550 hp @ 22 psi wtf? On e85

JoshK

Modder AKA Fuel
Reaction score
I hate to risk sounding like a broken record here, but I agree with what everyone else has advised. I would have taken it to another dyno or the track before making all that work for yourself.

I have a big bore stroker with an 80mm. I took it to a local dynojet to get some logs and it never did over 600whp there even at 20lbs. Left there with two melted pistons as well. Found out the load settings were way off on that dyno and they had someone there recalculating it a week or two later. Rebuild my engine and took it to another dyno. Same setup netted 812@20lbs on this other dyno.

palanza7

forum member
Reaction score
I hate to risk sounding like a broken record here, but I agree with what everyone else has advised. I would have taken it to another dyno or the track before making all that work for yourself.

I have a big bore stroker with an 80mm. I took it to a local dynojet to get some logs and it never did over 600whp there even at 20lbs. Left there with two melted pistons as well. Found out the load settings were way off on that dyno and they had someone there recalculating it a week or two later. Rebuild my engine and took it to another dyno. Same setup netted 812@20lbs on this other dyno.

Yeah definitely could have been part of the problem. Well that bore scope had me convinced i was seeing it way down in the block and knowing that the wrong pistons were in it as well led to me just pulling the head. Maybe I'll just put the head back on and call it a day at 8.8, get a smaller head gasket set or something. As of now its still a lot less work than rebuilding the short block.

Department Of Boost

Alpha Geek
Reaction score
I did notice the timing chains marked links didnt line up with the sprocket marks but i mean if i wasnt crashing into valves then that couldn't have been that off

Yeah i listed a bunch of stuff for sale.. Im just so pissed and burned out with this thing fucking me over that im considering a full part out and buying a 2016

The cams can be WAY far off without the valves contacting. Verify that the cams are degreed correctly. What cams are they?

Don't sell your car and get a 16'. Unless you're planning on using it as a daily driver and spending a LOT of money you won't be happy IMO.

I love the S550, but not as a hot rod.

palanza7

forum member
Reaction score
The cams can be WAY far off without the valves contacting. Verify that the cams are degreed correctly. What cams are they?

Don't sell your car and get a 16'. Unless you're planning on using it as a daily driver and spending a LOT of money you won't be happy IMO.

I love the S550, but not as a hot rod.

Cams are stock. I left the passenger head on to verify, granted I've never degreed a cam before but I'm sure i can figure out how to see where its at. Need to get my dial indicator and some sort of degree wheel right. I think comp has instructions online.

Yeah i dont really want to give up on the car. Just tired of feeling disappointed lol

I can put thinner head gaskets in there right?

Really its like do i change the pistons or not. If i do i mise well bump up the compresssion

Department Of Boost

Alpha Geek
Reaction score
Cams are stock. I left the passenger head on to verify, granted I've never degreed a cam before but I'm sure i can figure out how to see where its at. Need to get my dial indicator and some sort of degree wheel right. I think comp has instructions online.

You don't really have to degree them if the cams are stock. But make sure they're lined up correctly.

With your combo a set of 550's sure wouldn't hurt. And you have it apart..................

Yeah i dont really want to give up on the car. Just tired of feeling disappointed lol
That's part of the process!!!:clap:

palanza7

forum member
Reaction score
You don't really have to degree them if the cams are stock. But make sure they're lined up correctly.

With your combo a set of 550's sure wouldn't hurt. And you have it apart..................

That's part of the process!!!:clap:

going to double check cams in a bit.

so do I swap the pistons or be happy with 8.8 and my apparent 550rwhp limit lol
not sure i'll ever sleep well knowing my build is jacked by these pistons

Last edited:

Wes06

forum member
Reaction score
hmm....should always have 2 colored links exact opposite end's of the length.

if not a sharpie will work on those links, just gotta lay it out flat and find the 2 links on the end's

palanza7

forum member
Reaction score
Just blind. I spun it until it lined up, Yeah they are on both the marks. Maybe 8.8 compression with 20 psi and e85 just is 560rwhp lol i mean i have no clue at all what else could have been the issue at this point

JoshK

Modder AKA Fuel
Reaction score
Could still be the stock valve springs like Bruce mentioned. You have it apart so a set of cams and better springs are just a step away

Department Of Boost

Alpha Geek
Reaction score
Could still be the stock valve springs like Bruce mentioned. You have it apart so a set of cams and better springs are just a step away

I missed that. Yeah, he could be floating the valves.....or blowing them open.

James, what do you have for exhaust again? What's the pulley combo and how fast are you spinning it?

palanza7

forum member
Reaction score
Exhaust long tubes full 3 inch back, was spinning the tvs about as fast as it would go seeing 22lbs boost

Was a 10% od and 2.65 i think on the blower

Man pulling this engine out the top is straight up ass. The transmission housing bolts are tight as hell and it looks like i need to take off the damn starter too ugh

Well wish id have thought about the valves before tearing the engine apart. Like christ.

Last edited:

Department Of Boost

Alpha Geek
Reaction score
Exhaust long tubes full 3 inch back, was spinning the tvs about as fast as it would go seeing 22lbs boost

Was a 10% od and 2.65 i think on the blower

Man pulling this engine out the top is straight up ass. The transmission housing bolts are tight as hell and it looks like i need to take off the damn starter too ugh

Well wish id have thought about the valves before tearing the engine apart. Like christ.

Leave the trans on it and pull as one unit.

palanza7

forum member
Reaction score
Out the top? The trans will come too? Didnt know if it would fit

RED09GT

Equal Opportunity Offender
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Don't forget to try a different dyno when you get it back together, or at least have someone else with a known combo go to the same dyno.
I've been victimized by a stingy dyno only to take it to the track and find out that all is well.

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
I'm was thinking of pulling the engine and trans as a unit, I envision running out of extended travel on the jack stands at first so the trans clears the ground, and then the car body being too high as I rotate the tail shaft of the trans down (leaking fluid,) to pick the assembly out of the engine bay.

I also wonder where people pick the engine from. Exhaust studs?!

Department Of Boost

Alpha Geek
Reaction score
I'm was thinking of pulling the engine and trans as a unit, I envision running out of extended travel on the jack stands at first so the trans clears the ground, and then the car body being too high as I rotate the tail shaft of the trans down (leaking fluid,) to pick the assembly out of the engine bay.
Unless you have a T56 Magnum it has a tailshaft flange. Fluid doesn't come out.

I also wonder where people pick the engine from. Exhaust studs?!

I pick it from the manifold bolts in the heads (yeah, the 6mm ones, I use 8 of them though) and one of those China Freight engine picker/leveler things with the crank on it (it's a POS, but works).

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
You're right about the trans, damn it. I'll draw some of the fluid out first, anyway.

Leveller mounted at an angle - say front right to rear left? Need to remove headers.

I was thinking of pulling the manifold and using the intake bolt holes. Lots of prying action as the engine tilts.

Department Of Boost

Alpha Geek
Reaction score
You're right about the trans, damn it. I'll draw some of the fluid out first, anyway.

Leveller mounted at an angle - say front right to rear left? Need to remove headers.

I was thinking of pulling the manifold and using the intake bolt holes. Lots of prying action as the engine tilts.

The unit I got from China Freight has four chains/mounting points. I put them on intake ports 1&4 and 5&8. Is pulled a ton of them with this setup.

I have t had to pull headers, but I haven't dealt with the really long ones before. Li would try it and see what I got. If they didn't come out I would pull one header with the motor half out. That would be pretty easy.

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
Ah, you did mean intake manifold. People pull big iron Chevrolet's with 4 carb studs. The math works out for stress on the fasteners, I might make a plate in cad with a few lifting lugs on it, bolt it on like an intake. 3/8" brute, torque it down to limit the prying/bending I was talking about.

Thanks for the info.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back