So far it has done just fine on a few different motors and power adder combos. However, I like the idea of the stronger back plate "just in case" and am contemplating a 2013 pump.

I have a few questions and concerns. Maybe someone will have experience and answers or an informed opinion.

1. Do the 2013 gears flow the same amount of oil (are they the same exact design) as 3v gears with a 3v pressure relief spring installed?

2. Flow and pressure are inverses of each other after a certain point when flowed through a fixed point, much like voltage and amperage parameters through the same resistance. Would there be danger of starving the rear bearings and top end with too much pressure due to restricted flow and reduced volume from pressure that's too high? I plan on keeping stock clearances on the new motor. My vct will be active.

As I type this I realize that the GT500 has just as tight of clearances as a 3v according to the shop manuals. The only variable left is the size and design of the oil passages in the blocks. This also brings up another concern, what is the big bore boss block designed around internally? Will oil flow the same or are the oil passages different sizes than a 3v block?

At this point I think I'll just order the 2013 pump and go from there. I'll take it apart and "blueprint" it. At that time I'll make the comparisons.

With all that said I'd still like to know how well the pump is working for those who have used it.

one eyed willy

Pizzle fo shizzle
Reaction score
Mine is doing great. I put my 3V TSS gears into the 2013 housing and left the 2013 spring and relief in the housing.

There is another thread somewhere on here, the springs are different, I never took mine apart other than the gears so I never measured them.

I think my oil pressure runs about 10 psi higher than my 3V pump

krang00

forum member
Reaction score
Sorry to dig up an old thread but I'm wondering what you guys with oil fed turbo's ended up doing with the springs. I'm ordering this pump with the billet backplate but not sure if I need/should swap the guts of my 3V pump into it or keep it as-is give the higher PSI.

DiMora

More Is Better
Reaction score
Subscribing...doing the same but need to know what spring is best. Wondering if the +10 oil PSI one-eyed Willy reports is a good or bad thing. Using 13 pump + TSS billet gears.

jodadejss06gt

TEAM DELETE SHIT
Reaction score
I haven't had any real issues running stock 3v spring on gt500 pump on my Precision Oil Fed 76. Put about 2k miles through it.

drive_55_not

forum member
Reaction score
Subscribing...doing the same but need to know what spring is best. Wondering if the +10 oil PSI one-eyed Willy reports is a good or bad thing. Using 13 pump + TSS billet gears.

I installed the 13' GT500 pump and saw some crazy high [IMVHO] oil pressure, 100+psi cold start, 80+ cruising down the highway an increased oil use. I was losing a quart every 250miles ..

I pulled the pump and swapped the spring and the oil pressure dropped back to previous 'normal' 80psi cold start, 50 cruising and back to normal oil loss for my setup, bout a pint a week...

Ford uses a longer spring on the 13' pump and I'm not sure how long it's supposed to be but the difference between the two springs for my pumps was little over 3-10's of an inch.

Wraith

forum member
Reaction score
Good info and back from dead again. I'm about to pull my 13 pump and boundary gears off my new 3v build and go back with tss gears. I have been having low oil pressure issues with slightly wider tolerances.0018 to .0020 and 20w50 oil. 15 psi warm and about 35 @ 2000 rpm with 80 psi @ idle cold. Will keep al posted if gears end up being my issue

hamish

forum member
Reaction score
It may be a good option for you to oring the pump outlet, like in the pictures earlier in the thread.
I think Melling has a video somewhere showing the oil leakage through the backplate and seal.
If the pump is off and you can find someone to machine it, may be something to consider.

Wraith

forum member
Reaction score
Will look again see what I can find. I have also read about oil leaking in the guides area via couple orings anyone know anything about that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
Good info and back from dead again. I'm about to pull my 13 pump and boundary gears off my new 3v build and go back with tss gears. I have been having low oil pressure issues with slightly wider tolerances.0018 to .0020 and 20w50 oil. 15 psi warm and about 35 @ 2000 rpm with 80 psi @ idle cold. Will keep al posted if gears end up being my issue

Those clearances are well within normal for a mod motor. I wouldn't be afraid to run 5w20, your turbo might need a little more viscosity though. 5w30 should also run just fine with those main and rod clearances.

As an update to this thread I did a csi on the pump prior to putting it in. The gears are exactly the same as a 3v pump. The pressure relief spring was different. It allows for a higher psi prior to opening the relief valve.

More on the pump differences here: http://www.s197forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=106434&highlight=oil+pump

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
FRPP said that nobody they have heard of has ever replaced the relief spring with the GT version. I was under the impression the relief spring was for cold starts or high rpm operation before the oil was warm. Might be different for these pumps.

Edit/unrelated: I see ford racing sells a pump with billet gears for the 5.0 platform. That's pretty interesting.

Last edited:

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
FRPP said that nobody they have heard of has ever replaced the relief spring with the GT version. I was under the impression the relief spring was for cold starts or high rpm operation before the oil was warm. Might be different for these pumps.

I did. But I didn't call FRPP and report it, lol. I run stock clearances, Ford did a whole lot of thinking on why to have a specific spring rate for the 3v clearances. That's my whole reason for swapping the spring and for keeping stock clearances, because a whole lot of time and money went into figuring out what was needed.

I'm not educated enough nor do I have the research facilities, money, and time needed to change something that works so well like stock Ford mod motor clearances or what oil spec will work with them. Apparently a whole lot of SBC engine builders are smart enough to change things up but I prefer to use what is already proven to work, I just change the parts that are known to break at higher hp levels.

hamish

forum member
Reaction score

Edit/unrelated: I see ford racing sells a pump with billet gears for the 5.0 platform. That's pretty interesting.

It just redirect back to the inlet so it doesn't destroy anything.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back