3V All motor rankings: still gunning for it

Boss281

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Back in 2011, I went looking for Paul's ranking list, wanted to print it out and frame my 8th ranking in the class, when I noticed I'm actually 3rd in line for all motor with stock heads. Art (Rench) is sitting pretty with a 11.5 to my 11.8, and while a reach with the current car, it wasn't that far out there. But distractions get in the way.

It's been a while, buying a house, settling in with a new gal (Croft!), ...the "old" 2005 even went through two rounds of "For Sale", without much luck. It stayed in the garage to collect dust, bought a 2011 for getting around. Then the truck started going south, and I looked at a 2012 FI50 with tow package...then a new trailer. Karma I said, so we brushed the dust off this garaged Boss wannabe.

Working with Woodbine Motorsports on approaches to another few tenths, we finally decided the trans needed to go and I ordered a Hanlon Motorsports built 3650, and added a RAM Powergrip clutch and flywheel. JJ put it all in, and...it sat all winter, lousy wet weekends...jesus, I can't even break the damn thing in! Finally, after one more snow event this Sunday, we should have some warmer weather and I can get some street time in the '05.

Laura and I will be test and tuning through April, but hope to see some of you at MIR in May for the NMRA. We'll race some if not most of the Speed Unlimited ET Series brackets this year, then start going for time in the cool weather and low DAs the mid-Atlantic fall brings.

It feels good to be back to racing, finally...

AlbertD

forum member
Reaction score
It sure does feel good to run 11s with an NA 3v. Sometimes I wish I would have kept on pursuing that better PB as there are always areas to improve on. Props to you and good luck bud. Way to represent the 3Vs!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CraigNnem

forum member
Reaction score
Complete mod list please, along with the weight of the car, If you don't mind?

Boss281

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
-Engine-
· C&L cold air “racer” intake
· C&L Intake Manifold
· GT500 throttle body
· Comp 127500 cams, limiters
· Steeda underdrive pullies
· Custom tune by Woodbine Motorsports
-Drivetrain-
· Spydershaft Aluminum driveshaft
· FRPP 4.30 gears
· Detroit TrueTrac
· Barton shifter
· RAM Powergrip clutch and matching aluminum flywheel, brand new
· Race built 3650 5-speed transmission by Hanlon Motorsports, brand new
-Exhaust-
· Magnaflow mufflers
· JBA offroad h-pipe
· JBA titanium coated longtube headers
-Suspension-
· BMR strut tower brace
· BMR boxed lower control arms and relocation brackets
· BMR adjustable upper control arm
· BMR tubular k-member and a-arms
· BMR radiator support/front swaybar delete bracket
· BMR Xtreme Antiroll Bar
· BMR Panhard Bar
· QA-1 adjustable race shocks
· Steeda sport springs

-Interior-
· Speed of Sound triple gauge pillar
· Autometer DPSS stage 2 shift light
· Autometer water temperature gauge
· Innovate wideband
· Rear seat delete
· Corbeau CR1 race seats
· Corbeau harness bar and 4pt harnesses

Bogart drag wheels and MT ET Fronts and ET Streets (26") complement the package. I think the last dyno a few years back was 360hp. Will have to look up the torque. Shifting is at 6500rpm, upper limit set to 7k.

ArtQ

forum member
Reaction score
I think you have a good shot at it John...Good luck! Funny you posted this today, I'm heading out to the garage to pull the engine for some bottom end and head work now....

Boss281

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Art, when we get the itch, WE GET THE ITCH. Looking forward to seeing you sometime this season bud...

quiksilver15

forum member
Reaction score
good luck this season bud.
I really wanted to buy you car when it was up for sale a few months back.

09gt3v

forum member
Reaction score
I noticed your setup you have 430 gear with a 26" tall tire if you don't mind me asking what rpms do you run through the traps at I've got a set of 26inch slicks on the way and I was thinking a 430 gear but I'm afraid of running out of gear, similar set up as you rev limiter is set at 7k and I usually shift at 6500

Boss281

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I noticed your setup you have 430 gear with a 26" tall tire if you don't mind me asking what rpms do you run through the traps at I've got a set of 26inch slicks on the way and I was thinking a 430 gear but I'm afraid of running out of gear, similar set up as you rev limiter is set at 7k and I usually shift at 6500

I'll need to find my notebook to be exact but I'm in 4th but running out of gear quick, so it's close to 6500rpm.

S197 GT

PINK Casting Director
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Sick! Glad to see the Boss 281 coming out of retirement!

Good luck on besting your 11.8!

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
That's good to hear bro can't wait to see the results!!

What's actually inside the built 3650? I am tired of these shitty synchros.
I actually have a spare good working 3650 in my basement.
So when my current one shits the bed I aint repairing it just throwing the spare in, but I am considering having the spare built, any info?

Boss281

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Mmmm, billet shift forks, bronze pads, bronze synchros (I THINK), 26-spline input shaft, pretty much anything that wears down is replaced, plus I wanted to avoid blowing the input shaft. Given my horsepower I avoided the heavy duty gearset, just seemed like overkill. I dropped my original off as a core, I think I paid $1500 with hydraulic throwout bearing...was out today briefly, it was just plain cool it shifted like butter. My 11.8 run was with the damaged trans and I was slamming the gears hard.

If you want I can pull the sheet and get you exact specs.

GT.350-R

3PEDLS
Reaction score
Good luck man, can't wait to run with you guys at NMRA MIR.
I also have set out to see if I can get that spot for the all motor 3valve 11.50 pass.
My 3 valve is stock from intake to pan, with pullies , CAI and headers, and weighs in at 3450lbs. With the stock trans and clutch .
I went 11.99 in Florida at +1500 ft DA a few weeks ago, and hoping for 11.70s in Atlanta.
Does anyone know what the record is for stock head , cams and intake is?
And what was the weight of the car that has it?
I think it's great that there are still a few of us, that are still trying to get the most out of these little 281 cu in motors.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back