3v rear suspension setups

808muscle

forum member
Reaction score
There is a ton of info here but to name the basics, LCA, UCA and adjustable shocks/struts.

dysan

Dis-Member
Reaction score
J&M Street/Extreme LCA's, CHE LCA relocation brackets, Detroit locker diff, JPC race adjustable UCA, UPR UCA mount, Spohn polyurethane diff bushing, welded axle tubes and an air bag in my rear passenger side spring set at around 12psi.

I can cut low 1.4x 60's when I have my power turned up all day long with this.

Stock shocks and springs fyi.

NUTCASE

forum member
Reaction score
if you are all stock right now the first best thing you can do is tire. just don't overdo it with some 275,295,305 size if you don't have the power for it. the extra weight and drag will make you slower or the same as when you had street tires and spinning.

the do the UCA. it is not as easy as the LCAs but I can promise you the day you finally get to doing your UCA you will wish you had done that part first.

next are the LCAs. once you have these two bases covered you really will be suprised the diffrence.

lets put it this way, with UCA, LCAs, 275 MT DRs, and spraying 125 out of the hole I was cutting low 1.6 dead hooking. I was experimenting with upping the pressure to get more top end and I got to 26psi still dead hooking 1.6 before I just got to buisy to get to the track any more.

09gt3v

forum member
Reaction score
My car made 353 rwhp I have everything as far as n/a except heads car runs it's ass off I just can't get my set of 305 nitto drag radials to hook even with a burnout just looking to see what you guys have as far as rear suspension is conserned

NUTCASE

forum member
Reaction score
do you burnout in 1st or second gear? what is your tire pressure and exactly how are you launching it?

also what is your current 60'? also what are your gears?

and is this on the street, a well prepped track or a poor prepped track?

09gt3v

forum member
Reaction score
15-20 for tire pressure, I usually do just a first gear burnout and yes it is on the street but it also just blew them off at the track I also do have lowering springs which I kno is a killer but with the low horsepower I have getting them to hook shouldn't be a issue

09gt3v

forum member
Reaction score
I usually just feather it out as fast as I can since it just spin but I would like to dump it off the 2 step

psfracer

billy badass
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I usually just feather it out as fast as I can since it just spin but I would like to dump it off the 2 step

Get rid of the nittos and run some M&Hs or M/Ts.

Is the car lowered? What springs? Gears you have now? I am partial to BMR stuff but there are a lot of good manufacturers out there. Typical is LCAs, UCA, anti squat brackets (if lowered), and a GOOD TIRE.

Sprayin Blue 3V

forum member
Reaction score
I cut 1.6x with a 17" MT ET street (bias ply) with only LCAs. Added UCA and Lakewood shocks but havent been back to the track to see if they did anything. IMO tire is more important.

09gt3v

forum member
Reaction score
Yes I am lowered which I no is terrible but it's a street car and I hate how it sat up like a damn monster truck before and 410 gears I also have j and m lca's which I kno are cheap but I couldn't beat 40 bucks for them when I got them idk if they hurt me or not tho, it's almost as if I spin worse with them

09gt3v

forum member
Reaction score
Also 18 inch's on the dr's with 90 percent tread left and 1.5 inch drop ford racing lowering springs

Last edited:

Swarzkopf

forum member
Reaction score
if you are all stock right now the first best thing you can do is tire. just don't overdo it with some 275,295,305 size if you don't have the power for it

I definitely see your point, but I think a 26" tall 275 drag radial is about perfect for most cars on this site, from bolt-on 3Vs to stuff in the ~500 RWHP range.

NotQuik

I can't drive
Reaction score
I'd also start with tires, that will make the biggest difference. When you do, I'd suggest doing a 2nd gear burnout as well. Springs do make a difference as you know and as I recently experienced by going from Eibach ProKit to BMR springs, luckily the car still maintained a nice stance. Went from cutting inconsistent mid 1.8-1.9 60's to cutting mid to high 1.7's with a best of a 1.72 so far.

I ran eibach sportlines on my old 95 with just a couple mild bolt ons and 3.27 gears and cut a 1.72, how that happened is still beyond me. lol

8306gt

forum member
Reaction score
My car consistently did low 1.50's on Sportlines with the remainder of the suspension being stock, leaving from an idle and simply flashing the convertor, on a 295/45/17 MT drag radial.

Since installing relocation brackets, and adjustable upper arm I have seen zero improvement in 60' times, however I do believe I would see improvements with a different set of springs and struts/shocks.

psfracer

billy badass
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Yes I am lowered which I no is terrible but it's a street car and I hate how it sat up like a damn monster truck before and 410 gears I also have j and m lca's which I kno are cheap but I couldn't beat 40 bucks for them when I got them idk if they hurt me or not tho, it's almost as if I spin worse with them

Look at your LCA angle relative to the ground. If the LCAs are parallel to the ground, then you are ok. If the rear of the LCA is closer to the ground vs the front, your ok. If the front of the LCA is closer to the ground vs the rear, then you need relocation brackets.

As far as the tire---I don't care if the Nittos are brand new, they SUCK vs an M&H or M/T at the track. Nittos do have their place though---in rain I would want to be on Nittos vs the M&H or M/T. Just depends on your priorities.

NUTCASE

forum member
Reaction score
I definitely see your point, but I think a 26" tall 275 drag radial is about perfect for most cars on this site, from bolt-on 3Vs to stuff in the ~500 RWHP range.

I was running 275/50r15 which is basically a 26 inch tire. full bolt ons, 3.73, and spray maxing at a 125 shot out of the hole. like I said above I was dead hooking on any type of decent track to a low 1.6.

where I get my logic that smaller may be better at his level is when I started airing up the pressure to see where the limits were when I got to 26psi I measured the new wear pattern. the new wear pattern was about 245mm wide. and while observing this there were people around me with 235 and 255 DRs running the same 60's as me in similar weight cars.

also I have had 2 other cars where I was all like "yeah biggest DR I can get and drop the clutch at like 5k". but when I put the large tire on I either went only slightly faster or the same as I did (60's were always faster, but 1/4 mile was often the same) before spinning the street tires for about a second on the line.

these cars were both under 400hp street cars for proper comparison.

as for the OP, try getting some relocation brackets. they are not that expensive and you can find ones that bolt in if you don't want to weld. Also try heating the tires in 2nd gear and get some UCAs and LCAs on there

those nittos are not the best in the world but they are good for a 1.7 60'

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back