5R55s strength?

Treecutter

Reaction score
I currently building a 460 to put into my 2006 v6 car. I was wondering how strong the transmissions are. Will they hold up to a 500hp big block. It will be mostly street driven with the occasional drag day. I really like the idea of the 5 spd behind the 460 but would be a lot of work for it to crap out quick.

SOzzy

Reaction score
In my experience, get something different. The 5r55 is just garbage and not much can be done to make it really last. The e4OD is huge, but would hold up better. Not sure if the 4r70w was ever used with a big block but it has a great reputation for reliability and can be built for more power. The 6R80 is excellent as well, but that would take a lot of work to adapt.

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
C6
You can bolt a 460 to a modular trans?

Treecutter

Reaction score
C6
You can bolt a 460 to a modular trans?
I’d like an overdrive so I could continue to drive the car as much as I do.

Yes there are several adapters available to bolt a 460 to a Mod transmission. I was going to build one.

07 Boss

Reaction score
Stay away from the 5R. I was at about 500 rwhp and I'm on my third tranny. You just can't put beefy enough parts in there for it to hold. I tuned my car down to about 460 rwhp as I'm not really racing her anymore and was looking for a little more longevity out of this one.

Back