30 sidewall safe?

foolio2k4

forum member
Reaction score
Is a 30 profile sidewall safe to run for the track?

I was thinking about going 285/30 all around but i dont know if its safe. Maybe its just better to go 35 profile sidewall instead?

What are your opinions on it?

Stangmeister9

The Member
Reaction score
I imagine since u r asking about 30 series tires u r talkin about 20" wheels? If so u don't really have a choice but to go with 30 or 35. If they are 18 or 17 then go with 40 / 45 respectively. You will be putting less strain on brakes, and drive train. U need to be more specific to get some good info on ur current setup.

luckyone

Reaction score
I run 285/30-20 in the rear with no problem. You wont hook that well from a hard launch but other than that they are great.

Sleeper_08

forum member
Reaction score
Check the overall diameter and remember that every inch less than 27 inches means the car has 1/2 less ground clearance. Even on a race track you may end up getting too low.

The other thing to consider is the effect on speed in each gear since if they are too small you might run out of revs depending on which track you run.

foolio2k4

forum member
Reaction score
I was planning to put it on a 19 inch rim. So this is what i calculated. Is 5% too fast? Im running stock 3.3 gears so im sure it will effectively increase the ratio. But i dont know how much this will effect handling.
The only courses ill be on is california speedway and the one in el toro airbase.

with the 285/30/19 it says speedo difference is 5.591% too fast with a diameter difference of 5.3%
with the 285/35/19 it says speedo difference is 1.188% too fast with a diamtere difference of 1.18%

What other info do you need?

Last edited:

Gray Ghost GT

Road Racing Fanatic!
Reaction score
Personally, I would go with the 35 ratio tire for the road course based on the weight of the car and its tendency to understeer, it also allows the tires to "talk" to you a little more as you push them through the turns and esses.

While the front tires on my vette are a 315/30 ratio tire, I'm not sure I would run the smaller and shorter sidewall 285/30 tire on the Mustang. A 30 ratio tire is safe, but the question is, "will it perform as well as a 35 ratio tire on a road course for this type of car?"

Last edited:

marksti

forum member
Reaction score
Is a 30 profile sidewall safe to run for the track?

I was thinking about going 285/30 all around but i dont know if its safe. Maybe its just better to go 35 profile sidewall instead?

What are your opinions on it?
Is it safe?:YES, certainly

Last edited:

FR500GT

forum member
Reaction score
I was planning to put it on a 19 inch rim. So this is what i calculated. Is 5% too fast? Im running stock 3.3 gears so im sure it will effectively increase the ratio. But i dont know how much this will effect handling.
The only courses ill be on is california speedway and the one in el toro airbase.

with the 285/30/19 it says speedo difference is 5.591% too fast with a diameter difference of 5.3%
with the 285/35/19 it says speedo difference is 1.188% too fast with a diamtere difference of 1.18%

What other info do you need?

Im running a 30 sidewall on my 19's no problem. Looks wise they'll be fine if the car is slammed. Performance wise, yes it does shorten the gears just a tad.

BTW im in Orange County about 5 minutes away from el toro marine base..let me know when the next event is because i really want to start going! haha

SoundGuyDave

This Space For Rent
Reaction score
The shorter sidewall is going to affect your net wheel rate, taking it upwards a bit. I don't think it'll be drama, but it will have the effect of running stiffer springs. 275/35-18 is a pretty common choice for the Mustang crowd at the track. 19" rubber isn't cheap, just something to think about.

Cookiemonster

forum member
Reaction score
Im running a 30 sidewall on my 19's no problem. Looks wise they'll be fine if the car is slammed. Performance wise, yes it does shorten the gears just a tad.

BTW im in Orange County about 5 minutes away from el toro marine base..let me know when the next event is because i really want to start going! haha

thats where 90% of my time has been! whoooo! for the locals :thumb2:

foolio2k4

forum member
Reaction score
Ok so a 30 sidewall wont be bad for the track. It should perform as well, if not better than 35 sidewall because of less lean?

Stangmeister9

The Member
Reaction score
AGAIN, are you doing this size at all four corners or only rear (be specific)? 30 to 35 series: difference is going to come down to air pressure and car set up. this will not be a one time deal to end all adjustments. it is just a starting point. since the second post was from someone talking about the drag strip and you did not correct what type of track are you talking about road, or qtr mile?

Sam Strano

forum member
Reaction score
I've beat on both 285/30-18 and 295/30-18 for years. They are both very, very short sidewalls with the 285's being tiny. And we've had them on rims that were technically too small for the tire (what can I say, I'm stuck with the wheels and those tires are faster than what fits "correctly", and never had a problem.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back