5w-30 or 0w-30 in a 5.0?

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I have used 5W-30 with no problems, but I stick by my earlier position of not using anything thicker than that.

Sent from my toilet using Tapatalk

wproctor411

forum member
Reaction score
Yes, the all knowing owners manual. i mean, the SAME 5.0 MOTOR IS IN THE BOSS AD GT350 and uses a 50w. but yeah, the owners manual also says a lot of other BS that no one follows so who gives a shit. You guys with the owners manual excuse i sometimes wonder if you know anything out side of it. do you think going from a 20w to a 30w is going to blow your motor? lmfao..

The Boss engine has a different rotating assembly, piston coatings, cams, valvetrain, and the heads are CNC machined. The bearings are different as well and has tighter tolerances all around. Even the head bolts are different. Not so sure about the GT350 but if it is supercharged they may assume its a warn weather car. And both of these cars the factories can assume a different driving style would be used compared to a daily driver.

I am using 5w20 Purple

GrabberBooGT

forum member
Reaction score
Hey, OP here.

FWIW, I ended up going with 5w-30 with no problems. As discussed on many threads, the chances are pretty remote that you: 1) Have a problem; 2) Ford does an oil analysis and; 3) They pin it on slightly thicker oil. Besides, 5w-30 is going to thin out to a thick 5w-20 over time anyway, making the point mute.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Reaction score
Funny how everyone is debating about the 20 versus 30 weight in this thread.

Most 20 grade lubricants are on the heavy end of the scale.

Most 30 grade lubricants are on the light end of the scale.

Summary, they are very close in the cSt (Centistokes) measuring scale. The extra viscosity from the 30 grades are perfect for cars that are always revved to high rpm or supercharged.

We have began some UOA tracking charts for engine lubricants in the GT500, 5.0, and Boss 302 cars. You guys should check it out.

GT500 UOA chart

5.0 UOA chart

Boss 302 UOA chart

FEISTI

Reaction score
Because of unleashedbeast. Ive run 0w30 since my first oil change after 500 miles. I now have 7000 miles without a problem. I drove my car all winter in eastcost weather, and i dont baby it in the summer.

Since were on the outside the box topic. I changed my tranny fluid out at 500 as well for redline 70w80 and have never had an issue.

2012 5.0 manual

jaguarking11

Reaction score
To be honest I see this question asked allot. I doubt it will have any appreciable effect on ticvt or bearings or oil squirters or anything else.

Personally I use a 5-20 because its what is commonly available and brandx (not mentioning brand) of full synth goes on sale every few months so I stock up 5 quarts and a filter for 30bux and I usually buy 5-6 kits a year to have. They don't have brandx with a 0-20 oil on sale so I don't buy it, however if they had 5-30 on sale and not 5-20 then I would use 5-30, my car is a daily driver so it does not see much time at wot therefore 5-20 is just fine in my book.

With that being said, thicker oils will protect an engine under heavy stress, its been proven time and time again. If I were to track my car regularly I would not think twice about using a 5-50 oil or even thicker. The viscosity of all the oils mentioned here at full operating temps is negligible at best.

This being said, do what you must and stick to what Ford wants. I personally would not recommend anyone sway away from what the manual says. There are too many variables that can cause an engine to go south, the least of which is oil thickness. Oil thickness should be chosen based on duty cycle and load on engine, machining tolerances are tight on any ford engine, however they are not watch tight to the point where the bearings ride on a single atom thick layer of oil. However why give them a reson to deny if things go south.

You want to find out what oil thickness you should be using? Use a oil temp probe in the oil pan or one of the oil passages. If you see 350F+ daily then you may need a thicker oil.

JerryC

Reaction score
Personally I use a 5-20 because its what is commonly available and brandx (not mentioning brand) of full synth goes on sale every few months so I stock up 5 quarts and a filter for 30bux and I usually buy 5-6 kits a year to have.

Ever check your dipstick after you put 5 qts in?

JAJ

forum member
Reaction score

The auto parts stores usually put oil on sale as a "buy 5 quarts and a filter for xx$" special price.

I'm sure that jaguarking11 is fully aware that he needs to put 8 quarts in his Mustang. After every two oil changes he has a free extra filter he can sell on ebay.

JerryC

Reaction score
The auto parts stores usually put oil on sale as a "buy 5 quarts and a filter for xx$" special price.

I'm sure that jaguarking11 is fully aware that he needs to put 8 quarts in his Mustang. After every two oil changes he has a free extra filter he can sell on ebay.

A number of dealers werent fully aware... :)

jaguarking11

Reaction score
I put 6 quarts in my 07 and put 8 quarts in my 2012. Dipstick says its at full mark. The main reason I buy in large quantities when on sale is because I need more than 5 quarts. I wish ford put in a 10 quart sump from the factory, it would make things much simpler as well as give me more confidence to go 10k without a change.

edit:spelling

Last edited:

JerryC

Reaction score
I buy the 5qt jugs, leaves 2 extra for top offs, so far I've never needed more that 1. I change the oil every 5K, it would work out just right for 10k oil changes.

Jake1

Slow Mo
Reaction score
Back from the dead it comes, just useing
the search button like I was told.

I am wondering with a the talk of 5-20 and 5-30
Is there a reason why my 2013 5.0 track pack
takes 5-50? Its even writen on the fill cap on the motor
Just want to know because Iam looking at swtiching to
5-30....good idea or bad. And I drive the car like a sports car should be driven not like grandma.

Grabber Blue 5.0

forum member
Reaction score
The track pack cars spec 5w-50 for what they deem what the car will be used for. I would use a good 10w-30 though.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Reaction score
The track pack cars spec 5w-50 for what they deem what the car will be used for. I would use a good 10w-30 though.

I wish more people were smart like you are. Some of these knuckle draggers insist you will destroy the engine unless you follow Ford's recommendations.

I've always recommended a true synthetic 10W-30 for this application, as it will flow as well to 32*F as any off the shelf 5W-30, but will have a much lower NOACK volatility (evaporation/burn off).

Seer

forum member
Reaction score
I run Amsoil Signature Series 0w30 in my wife's 5.0 since she drives it year round in Pennsylvania. I wouldn't hesitate to run 10w30 though if she didn't drive it in winter. We get some very super cold days up here.

BSell

forum member
Reaction score
I wish more people were smart like you are. Some of these knuckle draggers insist you will destroy the engine unless you follow Ford's recommendations.

I've always recommended a true synthetic 10W-30 for this application, as it will flow as well to 32*F as any off the shelf 5W-30, but will have a much lower NOACK volatility (evaporation/burn off).

Help me understand why Ford would shoot their CAFE numbers in the foot by over-weighting their oil recommendation (5W-50) just for the Track Pack cars.

If anything, this seems to indicate they know severe service requires a more-viscous oil to maintain proper oiling.

TexasKyle

D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
They picked 5w-50 because Royal Purple doesn't make a 5w-50! Ok, probably not, so I will use their 5w-40 instead.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back