2015 5.0 crate motor

cbass

m̶o̶u̶t̶h̶s̶e̶x̶
Reaction score
Oh great, somebody talked shit about Darren not driving his car. Thanks Obama.

ford20

forum member
Reaction score
I remember when S197 was about cars and tech and not about posting Darren jokes
Old%2BMan.gif

Strengthrehab

forum member
Reaction score
I thought it was always about Darren Jokes? That's all I have seen. :whoknew:

05gtowner

forum member
Reaction score
Absolutely nothing wrong strength wise with the 3V blocks. Spend your money else where. If you really want to bullet proof it you can address the rods, pistons, oiling system and maybe crank if you really want big power. Then spend your money on heads, cams and a power adder and you are good to go. A 08 and up GT500 is not a bad option either if you can find a whole car for the donor.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
Thanks, Looked into 4v better off and find a used GT500. I've had this car since new looking to see what route to take money wise. if I keep the 4.6 I would go with a stronger block for sure with forged internals. I have a old Boss 429 motor don't know if I should take that route my car just a toy to me.

The modular blocks aren't like the old pushrod blocks in the strength department. What I mean is your stock 3v 3L block will handle all the power you can throw at it.

A real easy and safe route to about 475rhwp is the Ford Racing Whipple HO kit. It's carb legal if you need that, drives very nicely, and is fairly safe for a stock motor. You can push more power with a custom tune and smaller pulley but that's when a forged rod and piston short block is going to be a good idea along with all the other weak links. You can also dial the power down with a bigger pulley.

I think the FRPP Whipple kit is around $6500 or so from Tasca Ford. Tasca is listed in the vendor section. A PM to Steve at Tasca would get the actual price. It's a complete kit with GT500 fuel pumps, injectors, a fantastic tune, everything you need. Yes, I've owned one so this is actual experience.

Kidd

forum member
Reaction score
Pretty sure this swap is not as big of a deal as everyone is saying. Look up Phansm72's build thread. He did it no problem and retained all factory functions including gauges. The only thing he couldn't retain was traction control. It can be done with a little time, patience and research. Here's a link to a shop that did it in 2011.

http://www.paulsautomotiveengineering.com/news/06-mustang-gt-with-a-5-0l-coyote-swap-2

Don't listen to the neigh sayers, it can be done without breaking the bank.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
Pretty sure this swap is not as big of a deal as everyone is saying. Look up Phansm72's build thread. He did it no problem and retained all factory functions including gauges. The only thing he couldn't retain was traction control. It can be done with a little time, patience and research. Here's a link to a shop that did it in 2011.

http://www.paulsautomotiveengineering.com/news/06-mustang-gt-with-a-5-0l-coyote-swap-2

Don't listen to the neigh sayers, it can be done without breaking the bank.

Do the cams use the same style of reluctor and sensor? If not is there a way to make the signal compatible with a 3v ecu? Even with the cams locked out and vct turned off a signal is still needed for spark timing.

How about the crank sensor?

Those would be the biggest factors imo. Next up would be the epas but I'm fairly certain it can work in a s197.

Kidd

forum member
Reaction score
As far I know you have to switch control packs for the 11-14 or the 15 and up depending on which engine you go with. There will be some wiring to do like splicing the factory gauges into the new ecu but from what I've read it's nothing that someone whose wired up aftermarket gauges can't do. Obviously I have not done the swap myself and am just going off of what the guys that have done it say about it.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
As far I know you have to switch control packs for the 11-14 or the 15 and up depending on which engine you go with. There will be some wiring to do like splicing the factory gauges into the new ecu but from what I've read it's nothing that someone whose wired up aftermarket gauges can't do. Obviously I have not done the swap myself and am just going off of what the guys that have done it say about it.

I'd think that a plug and play adapter would be possible but it would take some engineering. It could be something as simple as a signal generator that generated the signal used by the ecu for cam position. Maybe a single shot (electrical circuit) that put the correct signal out. Trigger it with the existing cam signal. Same could be done for the crank position sensor if it's not already compatible.

Maybe it's as easy as swapping plugs like Louie suggested? If it was that easy I'd think this would be a very common swap already.

Anyone out there have an oscope, access to a 3v and 5.0, and a whole lot of time to figure it out? Find the signal a 3v uses by observing on the oscilloscope, find the signal a 5.0 puts out via oscope, and if they aren't compatible design a single shot amplifier to use for signal conversion. Then build said converter and sell about 10 of them, lol. It wouldn't be profitable.

Any retired military electronics guys out there with time on your hands and the cars to test?

Kidd

forum member
Reaction score
I agree Bruce, if it were possible to retain the 3v pcm and do the swap this would be a no brainer for anyone looking to make decent power.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back