3V aluminator choice w/ 2.3 whipple

BlownAway05

still too slow
Reaction score
Looks like the 3V aluminator now comes in stock 9.8 compression, I'd like other's insight on what they feel would go better with the 2.3 whipple, the aluminator with 8.7 compression or the 9.8 compression?

You can only spin these whipples so fast, seems like you will need max out the blower rpms to really make some decent power (600wheel on pump?) with the 8.7 comp. But you get into very small pulleys and belt slip can be an issue.

Would the 9.8 comp with lower boost be the better choice, so as not having to max out the blower rpm?

I'm under the impression that running lower comp, more boost is better due to the fact that the overall cylinder temp will be lower because boost heat is controlled with the intercooler, where as compression heat cannot be reduced (except for unburnt fuel), making pump gas a more viable option?

Any input to help create a clearer understanding of what might be the better option would be greatly appreciated. The biggest concern with me, is that the 2.3 whipple might not have enough room to grow with the lower 8.7 compression.:beer:

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I see no reason why it would not work well.

Last edited:

Bingo

Because street car
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Good to see Ford came out with a high(er) compression Aluminator.

Liberty911

forum member
Reaction score
I've been contemplating this same issue with money burning a hole in my pocket and my plans to go with a forged stroker SB with my 2.3 Whipple.

The three factors that are at the top of my list for consideration are:

Ability of the tuner
Quality of available pump gas
Responsibility of the driver

Lower CR forged SB are either the fad de jure to address rods being thrown on FI stock SBs, or are engineered to provide the most performance possible with a TC application. I think it is actually a combination of a fad and SB builders wanting to have their product as safe from detonation as possible. (after all, the general public will purchase what is offered on the menu and the more hard core will make their own choises after weighing the pros and cons.) Builders must know that the lower the compression ration the less likely a tuner will put their SB over the edge. Blown SBs are bad for sales.

Mine is a daily driver so giving up CR means giving up torque and hp for about 95% of my driving. This is the main reason alone I am not going with the 8:5 - 8:7 CR SBs. If I had a track car that never took off from a stand still under 3500 rpms and never ran more than 1320 feet I would have no issue with a lower CR. I'd just up the boost!

As a general conclusion, it would appear that if the Whipple 2.3 kit will work on the stock SB with 9:8.1 CR, it should certainly work with the Aluminator with the same CR. The latter resolving (?) the issues with the frail rods. If the CR would not work with the 9:8.1 in the first place, it would seem to me that there would be no kits from any of the TC manufactures that could be used with stock block. It also seems that FFRP would not have joined in efforts with Whipple to supply a TC that does not void the factory warranty even when bolted to the stock SB.

Based upon my limited research I am leaning toward sacrificing a little CR for the sake of safety, dropping the CR to somewhere between 9:3 and 9:66 with a goal of a daily driver that does not sacrifice off-boost performance, 550 to 600 rwhp, somewhere around 450-500 rwtq, 93 octane pump gas, and being capable of consistent <11 second ETs with the proper rubber and driver.

If the Aluminator came within the range of my tentatively preferred CR, I would have one already at that price. But no such Aluminator is available off the standard menu so I'm interested to hear what everyone says.

LAK3RS

Original Member
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
That is amazing!!! I was completely skeptical about the 8.7 aluminator, and now that they do a 9.8, I know what shortblock I'll be going with!

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back