2015 engine block

dre256

forum member
Reaction score
Am not tech knowledgeable on this subject so please excuse this question if its dumb, but if am following this correctly and there are new water jackets on the new block and previous jackets have been changed, doesn't that also mean the water ports to the heads are different? Meaning the new 2015+ heads wont fit on the 2011-2014 5.0s due to the water ports wont line up?

BMR Tech

Traction Vendor
Official Vendor
Reaction score
Am not tech knowledgeable on this subject so please excuse this question if its dumb, but if am following this correctly and there are new water jackets on the new block and previous jackets have been changed, doesn't that also mean the water ports to the heads are different? Meaning the new 2015+ heads wont fit on the 2011-2014 5.0s due to the water ports wont line up?

Incorrect.

If the passages were larger, then you would be correct.

Smaller passages, no issue.

justinsstang

forum member
Reaction score
I was almost really really really really really... etc. upset about finding out the 2015 has forged internals after I literally bought a 2014 a few days ago. Then I realized the pistons weren't forged, and that to push any more power than the 11-14 you still have to rip the motor out and change pistons.

Less mad :supercool:

Now don't prove me wrong so I can remain happy.

19COBRA93

Ford Racing
Reaction score
I'll bet you could push hyper pistons into the 1000rwh area without a failure. With a good tune of course. Can't do that with non-forged rods though.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
I'll bet you could push hyper pistons into the 1000rwh area without a failure. With a good tune of course. Can't do that with non-forged rods though.

That's where they get the bad rep imo, they won't hold up to a bad tune like 2618 pistons will. So when they go it's the "crappy pistons" fault.

JEWC_Motorsports

S197 Junkie
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
You really think hyper's will hold 1000hp? Are they different now than in the older carb engines?

BMR Tech

Traction Vendor
Official Vendor
Reaction score
I agree 100% with the above statements about the pistons.

As long as I can remember, I don't recall seeing piston failures, from simply making big power. I mean heck, a hyper piston in the old Windsor 5.0L....the 4.6's...5.4's.....they always handled more than the rods, or other parts. Heck, a windsor block would split before the piston would get hurt.

Look at the LS engines running 8's. They have awesome non-forged rods, hyper pistons, and cast cranks.....and there are a TON of people out there now, making big power with just ARP hardware - and going 7's, 8's and 9's. Pretty sure there have been a few 4 second 8th mile stock LS powered cars. Nutty.

justinsstang

forum member
Reaction score
I agree 100% with the above statements about the pistons.

As long as I can remember, I don't recall seeing piston failures, from simply making big power. I mean heck, a hyper piston in the old Windsor 5.0L....the 4.6's...5.4's.....they always handled more than the rods, or other parts. Heck, a windsor block would split before the piston would get hurt.

Look at the LS engines running 8's. They have awesome non-forged rods, hyper pistons, and cast cranks.....and there are a TON of people out there now, making big power with just ARP hardware - and going 7's, 8's and 9's. Pretty sure there have been a few 4 second 8th mile stock LS powered cars. Nutty.

Yep I'm mad.
WTS 2014 Gotta Have It Green MT with 400 miles. Lol

Eel Mit

forum member
Reaction score
With the 2015 having stronger rods(Boss IIRC) and possibly a stronger block, I still can't believe they left the pistons untouched. Pretty lame to pull an engine to upgrade just the pistons.

The Boss rods are "powder-metal forged" and we have seen them let loose at the 800hp mark. Would they last forever at 650-700hp? Maybe. Would I chance it and not replace rods when doing "just the pistons"? Nope. There is still gonna be a market for rods, pistons, ARPs,etc. You just won't have to worry about the block (hopefully).

07TGGT

@user
Reaction score
The Boss rods are "powder-metal forged" and we have seen them let loose at the 800hp mark. Would they last forever at 650-700hp? Maybe. Would I chance it and not replace rods when doing "just the pistons"? Nope. There is still gonna be a market for rods, pistons, ARPs,etc. You just won't have to worry about the block (hopefully).

I would love to know how many you have seen let loose at 800rwhp. The Boss internals hold up past that, and quite a while. Just look up RaceRat, 800rwhp, multiple Texas mile runs, and countless 1/4 runs. I don't think we will see a lot of people replacing anything until after 800rwhp or more.

JEWC_Motorsports

S197 Junkie
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Ryan, lol guess you dont know who Eel Mit is. Meet Jon, lol he built RaceRat's car. Jon/Tracy own MaxV, lol.

REDS197

Reaction score
I plan on running around 800 rwhp with a TVS, E85, and stage 1 fuel system. Time will tell how strong these are. No way of knowing the limits until we push it.

justinsstang

forum member
Reaction score
I'm starting to think you'll never find your happy medium.

I love my new car, just will suck when I go TT and am stuck at 600rwhp, if the 2015 can do the same and easily push hundreds more than me

Oh well, I think 600 will be PLENTY of fun. I'm going to get raped by all the autos anyways, apparently there's no driver with enough skill to match the way new autos are if mods are =/= :thud:

Still happy to be driving the manual though :hi:

Back