4.6to5.0 swap ?????

Rigmanpb

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me if it worth the money to swap out my 4.6 to a coyote 5.0 in my 05 gt... And what all is need to do the swap other then the wiring and ecm...?
Thanks

mike4.0

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum, questions like this should be under chit chat. you're in the correct section to be using the search button. some good info to be found.

4.6 3v to coyote for cost alone is usually not cheaper than selling your car for a 2011 +

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
No

Thread moved.

Trade up or add a blower will be more cost effective.

06 T-RED S/C GT

forum member
Reaction score
While you're at it ! Also swap out the pony for a :boti: emblem and you'll end up being the proud new owner of your very first Mustaro :ROFLJest:

05mustang_TT_charged

Because Race Car!!
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me if it worth the money to swap out my 4.6 to a coyote 5.0 in my 05 gt... And what all is need to do the swap other then the wiring and ecm...?
Thanks

I am not sure it is worth the money to go with a stock Coyote. I have a GT500 motor built by Accufab that I moved over to a Lightning I am building. I bought a 2011 Coyote block for car and sent it off to get sleeved. Also bought everything else new, Livernois St.3 heads, cams, Cobra Jet crank, Manley Pro Billet I-beam rods, custom Diamond pistons with some crazy coating on them.

With all new parts, getting the block sleeved and supports installed, ported heads, and a control pack I will be in it for roughly $19,400 give or take a few dollars. That should be able to hold 1600HP reliably, as in I shouldn't have to worry about the block cracking.

Rigmanpb

Reaction score
How much hp will a 4.6 handle..? I'm used to the old fox body.
Maybe some mods and supercharger with a tune..?

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
How much hp will a 4.6 handle..? I'm used to the old fox body.
Maybe some mods and supercharger with a tune..?

A stock motor is usually good for the higher end of 4xx rhwp. Do a budget build by swapping rods and pistons and you will be good for 700 or so.

The block itself can handle more power than anyone is going to make with it.

A real safe option that puts out good power is the Ford Racing Whipple HO kit. It comes with a fantastic tune from Ford and will make about 475rhwp on a stock motor. You can go with a bigger pulley to make less power and you can go with a custom tune to make more power in the future.

The only downside is cost. It's about $6500 or so but that's a complete kit with fuel pumps, injectors, tune, everything. Send a pm to Steve at Tasca (vendor on here) for actual pricing.

A more budget friendly way to make mid 400 rhwp with a pd blower is with a DOB Department of Boost kit. It will require some parts sourcing but you can easily have a 450rwhp setup with a tune from Manuel Pazo (lito on this forum) for under $3500.

A centri is another option. It doesn't have the instant power of a pd but when properly tuned you will have a pretty safe setup.

I hate to put out "safe" numbers because any motor can go at any time. Most 4.6 3v motors safely handle 450rhwp without issue. A friend of mine turned his Procharger up to 560rhwp, raced it all the time, and had no issues with the stock motor. I wouldn't do that but he did and it held up.

I'm sure you have heard it before but I'll repeat it, the tune is probably the most important thing for motor longevity. On a 3v motor the rods are usually the first part to go.

Rigmanpb

Reaction score
Thanks for the info I'll probably just get rods and Pistons then I'm sketchy on doing it but built plenty of 302 5.0s can't be no different

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
Thanks for the info I'll probably just get rods and Pistons then I'm sketchy on doing it but built plenty of 302 5.0s can't be no different

The motors go together fairly easy. Just make sure to use a machine shop who is familiar with modern motors and who has the equipment to machine for modern mls gaskets. If they don't have a profilometer to measure ra I'd call someone else.

The assembly manual with all the specs is here:

http://iihs.net/fsm/?dir=158

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back