3v exhaust question

Nicu7

forum member
Reaction score
Okay, I've had an o/r h pipe, Mac axel backs and hot rod cams for a couple years. I loved the deep old school sound. I got tons of compliments everytime I drove my car. I put pypes long tubes on last summer with the o/r h pipe. It sounded good at idle but made a trumpeting sound when under hard acceleration. I thought it might be the macs. So I switched them out for some fr500s axel backs. It's better but still doesn't quite sound like I want. It also pops and almost backfires when I let off the gas after hard accelerating. I'm guessing the car is probably running a bit rich. Any suggestions? I know it's mostly personal preference and I have tried a couple of different setups. What is everyone else running? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

46addict

Reaction score
I get the same trumpeting sound past 2500rpm with BBK longtubes, O/R x-pipe and Magnapacks. I thought it was the x-pipe and Magnapacks adding to the raspiness but if you have the same issue with an H pipe I guess it's the nature of the longtubes. If I had the cash to spend on a Corsa axleback, I would be willing to try those next.

07gts197

forum member
Reaction score
I think that trumpeting is inherent to our cars honestly. I have a upr o/r x pipe and m80s and have it when I hit the gas. We all have different setups yet still have that same trumpeting.

Have you thought about adding a set of resonators to your current setup?

Nicu7

forum member
Reaction score
Yeah someone mentioned putting them on the over the axel pipes. I had the stock mufflers on for a week after I sold my Macs and it actually didn't do the trumpeting. But it made my car super quite of coarse

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
I can't wait to try the KR's with factory cats and 18" total length vibrant resonators. I think it will get rid of the slight trumpeting I had when I got into boost at part throttle or low rpm, and quiet the car down a tiny bit.

joe_momma

forum member
Reaction score
I had trumpeting with my Pypes cat-delete legs and Violators (factory H pipe). I installed some Summit "glass packs" before the over-axles in a staggered fashion...it pretty much took care of it, but they hang pretty low.

redfirepearlgt

forum member
Reaction score
Magnaflow Street series axle backs on my Pypes, LT's and O/R - X pipe. Deep tone, light drone up hills under load 1800-2000 as 95% of aftermarket exhaust does, but that deep muscle car sound. Took nothing away from the cam sound either.

redfirepearlgt

forum member
Reaction score
Coyotes sound totally different though.

Was on a 2005 setup. I've owned more than one mustang. And yes you are correct. The Coyote does sound different because Ford returned to a Flat Head V8 firing order when they designed the 302CID Coyote.

Nicu7

forum member
Reaction score
Thinking about putting some M80's on paired with the Fr500's.

maz030

Reaction score
I'll admit that I may be a bit biased since I have them, but I believe the best axel backs for the 3 valve are easily the Borla Stingers. My car didn't come with them, I bought them after watching probably 100 exhaust videos haha. They are loud though after they finally break in.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
A mac pro chamber will make a difference. It should bolt up to the Pypes headers but check first.

Nicu7

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks for everyone's help. I hate blindly buying different setups and not liking any of them. I've watched a ton of youtube videos but most the time the sound doesn't quite translate very well.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
Thanks for everyone's help. I hate blindly buying different setups and not liking any of them. I've watched a ton of youtube videos but most the time the sound doesn't quite translate very well.

FWIW I ran Mac LT headers (look the same as Pypes) with Pypes high flow cats, a Mac pro chamber, and GTA mufflers (also with stock GT500 mufflers). No trumpeting or drone. I switched from the GTA to GT500 mufflers because it drew just a little too much attention with the GTAs.

Nicu7

forum member
Reaction score
Cool man. I really think I'm going to try and find a used Mac pro chamber or just pick up a new one and try that. I've had a couple people tell me to try it. Thanks again

06 T-RED S/C GT

forum member
Reaction score
So which axle back would sound best on a 3v with Mac off road Prochamber ? I'm considering either Borla Stingers or Roush as my top choices.. I currently run Magnaflow streets, but they drone under 3k even with factory cats still in place and are too quiet from outside the cabin..

I actually like the sound of the Roush's better over the Stingers on the Coyote 5.0 but not sure which sound better on the 4.6 3 valves.. I'm looking for a deeper/throatier tone, but also don't want to deal with the annoying cabin drone either..

06JET

forum member
Reaction score
I have the Roush Extreme cat backs with Kooks LT's and Kooks high flow cats with H-pipe. Deep with no drone. It's very loud but sounds good. No raspy tone. Even at 70 mph in 5th when you lay into it, it just gets deeper and louder.

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
Thinking about putting some M80's on paired with the Fr500's.

I had FR500S mufflers on my 2010 with oem exhaust. Sounded good, no drone either. Then once the JBA LT's + JBA catted H went in, it was a bit too loud for my tastes.. plus drone @ 2 krpm. The quick fix was welded in M80's, just b4 the rear axle. Not as loud now, and a deeper, lower pitched sound.

Department Of Boost

Alpha Geek
Reaction score
I had trumpeting with my Pypes cat-delete legs and Violators (factory H pipe). I installed some Summit "glass packs" before the over-axles in a staggered fashion...it pretty much took care of it, but they hang pretty low.

This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Nicu7

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks again guys. I think I'm going with the m80's welded into the over the axel pipes and keep my fr500s on. It's the cheapest option since a mac pro chamber is like $400.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back