6mt transmission whine..

Trav4011

Hoosier Daddy?
Reaction score
If you guys are having whining issues.. I would insist on having it fixed (unless you just don't care about it). The whine indicates a lash issue, either caused by a bearing, shimming, or something wearing in those areas that causes a change in gear lash. It's certainly not normal, and although it won't cause the trans to explode or anything, it will cause abnormal wear and possibly premature failure later on.

Trav4011

Hoosier Daddy?
Reaction score
I got a call from the dealer today.. They replaced the TOB and fixed the rear end, per Ford's instructions on the Hotline. They put it all back together, and it still makes the same noise. So, they're tearing it out again, and waiting for Ford to tell them what to do next. The tech expects them to tell him to tear it apart and replace parts, or, that they're going to send another trans to put in and have that one sent back.

Travis

RSKtakR

Reaction score
I got a call from the dealer today.. They replaced the TOB and fixed the rear end, per Ford's instructions on the Hotline. They put it all back together, and it still makes the same noise. So, they're tearing it out again, and waiting for Ford to tell them what to do next. The tech expects them to tell him to tear it apart and replace parts, or, that they're going to send another trans to put in and have that one sent back.

Travis

Im curious as to what you mean by the bold statement.. ? I would LOVE to take my car to the dealership and tell them where they can find thier own friggen info since they cant seem to.. my rear end has noticable whine on decel only, not while accelerating, and sounds like flowing water while im driving it or like the sound a stuck brake caliper would make.. and LOTS of clunking while driving it around. everyone at Ford says this shit is normal.. NEVER in my life and the past 6 mustangs I have had, has a rear end made noise's like this.

Trav4011

Hoosier Daddy?
Reaction score
Ford has a "hotline", which techs can communicate with the engineers through a transcript on thier computer. Basically, you tell them what's going on, and they give you sollutions to test.

Some dealers are lazy, and some techs just don't give a crap. I would suggest that you find another dealer to work with. Also, going in the back and making "buddy-buddy" with the tech can go a LONG way in getting your problems solved.

Travis

Wnt2gofst

Banned
Reaction score
Ford has a "hotline", which techs can communicate with the engineers through a transcript on thier computer. Basically, you tell them what's going on, and they give you sollutions to test.

Some dealers are lazy, and some techs just don't give a crap. I would suggest that you find another dealer to work with. Also, going in the back and making "buddy-buddy" with the tech can go a LONG way in getting your problems solved.

Travis

There great to call and complain also when they can't fix your car. It makes stuff happen. Fast. I k ow first hand.

Sent from my iPhone4 using Tapatalk

Trav4011

Hoosier Daddy?
Reaction score
Went to the dealer today..

The tech said that Ford told them to remove the trans, drain it, and pull it apart to determine what needs to be replaced and the cost.

Apparently, the tech found tons of metal shavings in the oil, including what looks like pieces of syncro and bearing material (some brass, some steel).

Also, the dealer didn't even have the tools required to pull this thing apart.. Apparently, it's got some oddball metric HUGE allen head bolts or something that the dealership didn't have. So, the tech is telling Ford that they need to just send a new unit, and let them send this one back.

Here's a few pics..

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

The throw out bearing was f*cked.. The input shaft feels like it has an unusual amount of play in it as well. The trans makes strange sounds when rotated by hand. Who knows.. All I know is that I'm getting a new trans. :)

Travis

RSKtakR

Reaction score
Went to the dealer today..

The tech said that Ford told them to remove the trans, drain it, and pull it apart to determine what needs to be replaced and the cost.

Apparently, the tech found tons of metal shavings in the oil, including what looks like pieces of syncro and bearing material (some brass, some steel).

Also, the dealer didn't even have the tools required to pull this thing apart.. Apparently, it's got some oddball metric HUGE allen head bolts or something that the dealership didn't have. So, the tech is telling Ford that they need to just send a new unit, and let them send this one back.

Here's a few pics..

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

The throw out bearing was f*cked.. The input shaft feels like it has an unusual amount of play in it as well. The trans makes strange sounds when rotated by hand. Who knows.. All I know is that I'm getting a new trans. :)

Travis

who is your dealer? and you took yoru car back just because of the whining in the trans right?

Trav4011

Hoosier Daddy?
Reaction score
who is your dealer? and you took yoru car back just because of the whining in the trans right?

Terrebonne Ford in Houma, LA.

I took it in only for whining through 1st-4th. Now, like I said.. mine was whining horribly. Like.. you could hear it over the radio and whatnot.

Travis

RSKtakR

Reaction score
Terrebonne Ford in Houma, LA.

I took it in only for whining through 1st-4th. Now, like I said.. mine was whining horribly. Like.. you could hear it over the radio and whatnot.

Travis

mine sounds about like a twin screw under the hood..but it is only in 1st-4th to.

Trav4011

Hoosier Daddy?
Reaction score
Yeah.. that's what mine was doing.. 5th gear was absolutely silent. 6th MAY have made a little noise, but nothing like 1st-4th. It seemed to get louder as the trans warmed up.

Travis

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back