2015 gained weight?

ford20

forum member
Reaction score
I saw this on a Steeda blog and that would suck if it was true and might be a reason for the power bump.

Our work is cut out for us because unbeknown to most Mustang aficionados (and not “officially” confirmed by Ford for obvious reasons), the 2015 Mustang ended up gaining 200-300 pounds in this remake – and with weight being the “enemy of performance”, there are plenty of challenges needed to ensure that the 2015 iteration of America’s favorite Pony Car isn’t left at the starting line spinning its wheels against the competition.

Mustang weight gain?

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
That's pretty shitty especially when they advertised the exact opposite.

R1V3R5

5-Oh!
Reaction score
Still disappointing if true. I know IRS adds weight. But thought this car was overall smaller than the S197 and I assumed it would weigh less.

WOT

forum member
Reaction score
I had my heart set on getting a new car, I bought my car new back in 2005 and I felt it was now time for me to upgrade, I even went ahead and sold lots of parts of my car to accumulate funds for a new car.
The news of the 15 gaining 300lbs really bums me out and now I'm think of keep my car and building it exactly how I've always imagine it.
My other option that I see is picking up a used yote.. The only thing stopping me from doing this, is that I hate the rear of 11-12 but love the front and vice versa for the 13-14 love the rear but hate the pig nose.

Last edited:

05yellowgt

Reaction score
The IRS couldn't be the sole reason for that large of a weight increase. The cobra irs was around 125lbs more than the straight axle and it was all iron and steel construction. We know the2015 IRS is made up of much more aluminum parts. Weight gain is also very counter productive to increasing fuel economy, especially the city mpg numbers so that would be another big hurdle for Ford. The drivetrain is the same, the middle chassis isn't that different, the overall dimensions of the car are the same, and the gadgetry isn't anything new. The only major changes are front and rear suspension design. I can't see that adding 200-300lbs.

GallopingFord

I'm Cam - Mr. Indecisive
Reaction score
Still disappointing if true. I know IRS adds weight. But thought this car was overall smaller than the S197 and I assumed it would weigh less.

It's not smaller.

S197: 187.6" Length, 107.1" Wheelbase
S550: 188.3" Length, 107.1" Wheelbase.

GT_350

Reaction score
The original quote is attributed from someone at Steeda, I'm hoping this is just a late April's Fool joke............

lostsoul

2014 vett or 2015 stang..
Reaction score
shit, at this rate they might as well have BBR make the base toon for it :tdown:

Unreal

forum member
Reaction score
All speculation at this point. If they really did add 300lbs then that really really sucks and I probably would never own one. I like the mustang compared to camaro/challenger because it is the lightweight out of the 3.

R1V3R5

5-Oh!
Reaction score
It's not smaller.

S197: 187.6" Length, 107.1" Wheelbase
S550: 188.3" Length, 107.1" Wheelbase.

Shit. Guess it was the angle or something. I legitimately thought the car was slightly smaller.

Also, the weight could be an error on Steeda's part. I'm not bashing Steeda, of course. I am just hoping that is the case.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back