5.0 Swap or 4.6 Stroked+Head+cam what would you do?

G.AlMuhairi

forum member
Reaction score
Hey Everyone:hi:

simple and straight to the point, what would you do swap the 4.6 with the new 5.0 or keep the 4.6 and get 298ci+stage 3 heads+stage 4 blower cam+few etcs things.

If I go 5.0 it means i'll go N/A but if I keep my 4.6 I'll be swapping the D1 for a F1A.

so what do you think guys?

1andonlywhitie

The Australian...
Reaction score
Tough choice... I imagine building the 4.6 will be more efficient/easy to execute. But a 5.0 with a few goodies will be more reliable than a heavily built 4.6.

G.AlMuhairi

forum member
Reaction score
Moved to chit chat,

good luck on the choice :p

Sorry mate, and thanks for your help:asshat: LOL

I don't know guys $$ is an issue as I'm still 23 Just graduated from my Stupid Engineering studies :) and I paid every single penny for the stang, refused to take money from my old folks, so now I'm turning the car into a street/strip monster and I'm buying another car for work. the only thing I'm worried about is that I'll pay for the 5.0 and sell my procharger and engine and then starting from scratch !:asskiss3: and after that I'll end up on the same level

Last edited:

Rypper1

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Sorry mate, and thanks for your help:asshat: LOL

I don't know guys $$ is an issue as I'm still 23 Just graduated from my Stupid Engineering studies :) and I paid every single penny for the stang, refused to take money from my old folks, so now I'm turning the car into a street/strip monster and I'm buying another car for work. the only thing I'm worried about is that I'll pay for the 5.0 and sell my procharger and engine and then starting from scratch !:asskiss3: and after that I'll end up on the same level
If you are going to be building it for street/strip I think you would be better off with a stroker. After all, with the 5.0 you would have to build it to get more power anyway. JDM had a sale going on long block strokers if you are interested in that route. Then you can sell yours to offset some of the cost. I just built a stroker short block and it cost me more than they are charging for the long block by the time I had everything done. Lotsa people out there that will take your money and not do what they claim they are going to do. If you get one built by a single shop, you know where everything was done and no one can point the finger at someone else. Every time something went wrong with mine that is what happened.

G.AlMuhairi

forum member
Reaction score
If you are going to be building it for street/strip I think you would be better off with a stroker. After all, with the 5.0 you would have to build it to get more power anyway. JDM had a sale going on long block strokers if you are interested in that route. Then you can sell yours to offset some of the cost. I just built a stroker short block and it cost me more than they are charging for the long block by the time I had everything done. Lotsa people out there that will take your money and not do what they claim they are going to do. If you get one built by a single shop, you know where everything was done and no one can point the finger at someone else. Every time something went wrong with mine that is what happened.

the good thing is i'm not worrying about who is going to do my car, as my best friend owns a workshop here and everything on the car is done there. my car will be a project for the garage so everything is going to be :thumb:

i'm just wondering if the 5.0 will be worth it

Germeezy3

forum member
Reaction score
Quick answer no, unless you plan on boosting it in the future. A stock 5.0 will make your car slower plus the fact that its not just an easy swap.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
If you want a 5.0 there is a way to do it without stroking and with 3v heads. Build a modular boss. Keep the 4.6 stroke but the bore is bumped to 3.700". The block is reasonable, about $1200, uses 4.6 crank, 3.7 pistons aren't any more expensive than 4.6 pistons.

striker 5

forum member
Reaction score
Buy a crate stroker if you get a 5.0 you know you'll be in to the motor a some point . Makes sense with out buying the car . (gt500 swap priceless)

Rypper1

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
the good thing is i'm not worrying about who is going to do my car, as my best friend owns a workshop here and everything on the car is done there. my car will be a project for the garage so everything is going to be :thumb:

i'm just wondering if the 5.0 will be worth it

That makes it even easier. I still say put the stroked 4.6 in it. Like everyone else said, if you go with the 5.0 you will have to go into it to get the power levels you want anyway. And I think the 4.6 will leave you with more component options and be cheaper to do. Good luck with your build!:thumb:

Speed+Clinic

forum member
Reaction score
I would just sell the car and buy a 5.0 if you want to go that route. Im thinking of buying a 5.0 engine but not for my s197, I am gonna put it on something, very light. 2.4k lbs ish to go n/a.

Marc s

NASA AIX
Reaction score
Stick with the 3V and build a big bore with the F1. It will make a bunch of power.

Kuro!

Banned
Reaction score
You live in a desert, no AC sounds like a bad idea... 298 stroker sounds like a plan to me man.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back