5R55S Tranny Overhaul

GoFaster06

forum member
Reaction score
Need suggestions on what steps to take on getting my 5R55S fixed. Car still drives OK on street but @ track I'm losing ET & MPH. No more passes @ track till I get tranny fixed. Lasted 15k & over 130 1/4 mile passes since S/C installed. Who to use or not use to get it get it rebuilt stronger? Do I stay with the 5R55S or are there other options? I'm set on the following: Going with an upgraded converter (Circle D) & definately staying away from anything TCI. I'd greatly appreciate any good/bad experiences, you can share. Really need some direction in going forward on this expensive project, thanks.

Last edited:

Brezick

Yinzer
Reaction score
I just followed JDM's setup - converter, forged input shaft, deep pan, catch can. You can probably do the TCI servos upgrades too.

Short of that, a built one from Level 10, PA, etc.

GoFaster06

forum member
Reaction score
I just followed JDM's setup - converter, forged input shaft, deep pan, catch can. You can probably do the TCI servos upgrades too.

Short of that, a built one from Level 10, PA, etc.

Any issues so far? How long have u had the above setup?

Greg Hazlett

Stepping on the Pink Bus
Official Vendor
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I have the TCI hardened input shaft, PA deep pan, Amsoil tranny fluid, PTC TC, TCI servo's and the tranny catch can....no issues so far with 12 passes on it in Apr going through the beams at 7K.

retfr8flyr

The Old One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I would recommend giving Freddy Brown at FB Transmissions a call about a 4R70W setup. Freddy has a complete swap setup for our cars and is great to work with. I really wouldn't spend money building the 5R. The 5R just doesn't have the physical size in important ares to be built to handle high power and torque. It is just a ticking time bomb and you never know when it will fail. I wish I had gone this route instead of going with a built 5R.

It will cost a little more to change to a 4R initially but it will save you money in the long run and you won't have to worry about reliability.

Earl

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Earl I have heard this a million times but from what I have seen the built 5r55's do very well for quite a bit less. And they have an overdrive for daily driving.

Greg Hazlett

Stepping on the Pink Bus
Official Vendor
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
^^ that is a tough one to compare as there are so many things you can upgrade on both of them.

rayS197

Reaction score
Earl I have heard this a million times but from what I have seen the built 5r55's do very well for quite a bit less. And they have an overdrive for daily driving.
Im gonna agree here. Earl, you remember JDM and Brenspeed were putting the 5R thru tests and no issues. Running the shit out of their cars at every NMRA event. UPR has a 9 sec car with the 5R and has no issues that pulls a 1.3 60'. Seems to me everyone jumps to the 4R70 and just gives up. Patrick has 120 passes on his 5R and no problems. I wouldnt have bought all that shit for the 5R and installed it if the trans was a POS.

GoFaster06

forum member
Reaction score
Im gonna agree here. Earl, you remember JDM and Brenspeed were putting the 5R thru tests and no issues. Running the shit out of this cars at every NMRA event. UPR has a 9 sec car with the 5R and has no issues that pulls a 1.3 60'. Seems to me everyone jumps to the 4R70 and just give up. Patrick has 120 passes on his 5R and no problems. I wouldnt have bought all that shit for the 5R and installed it if the trans was a POS.

For the sake of future posts I'm going to stay with buying a built 5R.

GoFaster06

forum member
Reaction score
Im gonna agree here. Earl, you remember JDM and Brenspeed were putting the 5R thru tests and no issues. Running the shit out of their cars at every NMRA event. UPR has a 9 sec car with the 5R and has no issues that pulls a 1.3 60'. Seems to me everyone jumps to the 4R70 and just gives up. Patrick has 120 passes on his 5R and no problems. I wouldnt have bought all that shit for the 5R and installed it if the trans was a POS.

Do you have everything installed now? Do u know what Patricks username is on this board? What did you upgrade, where did you purchase, who installed? Thanks

GoFaster06

forum member
Reaction score

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back