26 vs 28s

09gt3v

forum member
Reaction score
I kno I may sound dumb asking this and everyone will say use a calculater but I have a 28inch tall nitto drag radial on my 18s that I daily drive I also have a 26 inch tall slick on my race stars for the track and have 410 gears making 348 rwhp I'm curious if 26s pick the car up a lot like it seems in my calculations like it would

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
26" tire is the way to go for you, not a big pick up, but it will help. Better gearing for a n/a set up.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
What does it run now?

09gt3v

forum member
Reaction score
It's gone a 12.2 on the 26" slicks at the track but on the street I always run my drag radial which are pretty close to 28 inch tall tire and I was curious of the difference between the two because I run dead even with a few people on the 28" drag radials

TexasBlownV8

Formerly TexasBlownV6
Reaction score
Run the 28 at the track and see the difference?

I'm also curious on 26 vs 28 using slicks and 373's with over 700 to the wheels, through a a 4r70w auto. With 26" tires, I'm trapping at 6000-6200 rpms in the 1/4. I am wondering how things would change with 28" slicks.

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
I kno I may sound dumb asking this and everyone will say use a calculater but I have a 28inch tall nitto drag radial on my 18s that I daily drive I also have a 26 inch tall slick on my race stars for the track and have 410 gears making 348 rwhp I'm curious if 26s pick the car up a lot like it seems in my calculations like it would

At the track, what is your rpm when crossing the trap with the 26" tires? As long as you're not bouncing off the redline then I would keep using that size. If you increase power and run out of throttle before the end of the run, then you can bump up the tire size in order to effectively reduce your gearing slightly and allow you a few more mph before hitting redline.

But if you don't have the power to pull it, increasing tire size will probably slow you down.

TexasBlownV8

Formerly TexasBlownV6
Reaction score
...that's what I'm thinking applies to my question as well... a 26" tire with 373's is closer to 390's, and as long as I have room on the rpms, should probably keep the 26's.

TexasKyle

D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
...that's what I'm thinking applies to my question as well... a 26" tire with 373's is closer to 390's, and as long as I have room on the rpms, should probably keep the 26's.

Keep the 26" IMO. As you said, going to the taller tire will drop your final RPM. Not by much, a few hundred probably but you are already well below your redline. Going from 3.31s to 3.73s on the same 28" tire only netted me about 250rpm at the finish line, if I remember correctly (may have been a bit more, but not much) So..going the other way for you by going to a bigger tire would drop your RPM a few hundred.

09gt3v

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks guys and I have tried the drag radials at the track and can't get them to hook ever so it is just hard to tell!

TexasBlownV8

Formerly TexasBlownV6
Reaction score
Thanks guys and I have tried the drag radials at the track and can't get them to hook ever so it is just hard to tell!

I hear ya! I have the same problem: dr's wont hook at the track at all...nor on the street from a dead stop. Spin spin spin, lol. hence the need to use slicks at the track, and where I want maximum traction and less chance of loosing control under heavy acceleration.

09gt3v

forum member
Reaction score
I hear ya! I have the same problem: dr's wont hook at the track at all...nor on the street from a dead stop. Spin spin spin, lol. hence the need to use slicks at the track, and where I want maximum traction and less chance of loosing control under heavy acceleration.

I second that I hate drag radials esspecially nittos

11secLX

forum member
Reaction score
Try a better drag radial like a M&H Racemaster in 28" or an ET Street radial but until you run out of rpm why bother to change size.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back