3V 5 Speed on a radial instead of a slick?

Bossmustang16

3v to 4v
Reaction score
all i hear is how i should run a stiff wall slick 28x10.5x15 for my car for the track. but all i've seen are people break stuff on them (axles, axle tubes, spider gears etc) but all i hear are how much better they are for your drive train then a radial.. anybody run a 275 radial or radial pro on a stick car? maybe with lower relocation brackets as well?

i'm runnin a radial right now and cutting 1.6 60 ft's with no drive train problems. KNOCK ON WOOD!

Last edited by a moderator:

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
bias is easier to launch on a stick car and will absorb more shock

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
If you want bias slick traction for a stick car without the squirelly feeling. Get the MT radial pro's best tire I have ever used.

lindertw

forum member
Reaction score
M/T et street or Hoosier QTP DOT bias ply tires work well too if you want something you can drive on the street limited amounts... I run M/T et street bias ply, and launch at 6.5k side-stepping the clutch without issue.

details on your setup/mods? time slips and or videos if you got 'em (I'm always looking to learn)

deathwishracer

forum member
Reaction score
I totally agree with the radial pro. No moving around, and a radial will always be faster than a bias, given the 60 is the same.

NUTCASE

forum member
Reaction score
I used radial only for years. I just recently went to bias ply, and for a manual car, I won't go back. you can launch harder without fear and the launch is more consistent. I have found that bias ply are also more tolerant of changing track conditions which is to me has turned out to be worth more then the extra .1 or .2 of ET.

DVEST8R

forum member
Reaction score
I used radial only for years. I just recently went to bias ply, and for a manual car, I won't go back. you can launch harder without fear and the launch is more consistent. I have found that bias ply are also more tolerant of changing track conditions which is to me has turned out to be worth more then the extra .1 or .2 of ET.
THIS ^^^^ Leave the radials for auto cars. Generally speaking there are some exceptions. 28's wont walk around up top if they are screwed and tubed.

NUTCASE

forum member
Reaction score
Do you know the nightmare of having a 11.8 car, but 95% of the time you are floating between 12.0 and 12.4 if not worse? I'll trade 1 or 2 tenths for the sake of having a car that runs what its supposed to 90% of the time. I think this is one of the ways you can spot a real drag racer LOL.

deathwishracer

forum member
Reaction score
All I want is a lower et, every time. No 2 cars are the same. I tried bias et streets with every possible suspension setting. Would not hook. Best 60ft was 1.6..put the pros on, immediate low 1.5 60ft, 2mph increase, and no more sway. On a stick car. ??

Bossmustang16

3v to 4v
Reaction score
any one wanna comment on how a bias et street is different to a stiff side wall M/T 28x10.5x15? in terms of track performance

jodadejss06gt

TEAM DELETE SHIT
Reaction score
I put a 17" ET street through a 1.49 short time with the 3650. Very Very smooth clutch work to make it happen though. A dump of the clutch launching from the same RPM = instant tire roast.

NickD87

forum member
Reaction score
Im looking to get my first drag tire, I have been reading a lot and my only worry after all my research is people saying not to mix radial and bias ply tires, I plan to run my front street tires, backs will be mounted on spare 17" rims, the track I go to has shitty prep most of the time.
Me feeling safe and not wreaking the car is more important to me then ET, what do you think will I feel unsafe with the bias ply?

lindertw

forum member
Reaction score
Im looking to get my first drag tire, I have been reading a lot and my only worry after all my research is people saying not to mix radial and bias ply tires, I plan to run my front street tires, backs will be mounted on spare 17" rims, the track I go to has shitty prep most of the time.
Me feeling safe and not wreaking the car is more important to me then ET, what do you think will I feel unsafe with the bias ply?

I ran a 17" M/T ET street bias ply mounted on a spare OEM wheel with my radial fronts without issue. The sidewall on the 17" tire isn't very big, which reduces potential sway at the top end. Ran 18psi cold, and managed a best of 12.479 @ 108.18, with a 1.652 60'

2013_test_and_tune_full_res_zps0323d6d9.jpg

NickD87

forum member
Reaction score
sorry to derail but im sure others can learn from this.
If I go 275/40/17 bias (still worried about sway) will it make a difference what fronts I have (fronts are 9" wide rims with 255 maybe soon 275) Basically what if my fronts are wider then the stock 235's
Ive felt sway on my 285 35 19 street tires but attributed it to cold temps and possible dew on the track?

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back