3v exhaust question

06 T-RED S/C GT

forum member
Reaction score
I have the Roush Extreme cat backs with Kooks LT's and Kooks high flow cats with H-pipe. Deep with no drone. It's very loud but sounds good. No raspy tone. Even at 70 mph in 5th when you lay into it, it just gets deeper and louder.

Thanks to your post, it appears I'll be upgrading from my Magnaflow streets to Roush extremes :)

Last edited:

Nicu7

forum member
Reaction score
Anyone know if you can pair Pypes long tubes with a Mac Pro Chamber? I'm sure it could be done, but wanted to know if anyone has tried it. Thanks!

Nicu7

forum member
Reaction score
Yeah I know that but it says must be matched with Mac long tubes. Didn't know if they just put that because they want you to use Macs I'm sure

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

06 T-RED S/C GT

forum member
Reaction score
They just say that, as all long tube headers are pretty much the same length..

The only difference with the Mac pro chamber long tube header kit, is you'll be getting shorter off road legs designed to fit with long tube headers.. Therefore it doesn't matter which brand of long tube headers you have..

Nicu7

forum member
Reaction score
Cool. That's what I figured I just didn't want to blow $450 and have to modify them to fit. Thanks

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
Yeah I know that but it says must be matched with Mac long tubes. Didn't know if they just put that because they want you to use Macs I'm sure

It's going to be a gamble but one with good odds. Pypes are a knock off of the MAC LT which are really a mid length header.

They should fit but it will depend on how well Pypes made your set of headers. There should be lots of wiggle room and no issues but MAC is pretty proud of the Pro Chamber so it's an expensive gamble.

I'd do it and if there were fitment issues I'd modify the Pro Chamber to fit. It's that good in the sound department.

06 T-RED S/C GT

forum member
Reaction score
It's going to be a gamble but one with good odds. Pypes are a knock off of the MAC LT which are really a mid length header.

They should fit but it will depend on how well Pypes made your set of headers. There should be lots of wiggle room and no issues but MAC is pretty proud of the Pro Chamber so it's an expensive gamble.

I'd do it and if there were fitment issues I'd modify the Pro Chamber to fit. It's that good in the sound department.

I was under the impression the pro chamber is designed more for smoothing out exhaust pulses in order to provide better flow, performance and torque rather than affect sound similar to what a resonator is designed for..

However if the Pro Chamber does affect sound much in the same way as a resonator, I have an old pro chamber sitting in my basement that also included high-flow catted legs, however I had to uninstall it after one of the high-flow cats went bad..

I could always reinstall just the pro chamber itself with the stock cats after modifying the stock mid pipe.. Therefore in your honest opinion, would the pro chamber effectively get rid of drone just as well as a resonator or bullet style muffler or would adding a resonator/bullet style muffler be more effective ?

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
I was under the impression the pro chamber is designed more for smoothing out exhaust pulses in order to provide better flow, performance and torque rather than affect sound similar to what a resonator is designed for..

However if the Pro Chamber does affect sound much in the same way as a resonator, I have an old pro chamber sitting in my basement that also included high-flow catted legs, however I had to uninstall it after one of the high-flow cats went bad..

I could always reinstall just the pro chamber itself with the stock cats after modifying the stock mid pipe.. Therefore in your honest opinion, would the pro chamber effectively get rid of drone just as well as a resonator or bullet style muffler or would adding a resonator/bullet style muffler be more effective ?

I ran mine with MAC LT headers, Pypes high flow cats spliced in, and GTA mufflers. The GTAs were a little too loud for my taste so I swapped them out for GT500 (GT automatic) mufflers.

Never experienced any drone. I bought the Pro Chamber because a friend had one and it really mellowed out his un catted setup. The only time I've had drone was with a set of JBA mufflers. They lasted less than an hour on my car. I won't accept drone or anything that makes my car an unpleasant experience to drive. For me it's a musclecar, not a racecar.

06 T-RED S/C GT

forum member
Reaction score
??? Mine came with the Pro Chamber and two legs that were sized for MAC LT headers. No extras for real long tubes. What did you get?

So does the OP have real long tube headers or mid length headers ? If he has the Pypes LT kit, they should pretty much be the same as the MAC LT kit..

What I have is the high-flow catted Pro Chamber for the stock exhaust manifolds/headers..

Nicu7

forum member
Reaction score
I have pypes long tubes pypes h pipe and fr500s axel backs. No cats

06 T-RED S/C GT

forum member
Reaction score
I ran mine with MAC LT headers, Pypes high flow cats spliced in, and GTA mufflers. The GTAs were a little too loud for my taste so I swapped them out for GT500 (GT automatic) mufflers.

Very unusual Bruce, as it was my understanding that GTA's were one of the favorite choices due to their quietness at idle and during highway and cruising speeds with absolutely no drone whatsoever..

Perhaps the GTA's were just better suited for the stock exhaust over high-flow cats and LT headers for whatever reason :shrug:

Never experienced any drone. I bought the Pro Chamber because a friend had one and it really mellowed out his un catted setup. The only time I've had drone was with a set of JBA mufflers. They lasted less than an hour on my car. I won't accept drone or anything that makes my car an unpleasant experience to drive. For me it's a musclecar, not a racecar.

I couldn't agree more with you Bruce, as I also cannot stand annoying cabin drone and like yourself, I want to enjoy the driving experience of owning a pony car rather than have it ruined by having to put up with that dreaded cabin drone instead lol .. So it appears I'll be better off just modifying my stock mid pipe in order to have my MAC Pro Chamber reinstalled rather than fork out more $$$ for either resonators or for bullet style mid mufflers..

Then I don't see why you would run into any issues with the MAC LT Pro Chamber kit :shrug:

Last edited:

Speedboosted

Found missing cylinders
Reaction score

Sorry about the slight thread revival, but I have this exact setup on my '06 but with comp 127400 cams as well. It was stupid loud at WOT (NASCAR comes to mind) so I added 12" long Magnaflow race mufflers in the OTA's. I honestly felt like it added a tiny bit of noise inside the cabin but there is still zero drone anywhere. However it is still kinda loud outside the car and I'm worried it won't pass sound regulations at a few local tracks.

I thought about getting some stock mufflers to put back on but was worried it would sound kinda lame. I had Borla Stingers before adding the Magnaflows but they droned a ton. I wish I would've kept them and tried with the resonators...having said that does anyone else recommend an axle back that won't cost $750 (Corsa) but could fill my needs of sounding good at WOT, not droning, and a decent idle. I love everything about the FR500S aside from the sheer volume at WOT. At this point, would muffler deletes like Pype Bombs be quieter at WOT?

1fastTbird

forum member
Reaction score
I had Borla Stingers on my car, but after I added the Kook's LT's and catted X-pipe it was too loud for my suburban lifestyle, haha. So I put the stock mufflers back on (because free) and honestly it sounds pretty good. I am sure you can pick up a set for little to no money just to try it out before you spend a lot.

Just an overall comment: while a lot of cars are built for the track, it sounds like there are a lot of people who have added what I would consider full race exhaust systems and then are surprised that the noise takes away from the enjoyment of the car the streets.

Last edited:

ghunt81

New parts on old junk!
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I found a used Ford Racing Touring (actually Borla) axle back on ebay last year and have been running it. They have been really good mufflers, no drone, less noise inside the car, and quieter at idle than most others I used BUT they are still loud as F at WOT. I'm not sure if you'd be able to get away from that or not.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score
Just an overall comment: while a lot of cars are built for the track, it sounds like there are a lot of people who have added what I would consider full race exhaust systems and then are surprised that the noise takes away from the enjoyment of the car the streets.
I get the same impression, especially from occurrences of people trying several different exhausts.

I had Borla Stingers on my car, but after I added the Kook's LT's and catted X-pipe it was too loud for my suburban lifestyle, haha. So I put the stock mufflers back on (because free) and honestly it sounds pretty good.
Thanks. You've pretty much confirmed my decision to do an X-pipe and leave the rest of the OE exhaust from the X back alone. In front of the X . . . we'll see what the future brings.

Norm

07gts197

forum member
Reaction score
I wouldnt get the Pype Bombs as you would get rid of the mufflers so it kind of defeats the purpose of making it quieter. I ran them before with m80s and it made them tame but loud. Like everyone else is saying just stick with stock axle backs.

46addict

Reaction score
Thanks. You've pretty much confirmed my decision to do an X-pipe and leave the rest of the OE exhaust from the X back alone. In front of the X . . . we'll see what the future brings.

Norm

That is the setup I had on my 2008 GT and it sounded great. Zero drone and it had a nice tone. Above 3000rpm it woke up and had the NASCAR sound but it was far from obnoxious. There isn't much power gain to be had from swapping mufflers so I left those alone.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back