6r80 conversion

Tiddies

life in the slow lane
Reaction score
Thanks. I'll get a Circle D converter and the Exedy clutch packs maybe next year and cage the car. As for right now I'm done with it except for maybe a couple suspension parts. I'll just run it at the local track until they kick me off. So far the best it's been is 11.6@128 spinning badly in 1st and 2nd gear with 26" QTP's.

ill believe it when i see it lol.

stang910

forum member
Reaction score
ill believe it when i see it lol.

Lol well its not high on my priority list for sure.

I drove the car home today with only a couple changes to the trans tuning and so far I'm extremely happy with the switch. I was scared I wouldn't like the auto, but it's more fun then the manual. I gotta fix an exhaust leak and then I'll tune the trans better.

Godzirra

Asian Idiot
Reaction score
Finally got this project done. It's not as bad as many think. This past Saturday I got the mechanical stuff done and then on Weds. I had a Ford tech come by with an IDS to program the ECU. He couldn't figure out how to program the ECU so we gave up. Not gonna lie, I was getting kinda worried. I had him come by again today after I found out some important trans info was needed and after that was put in the PCM car fired right up. When I get some time I'll post up all the parts needed for the swap and what's needed to program the PCM.

I'd also like to know what all is involved parts and how to program and such. So the ford tech had a personal ids or he just brought one from the dealership? I too have wayyyyy to much in mine such as custom chassis reinforcement and my nitrous is very very wired into the engine harness due to the window and full throttle switches. It'd be worse getting it out than back in. Hoping you don't say I need a different engine harness lmfao

Last edited:

stang910

forum member
Reaction score
No the only harness you need is the battery cable harness, think I paid $200 for it. I'll get a list with part numbers going soon.

1950StangJump$

forum member
Reaction score
With little precedent, i.e. no parts list and no "how to," I can't imagine taking on this project on a car worth more than about $1500.

910, you got balls. Congrats on making it work.

DLM

forum member
Reaction score
OK guys i've got my 6r80 now, and I'm going to start buying the rest of the items needed. I have printed all the info off svt per bob450 list but I just want to verify on the electronic needs as the rest seems straight forward.

My car is a 4/11 build so I need a PCM an battery harness for that build date correct? Then I need to take the car to the dealer an get the PCM reflashed after the install with all the correct info from an auto car and the tranny info.

Sorry guys the electronic side is scary I dont want to have a car that will not run I still have payments to make lol.

stang910

forum member
Reaction score
I'm not sure if you absolutely need to get those from the same production date, but I know there's guys having issues with the ABS light staying on after the swap. I got my harness and PCM from the same production date and I have no issues at all.

DLM

forum member
Reaction score
That would be awesome I hope it goes this well for me. As for finding the right pcm an harness ford has a bunch of different ones stating just (before this build date an others listed after this date) so I assume I just get the one closest to my build date an let it rock for each part.

I want to make this swap look as clean as I can or it will drive me crazy. Thanks for your reply stang910 any other insight on this would be great.

bob450

Reaction score
when you talk about alot of harness do you refer as trans harness? from what i see there is nothing to do with abs they are close in pin out same for: o2, speed sensor, alt, pwr strg...etc i ran the car with manual pcm and auto harness you have only to trick clutch 2 wires:thumb2:
trans was not shifting (missing module in pcm) and no abs light as i get now:crazy:
keep me inform

DLM

forum member
Reaction score
Well the trans/battery harness has only 2 to choose from so I figure the ford techs can get me the correct one, but I was mainly talking about getting the auto PCM. I'm thinking from whats on fordparts.com I need to get the PCM that states (Vehicle Build Date between: 3/11/2011 and 5/24/2011) as my car is a 4/11 build.

bob450

Reaction score
in my opinion looking for pcm and build date is the main key to avoid the problem i got. dont forget all auto pcm are same only strategy change so maybe if you get wrong strategy you can always flash with an other (thing i have not try again)
my car build date is 01-12-11 strategy xfn3 (manual)
now auto eec strategy ygk1
abs light on and not working:thumb2:

DLM

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. Do you think any ford tech will know what to do programing wise or will I have to have a step by step list of what to program? If so I don't have a clue on what all he needs to program at all.

bob450

Reaction score
you can take a look at ecm stategy 4 digits is on side casting near pluggin, for tech well i really dont know my new ecm was already program by ford
i choose a ecm base on car i buy trans ( i was scary about trans not working ) this was my mistake i should take a look at a ecm from a car build close date to mine...

downtime!

IAMKONABLUE
Reaction score
Does anyone have a breakdown on this swap as far as cost goes? I'm considering an auto swap for my '12, mostly a strip car with limited street cruising time on nice weekends. I'm currently leaning towards the 4R70 swap with the Bauman controller. Thanks!

stang910

forum member
Reaction score
It depends on how you get your parts. I got everything used except for a few items and spent around $3000 total. Not sure if you can do it much cheaper then that without having a hook up.

downtime!

IAMKONABLUE
Reaction score
Thanks! That's considerably cheaper than the 4R70 swap. Another option to consider now.

DLM

forum member
Reaction score
Well I'm thinking I have the correct auto battery harness (DR3Z-14300-G) and PCM (CR3Z-12A650-AFB) picked out correctly for my car which was built on 04/25/11.

So hopefully I'll start the swap in a couple of weeks an get it finished over a weekend, and let you guy's know how it went good and bad.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back