4.6 3v 8 bolt crank ?

STEVE_POE

coyote powered fr500s
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
guys, did any of the 4.6 3v gt mustangs from 2005-10 come out of the factory with a 8 bolt cranks? I thought all where 6 bolt ?

AlloyGT

Lurker
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure they were all 6 bolt. A buddy of mine bought an Aluminator, which I think did have an 8 bolt crank.

Rasmus

forum member
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure they were all 6 bolt. A buddy of mine bought an Aluminator, which I think did have an 8 bolt crank.

Stock was 6 bolt only. Anything with an 8 bolt is a replacement, not stock.

What they said.

You will never see an 8-bolt in a stock shortblock. Foged 8-bolts get put in built blocks.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
guys, did any of the 4.6 3v gt mustangs from 2005-10 come out of the factory with a 8 bolt cranks? I thought all where 6 bolt ?

Do you have one with an 8 bolt crank? The flywheel has 8 holes in it but two are for removal. I'd think you would know this though.

06Saleen E

Reaction score
8 bolt crank..

If you're referring to Mustang GTs it's 6, however Saleen Extremes (3v) came from factory with 8 bolts crank.

STEVE_POE

coyote powered fr500s
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I just did a coyote swap on a car. guy swore it was a stock shortblock but it has a 8 bolt crank in it ....I'm going to have to figure out exactly what this shortblock is now.

I was possibly thinking bullitt or the fr500s cars had a 8 bolt crank

Last edited:

Speed+Clinic

forum member
Reaction score
stockers come with 6 bolt cranks but it wouldn't be the first time ford used an 8 bolt due to supply shortage of the 6 bolts. (to keep the production line running)

rojizostang

i love my cams
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I just did a coyote swap on a car. guy swore it was a stock shortblock but it has a 8 bolt crank in it ....I'm going to have to figure out exactly what this shortblock is now.

details on the coyote swap?

Bill220

forum member
Reaction score

I don't think the Bullitt came with an 8 bolt crank. There were some small differences engine-wise but the crank wasn't one of them.

blownGTvert

forum member
Reaction score
I don't think the Bullitt came with an 8 bolt crank. There were some small differences engine-wise but the crank wasn't one of them.

I just did a clutch on an 08 Bullit. It's a 6 bolt just like all other 4.6 3V engines from the factory. The Saleen extremes have forged rotating assemblies with a Kellogg 8 bolt crank.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back