5.0 guys? CAI or no CAI?

Five Oh Brian

Mustang Guru
Reaction score
How's the noise with it? I keep hearing mixed responses. Some forum members say its a bit noisy, but then George will chime in and says that there should be almost no increased noise

The noise didn't go up much in my car, but that's probably because it was already noisy in my car from the adjustable LCA's I have that use spherical steel bushings on both ends instead of rubber or polyurathene. Everyone I personally know around here with the MGW shifter says that even with lots of dynamat installed around the shifter, they still hear a little more noise. However, the MGW shifter works so well that it's a worthwhile trade off, IMO.

RazorbackMustang

MT82 Lover
Reaction score
The FRPP Procal seems to do a semi decent job at transforming throttle response. If you let the dealer install it theres like a 12 month warranty

Yep. That's what I have and it was a good change. I picked up 3 MPH in 1/4 with zero traction. I feel it has a solid 115-116 trap speed in it. I paid the dealer $90 to load the tune aand drop in the filter. It was worth it as now I'm covered until the end of my 3/36 warranty. I'm very pleased with the tune. I've been driving it for 3,000 miles now without any trouble.

Five Oh Brian

Mustang Guru
Reaction score
Something just crossed my mind. Seems like most people buy their SCT tuners from a company that includes their own tunes (i.e. Bama, Lund, etc.). Seems that I'm the only one that is just running the canned tunes from SCT. SCT advertised 34 rwhp for this tuner with the 91 octane tune, so maybe more of you should try the canned tune to see how if compares to whatever tunes you paid extra for.

The canned SCT tune is conservative. It showed an A/F ratio of 11.9 on my car on the dyno at WOT, so it's a bit rich and totally safe. Total timing was 30 degrees. The dyno operator looked over the parameters and couldn't find anything worth changing, so we opted to leave the canned tune alone.

riored4v

Just Brew It
Reaction score
Yep. That's what I have and it was a good change. I picked up 3 MPH in 1/4 with zero traction. I feel it has a solid 115-116 trap speed in it. I paid the dealer $90 to load the tune aand drop in the filter. It was worth it as now I'm covered until the end of my 3/36 warranty. I'm very pleased with the tune. I've been driving it for 3,000 miles now without any trouble.

With the Procal, once outside of warranty can you use the same tuner to ship off to lund/aed/etc for a tune? Or does it only work through Ford? Was just reading about it on AM I can't really tell if its a tuner, or just something that only the dealer can provide a tune for you.

luv2drum1

Reaction score
The canned SCT tune is conservative. It showed an A/F ratio of 11.9 on my car on the dyno at WOT, so it's a bit rich and totally safe. Total timing was 30 degrees. The dyno operator looked over the parameters and couldn't find anything worth changing, so we opted to leave the canned tune alone.

I agree, 11.9 Air/Fuel mixture at WOT is safe, but 30 degree's max timing at WOT, I think is a bit on the wild side. Maybe your car is a factory freak that responds well to high timing. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. :thumb2:

luv2drum1

Reaction score
With the Procal, once outside of warranty can you use the same tuner to ship off to lund/aed/etc for a tune? Or does it only work through Ford? Was just reading about it on AM I can't really tell if its a tuner, or just something that only the dealer can provide a tune for you.

My understanding is that the Procal can only be used by Ford with their calibration software. You will have to purchase a SCT X-Cal or Diablo Predator in order to receive a custom tune from Lund or AED.

Rob72

No Japanese Mustang Here
Reaction score
I agree, 11.9 Air/Fuel mixture at WOT is safe, but 30 degree's max timing at WOT, I think is a bit on the wild side. Maybe your car is a factory freak that responds well to high timing. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. :thumb2:

I wouldn't run that high of timing unless I had a Boss intake if that is at WOT. And if that's a 91 octane tune I wonder what the 93 timing is? 32 or 33 degrees?

Last edited:

iceguyb14

Mustang Fanatic
Reaction score
Ask forum member, MarcS, about my '11 5.0L. He works for The Mustang Shop in Auburn, WA where I had the dyno pulls done and he witnessed the pulls and knows what little mods I have. Other people in the shop, Marc, and I were guessing I'd see about 375 to 385 rwhp based on the limited mods (SCT canned tune, K&N drop in filter, and GT500 axlebacks). All three pulls were over 400 with a best of 409 rwhp so we were all really surprised!

So, I went to the dragstrip a couple days later to see if that dyno number made sense. Before racing, I calculated that 409 rwhp would mean a 116 mph trap speed so I was very skeptical. However, after experimenting with my launch technique for a few passes, I was rewarded with 4 passes over 116 mph and one over 117. Those trap speeds support the 409 rwhp figure. On a side note, I weighed my car on the drive home from the track and it was 3,720 lbs with me in the car (I weigh 180 lbs, so the car is 3,540 lbs).

The only other mods on the car have nothing to do with power production: adjustable LCA's and M&H Racemaster 275/50/17 drag radials.

So, perhaps my car really is a factory freak. It is fully broken in with 10,000 miles on the odometer and I have driven it very hard since day one, which I've always preached as the best way to break in a new car. Oh, and this isn't my first factory freak, so I believe that my method of breaking in new cars works. My 2000 Mustang GT, 2003 Mach 1, and 2007 Mustang GT all went quicker than most people expected. I bought them all brand new and drove them hard from day one.

That's just instanely fast for the mods lol. If it is a factory freak, you're lucky! hahaha. I did see you're thread in the drag section and the DA at the time of the 116+ run that you posted was around -63 so that helped some, but it wouldn't help thaaaaat much.

RazorbackMustang

MT82 Lover
Reaction score

No, it works only with the Ford calibration. However, anyone with the same computer code can buy it from you and use it on their car if they don't have any more bolt ons than a filter catback.

Also, I saw where Ford Racing is offering to buyback the ProCal tools when you're done with them as apparently they have a huge shortage of tools.

I'm really pleased with the tune. It cruises just like stock, but there's a TON more down low torque. The torque just feels broader all the way around. A lot of people knock the tune, but it works and it's safe. I figured an extra $90 was worth the peace of mind warranty.

My car went 111 in the quarter when it was stock. I've gone 114 so far with the ProCal (shifting to 5th now lol), and that's getting sideways into third gear. I'm confident with some traction it'll run at least 115 since I won't have to lift off the throttle in second. It's also one of the cheaper tuner/tune combos available. I think I got mine for $360. That's the tuner, tune, and a K&N filter. Pretty good deal honestly. Good luck!

riored4v

Just Brew It
Reaction score
No, it works only with the Ford calibration. However, anyone with the same computer code can buy it from you and use it on their car if they don't have any more bolt ons than a filter catback.

Also, I saw where Ford Racing is offering to buyback the ProCal tools when you're done with them as apparently they have a huge shortage of tools.

I'm really pleased with the tune. It cruises just like stock, but there's a TON more down low torque. The torque just feels broader all the way around. A lot of people knock the tune, but it works and it's safe. I figured an extra $90 was worth the peace of mind warranty.

My car went 111 in the quarter when it was stock. I've gone 114 so far with the ProCal (shifting to 5th now lol), and that's getting sideways into third gear. I'm confident with some traction it'll run at least 115 since I won't have to lift off the throttle in second. It's also one of the cheaper tuner/tune combos available. I think I got mine for $360. That's the tuner, tune, and a K&N filter. Pretty good deal honestly. Good luck!

Hmm.. liking the sound of it even more now. I dont have any big plans and although I'll be putting an x-pipe, axle back, etc on, I'll be using the stock cats for awhile, so this tune might be worth it for me for awhile.

Whats the best place to purchase these if i decided to pick one up?

Thanks for all the info:thumb2:

RazorbackMustang

MT82 Lover
Reaction score
I got mine from www.fordracingpartsdirect.com. When you order you'll get the filter in a few days. In that will be a sheet that has your order code on it. You take the code and go to Ford Racing's website. There's a link for "Request a ProCal tool". You'll put in all your address info, your VIN, and your redemption code. You'll get your tool in a few days. Comes in a box with the tool and an SD card that has your tune on it.

I made a same day appointment at my dealer to have it installed. Took them about 40 minutes or so. It does take a about 10-15 minutes to upload the tune. Let me know if you have any other questions.

riored4v

Just Brew It
Reaction score
I got mine from www.fordracingpartsdirect.com. When you order you'll get the filter in a few days. In that will be a sheet that has your order code on it. You take the code and go to Ford Racing's website. There's a link for "Request a ProCal tool". You'll put in all your address info, your VIN, and your redemption code. You'll get your tool in a few days. Comes in a box with the tool and an SD card that has your tune on it.

I made a same day appointment at my dealer to have it installed. Took them about 40 minutes or so. It does take a about 10-15 minutes to upload the tune. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Man, after reading reviews and some of the feedback, i'm REALLY tempted to go this route. I love the fact I can keep my factory warranty (even more since I have the extended warranty) and get a tune to gain more power. Yourself and the reviews I've read have commented on the solid tq increase.

RazorbackMustang

MT82 Lover
Reaction score
I don't want to mislead you. You won't keep.your factory warranty. Your powerteain warranty will be reduced from 5yr/60k mile to a 3yr/36k mile. But, it's the only one that offers that.

RazorbackMustang

MT82 Lover
Reaction score
I'll be honest, I don't put a lot of faith in dyno numbers. I think the proof is on the track. I went from 12.80@111 stock with no other changes than the filter and FRPP tune. Went 12.55@114, spinning into third and lifting in second. Its a solid tune. Does it make eye popping power? No. It improves the performance. In fact, Ford Racing only claims an additional 16HP peak. It's the broadening of the curve that gets you down the track. ;)

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back