23.85 mpg combined city / highway. 5.0 what else to get more mpg?

Bryan

forum member
Reaction score
Other than driving barefoot with thumb tacs glued to the gas pedal, what else can I do to get more mpg?

Synthetic motor, trans and rear... Tire pressure at 37 psi
Coast in neutral down hills, shut car off at long red lights

I drive 60 mph 15 miles one way, some city , lots of car cruises and car shows.

I've been off the nternet for awhile , I'm currently running my 93'race tune and it's rich at idle and rich on start up. Not too bad but no kitty cats on the car

Anyone run a mpg tune and seen good results ? Summer with ac and highway backups I'd like to get 25 or more in my auto 5.0

Thanks for any advise , just out of the loop

weather man

Persistance Is A Bitch
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Rut-roh....3 Reaction time is pretty good in 5.0 tech tonight :)

Bryan

forum member
Reaction score
Ok how is this not a technical question? What can I do to get more miles to a gallon in my car?

Is there a hybrid 5.0 section I don't know about? ;)

weather man

Persistance Is A Bitch
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Ok how is this not a technical question? What can I do to get more miles to a gallon in my car?

Is there a hybrid 5.0 section I don't know about? ;)

***2011 Tech Section - Please Read***
This section is for discussion of Technical related issues on the new 2011 Mustang and Coyote 5.0L 32V motors.

Discussions about non-tech related items should be posted in the Mustang Chit-Chat or Pitstop sections.

This section is for the discussion of technical related topics, i.e. installing parts, upgrading parts, diagnosing trouble, etc. actual physical wrenching or trouble shooting by you.

It is not for discussion of which part to buy or what exhaust sounds best.

I've had to move a lot of threads of late that should not have been posted in this section.

Please consider the section before you post a new thread.

Thank you for attention to this issue.

Thank you.

The Staff of S197forum
:thumb2:

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
You buy a 400+ HP V8 Muscle car and worry about fuel mileage....... :thud:

Get 3.08 gears and 29" tall tires

weather man

Persistance Is A Bitch
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Guess I will trouble shoot my mpg else where

Chit Chat is fine. Your combined mileage is actually very good. My wifes Rogue only averages 26.5 and it is a 4 cylinder. V-8 and any city driving will always drop the mileage down.

At part throttle, doesn't the motor pretty much run stoich, reguardless of tune?

05stroker

Never enough power guy!
Reaction score

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
23.85 combined is pretty good. If you want better mileage buy a Focus or a Festiva.

stang1971

forum member
Reaction score
my 2011 5.0 auto with: 4.10's.....exhaust....stall....steeda cai..... amazon tuning tune i get an average of 24.7 mpg. and i dont baby this car.

VTXFrank

Obama SUCKS!
Reaction score
Guess I will trouble shoot my mpg else where

There isn't any thing TO troubleshoot. You're already getting great combined mileage. There isn't anything tech related about this unless you're planning on doing some upgrades for better mileage:

back_to_the_future_car-11370.jpg

It has 3.15 gears and 27.5 tall 19inch wheels, god forbid I drive one of my cars light on the throttle and expect good miles to a gallon

This is a 5.0L, 11:1CR, high performance V8. It's quite a bit more thirsty than those grocery getters you seem to want the same mileage of. The only way you're going to get any better mileage out of that car is going back to stock. Running a race tune and intake is going to put a ding in your MPG. Run skinnier, lighter weight wheels and tires.

If you wanted power plus great mileage, you should of bought the 3.7L Mustang. With my setup, I get 23 hwy @ 65-70mph and 18 in combined. City only I get 15. So compared to what most of us are getting with modified cars, you should recognize how well you're actually doing.

Back