460 fox body build.

fordracer666

forum member
Reaction score
May be trading a 56 Pontiac project car I kinda lost interest in
For a 87 fox notch . It has a 5.0 and runs and drives good
But I was playing around with the idea of running a bbf 460 with a c6 tranny .
Has anyone done this project in the past or been in a fox with a 460 swap?
The car is old enough so I don't need to do emissions in my state so I'm good to go there. Just thinking it would be a pretty street car fun car ! Any constructive criticism would be cool.

Mike Rousch

Official Vendor
Reaction score
May be trading a 56 Pontiac project car I kinda lost interest in
For a 87 fox notch . It has a 5.0 and runs and drives good
But I was playing around with the idea of running a bbf 460 with a c6 tranny .
Has anyone done this project in the past or been in a fox with a 460 swap?
The car is old enough so I don't need to do emissions in my state so I'm good to go there. Just thinking it would be a pretty street car fun car ! Any constructive criticism would be cool.

I have done a few of them back in the day, I would advise against it. It just turns into a nose heavy pig. You can put together a 400+ci windsor and be much happier with it. Or do a new 5.0 swap.

fordracer666

forum member
Reaction score
I have done a few of them back in the day, I would advise against it. It just turns into a nose heavy pig. You can put together a 400+ci windsor and be much happier with it. Or do a new 5.0 swap.

Ok cool good info. I was just having different ideas running through my head.
It has a good running 5.0 in it with some bolt ons maybe run it like that for the summer. Just looking for a fun nice day dd.

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I'll just put this on the table..... 408W.

Paul.

forum member
Reaction score
Meh, I've had a 422 ci SN95. Today, I'd do a Coyote/Shelby swap first.

fordracer666

forum member
Reaction score
Looking to do something on kinda a budget build .
If I had the money I would do the gt500 swap but that's not happening .

rcm90

forum member
Reaction score
A good friend of mine has a bbf/glide combo in his coupe. Obviously it's not a corner carver, but it sure gets down the track! I want to say its been a 5.3x in the 1/8th on a .076 jet without a controller sitting on 26x8.5" slicks.. And a good bit faster on a big kit and 275's.

sbt1320

forum member
Reaction score
Depends what you're looking to achive. I have played with the 385 family BBF for years, have run them in fox bodies and sn95, track only and street. Have good friend with Fairmount currently running a mild 514 crate motor running 9.8x's at 3400 lb What's the goal of the project?

I actually have a pair of NIB Kaase P51 aluminum cylinder heads complete less rockers sitting on the shelf.

fordracer666

forum member
Reaction score
Depends what you're looking to achive. I have played with the 385 family BBF for years, have run them in fox bodies and sn95, track only and street. Have good friend with Fairmount currently running a mild 514 crate motor running 9.8x's at 3400 lb What's the goal of the project?

I actually have a pair of NIB Kaase P51 aluminum cylinder heads complete less rockers sitting on the shelf.

I just want a fun quick street car . I will still have my 06 with a single turbo
I want to dd this notch on nice days. Oh haven't even made the deal yet but I think I may get it this weekend. Maybe throw a on3 setup in it!

sbt1320

forum member
Reaction score
Got ya, the 460 would be different than 98% of the notches running around these days thats for sure. My last one was a dd and was a blast to drive and so easy to make tons of power. Mike is correct you wont be hangin it out in any twisties thats for sure. Good luck with which ever way to decide to go if I can answer anything for you let me know.

irishpwr46

Official Site Vandal
Reaction score
keep the 5.0 in it and put a full maximum motorsports kit into it. the turbo 06 is good for getting the speed fix, but its nice getting the lateral G's on the off ramps and having fun in the corners

psfracer

billy badass
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I say make the S197 the corner carver and the fox the street/strip drag car.

As already mentioned it just depends on your goals. Will you be N/A or will you be using a power adder? Budget?

The P51 head mentioned above would be a great street/strip head, I made over 900 hp with them stock out of the box. You could go with the TFS A460 head, but beware it gets really tight on the passenger rear valve cover, makes spark plug changes fun.

A stroked windsor can make quite a bit of power with less weight to. Just a lot of things to consider.

fordracer666

forum member
Reaction score
Got ya, the 460 would be different than 98% of the notches running around these days thats for sure. My last one was a dd and was a blast to drive and so easy to make tons of power. Mike is correct you wont be hangin it out in any twisties thats for sure. Good luck with which ever way to decide to go if I can answer anything for you let me know.

That's what I was thinking it would be pretty fun and unique with the 460.
I'm not a big corner carving kind of person . Maybe hit the track a couple times a year! I just thought it would be different and cool with the bb and it seems like a pretty simple swap.

86GT351

forum member
Reaction score
Stock or Mild Big Block in a Fox is not cost effective. Build a Windsor based motor and build the car appropriately. Unless of course you want a really nasty engine, Big Block is not the way to go.

Jason09GT

forum member
Reaction score
Guy I know put a healthy 460 in a coupe years back...as mentiomed, it wad a nose heavy pig. Mounted flows right to the header flanges...it was loud, thump in your chest if you're within 15 feet of it brutal sounding, but 331's would run over it all day. I say 408, or at the very least a properly built 347. A 408 if done properly, will go 10's in a coupe all day long, a 347 has the ability to run 10's n/a also. A friend of mine did a prettty mild 347, tfs stage 3 cam equivalent (it was a comp cam, can't remember the model), stage 3 tfs heads, and a track heat intake, and with 3.73's in a '94 cobra ran 11.20's @ 118mph consistently..hell, he ran 12.0@120 on and off the throttle on nittos. Hedrove it daily, it was his only car, never made any passes with his nitrous kit, but it put down right under 400/400 n/a, and almost 600/650 on a 150 shot.

psfracer

billy badass
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
^^^^If you put a 460 based motor in a fox and couldn't at least run 10s, you are definitely doing something wrong….

SSPSTANGBANGER

LSx Slayer
Reaction score
I have had several stroked 302 based and 351w based combos from 450n/a to 750n/a and I would put a Big Block in my next street/strip fox in a heartbeat.
Alum head BBF is not as heavy as people think.

We had a 427bbc in a 96 gt go 5.9's on motor with a glide and 3.27 gears(mild hyd roller single 850 carb unported Brodix heads)
It went low 5's on a 200kit on 28x10.5's

Sent from my iPhone 5S

psfracer

billy badass
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I have had several stroked 302 based and 351w based combos from 450n/a to 750n/a and I would put a Big Block in my next street/strip fox in a heartbeat.
Alum head BBF is not as heavy as people think.

We had a 427bbc in a 96 gt go 5.9's on motor with a glide and 3.27 gears(mild hyd roller single 850 carb unported Brodix heads)
It went low 5's on a 200kit on 28x10.5's

Sent from my iPhone 5S

Plus, no one really builds a 460 anymore, its more like a 521/557/572/598. So when you take that into account, the advantage seems pretty clear (if one is going N/A).

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back